GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Star Trek Episode

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol! point taken

dug up some others - different people, same episode:

"There is no honorable way to kill, no gentle way to destroy. There is nothing good in war except its ending."

"I am pleased to see that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."

(got one more that would be a dead give away)

It must be the episode with the Excalbians, the rock-creatures who get Kirk and Spock to team up with Surak and Abe Lincoln against Kahless, Col. Green, Genghis Khan, and some hag to see if "good" is better than "evil."

My wife always gets ticked at me when I tell her she's prepared a "worthy"meal, not realizing that I'm quoting "Lincoln" attempting to reassure "Surak" (not realizing the latter was already dead): "A worthy effort, Surak...Worthy!"

George

A worthy answer, George... worthy!

The Savage Curtain

(And here's the complete version of that cut off quote: "Captain’s log, stardate 5906.4. Who or what has been beamed aboard our vessel? An alien who has changed himself into this form? An illusion? I cannot conceive it possible that Abraham Lincoln could have actually been reincarnated. And yet his kindness, his gentle wisdom, his humor, everything about him is so right.")

Ciao!

It's not your turn, Michael.

However, being in a gracious mood and not having another episode at my fingertips, I cede my turn to you.

At first I was tempted to guess "Who Mourns for Adonis?" but I realized that the "god who bleeds" was actually Kirk in the episode where he loses his memory on one of the countless doomed planets in the ST universe, actually marrying one of the inhabitants. An eventual mind-meld with Spock restores his memory in time for the two of them to activate a repeller ray to save the planet. Kirk's pregnant wife dies, though.

George

It's not your turn, Michael.

However, being in a gracious mood and not having another episode at my fingertips, I cede my turn to you.

At first I was tempted to guess "Who Mourns for Adonis?" but I realized that the "god who bleeds" was actually Kirk in the episode where he loses his memory on one of the countless doomed planets in the ST universe, actually marrying one of the inhabitants. An eventual mind-meld with Spock restores his memory in time for the two of them to activate a repeller ray to save the planet. Kirk's pregnant wife dies, though.

George

OOPS! :redface:

My most humble appologies George....but you are correct, that was the episode.

Are there do's and donts posted somewhere in the thread so that I dont break regiment again?

thanks....

The first couple of posts in a thread usually give the rules. Sometimes parameters are added later, if an obvious way to "cheat" the system appears. For instance, in the "Name that..." threads, googling is not allowed, becuase they're supposed to be memory tests, not tests of web searching skills.

A general rule of the "Name that..." and "Pictionary" threads is that the person who correctly guesses gets to post teh nest line (or puzzle). Sometimes, the person whose turn it is may open it up to anyone, if he is uninspired, uninterested, or generally unavailable. We occasionally have "post-bys" where someone guesses correctly and then disappears. After a couple of days, anyone may jump in.

Specific to this thread, any of the "live" ST TV shows are open game, though you will find that many more players are familiar with the original series and NG than with the later series. And the person POSTING the lines may, of course, google for accuracy. Correct guesses must include the series and either the episode title or enough of a description to identify it (as I believe I did with my last two guesses).

That being said,

"I really am very grateful for all you've done. That is why I'm going to let you take your hand off my thigh instead of shattering every bone in your body."

George

The first couple of posts in a thread usually give the rules. Sometimes parameters are added later, if an obvious way to "cheat" the system appears. For instance, in the "Name that..." threads, googling is not allowed, becuase they're supposed to be memory tests, not tests of web searching skills.

The person posting SHOULD look it up to ensure more, and more accurate, quotes.

Anyone ELSE who looks it up has excused themself from guessing that round-

and should NOT post any clues or quotes unless the poster has vanished and isn't posting

anymore. Generally, at least one quote for every 24 hours is a good idea, and not

starting with an incredibly obvious quote that EVERYONE would get. That's a suggestion,

not a rule.

A general rule of the "Name that..." and "Pictionary" threads is that the person who correctly guesses gets to post the nest line (or puzzle). Sometimes, the person whose turn it is may open it up to anyone, if he is uninspired, uninterested, or generally unavailable. We occasionally have "post-bys" where someone guesses correctly and then disappears. After a couple of days, anyone may jump in.

Specific to this thread, any of the "live" ST TV shows are open game, though you will find that many more players are familiar with the original series and NG than with the later series. And the person POSTING the lines may, of course, google for accuracy. Correct guesses must include the series and either the episode title or enough of a description to identify it (as I believe I did with my last two guesses).

That means the cartoon ("the animated series") is excluded, but the original series ("TOS"),

Next Generation (NextGen or "TNG"), Deep Space 9 ("DS9"), Voyager ("VOY") and Enterprise ("ENT")

are not.

Please note that not so many people saw Enterprise, more saw Voyager, more saw Deep Space 9,

and TOS and TNG are pretty much universal. (But all of them are open for posting.)

If people are stuck after a few quotes, a clue is not necessarily a bad idea.

That being said,

"I really am very grateful for all you've done. That is why I'm going to let you take your hand off my thigh instead of shattering every bone in your body."

George

Hm.

There's a few possible people who may have said that.

From TNG, could have been Tasha Yar, but I doubt it's TNG.

Doesn't sound like the 2 later shows to me.

Sounds distinctly like Deep Space 9.

Most likely, Major Kira Nerys. (Also possible is Jedzia Dax.)

Who'd she say it to?

Hm.

Could be Quark. Could be Gul Dukat.

Could be someone else, but I think those are the most likely suspects.

But what the context is, I've no idea yet.

Edited by WordWolf