GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Star Trek Episode

Second clue:

"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you."

George

I think that's "Data's Day,"

an interesting look at 24 hours in the "life of the android,

where those of us using our gut instincts can tell that the logical conclusion's

blinding him to the truth, since he's basing it on a false premise.

(i.e. 'I'm dealing with a Vulcan, and all Vulcans can be trusted...')

Riker utters this line about the bear around the end, if I recall correctly.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct.

The first quote was from the end of an exchange where Data tells O'Brien, "I have good news! Keiko has called off the wedding!" Of course, O'Brien stomps off to find out what's going on, puzzling Data, who thinks he should be happy to accede to her wishes. Geordi tells him, "Next time, let ME give the good news."

Had this clue not been figured out, I would have used Dr. Crusher's line, "You didn't tell me you wanted to dance AT A WEDDING!"

George

Shaka...when the walls fell. :(

Next Generation Episode "Darmok," one of my favorites. In fact, I was going to use Shaka.. next!

George

"Sokath, his eyes uncovered!"

Yes, it was "Darmok".

"How long can we sustain warp five?"

"As long as the Captain wants it. Or until we blow up, whichever comes first."

George

Taking a swing at this...

was this when the Enterprise had to deal with the alien baby,

"JUNIOR"?

Otherwise, if it was the NextGen Enterprise, that was VERY slow.

That thing's top speed was in the Warp 9-range, sprinting,

and it CRUISED around Warp 5, so it could have done that for a long time...

I forget offhand how fast the TOS Enterprise went,

but-except for Scotty-we didn't have CONVERSATIONS where engineers whined.

Edited by WordWolf

I have to admit that I'm useless with quotes from Enterprise, Voyager, and DS9. I watched them and enjoyed them (sometimes), but I rarely connected with them, as I did with tos, or next generation.

Having said that, it's obviously the episode Brent Spiner guested on where he played the ancestor of Data's creator. But I don't consider myself a winner, because I needed that major clue.

I'm tempted to say "Mirror, Mirror" from the original series, because Kirk says teh "I think we could be ... friends" line about a new recruit whose counterpart he met in the other dimension, but I don't think Bones used the other line. The scene from "Mirror, Mirror" was used in the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribble-ations" which "Forrest Gump"-ed several scenes from the classic "Trouble with Tribbles" but used the "Mirror, Mirror" scene when Sisko meets Kirk. Bashir helped O'Brien, and could have said the "I'm a doctor..." line.

Well, let's see. Hiway said he's useless with DS9 quotes, so I'll go with "Mirror, Mirror."

George

Getting closer (except for the prune juice part). Here's the deal: the Klingons were invading, but the point here was that Garak and Worf (among others) were headed to the Dominion homeworld (I think because Odo was sick). Garak tries to set of a bomb to blow up the Dominion homeworld, when Worf stops him. They tussle for a minute, Worf wins, and says the line I quoted. Garak comes back with "Come now Mr. Worf, you're a Klingon, don't tell me you'd object to a little genocide in the name of self defense!" The episode was titled "Broken Link."

Go ahead, WW. Your turn.

I think that's the Next Generation episode, where Wesley and some other cadets were responsible for the death of a classmate, while trying some super flying stunt, and they tried to cover it up.

That was a really good episode. Even had Ray Walston as Boothby.

That episode is called 'The First Duty.' The title almost certainly comes from an exchange

between Picard-who deduced what happened after the Enterprise crew investigates on their own-

and Wesley Crusher, pilot in Nova Squadron, covering up their attempt at the very dangerous-

and very outlawed- Kolvoord Starburst.

"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth! It is the guiding principle on which Starfleet is based! If you can't find it within yourself to stand up and tell the truth about what happened, you don't deserve to wear that uniform!"

BTW, on that quote, I think Locarno (played by Robert Duncan MacNeill, who later plays Tom Paris)

was right-Picard gave Wes a grand speech. Starfleet is more said to be guided by the "PRIME

DIRECTIVE" than some appeal to "truth". That's why it's called the "PRIME" directive, not the

"strong suggestion."

Go, hiway29.