GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Star Trek Episode

Of course. Chief O'Brien was married, too.

As a Chief Petty Officer, O'Brien was not an "officer." Glad you figured that out. :)

This was the DS9 episode where O'Brien thinks there's some massive conspiracy, with everyone, including Keiko, in on it. Actually, he wasn't the real O'Brien,but a doppelganger who THOUGHT he was O'Brien.

George

Very Twilight-Zone-y, IMHO. Not that it's a bad thing.

The episode is called "Whispers."

The weak points of the episode: someone told Molly that something was wrong- Molly acts cold towards

"O'Brien." Aren't small children likely to tell everything?

Quark should be the best liar on the station- but he's a clumsy one here.

"I think it's one of the high numbers"? Shouldn't Quark be able to recite ALL the Rules of Acquisition

complete with number? Growing up, it's one of the cornerstones of Ferengi male education!

Quark cites them regularly, too.

(BTW, it's Rule 194.)

Your turn!

Edited by WordWolf

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"They cannot hear you, Captain. To their ears, you sound like an insect. That's your description, Captain. Accurate, if unflattering. Really there is nothing wrong with them."

"Am I behaving incorrectly?"

"No. It's just that I liked you the way you were before: stubborn, irritating, and independent."

George

Ok, I know this one, it's the one where people from the Enterprise mysteriously keep disappearing.  Unseen invaders who plan to take over the ship selectively speed up crew members, which makes them invisible to everyone else except for a sound like a buzzing fly going past, the dialog is between one of the invaders and Cpt Kirk. and secondly of the invading female love interest, of course.

"Is this the kind of wife you want, Ben? Not someone to help you. Not a wife to cook and sew and cry and need, but this kind. Selfish,vain, useless. Is this what you really want?"

"She took no drug."

"I swallowed it."

"Colored gelatin."

"Yes, they took away my drug

and substituted that."

"But that can't be."

"There's only one kind of woman. - Or man. You either believe in yourself, or you don't...Come along, Mr. Mudd."

Mudd's Women? Android wife comes out - HARRY!!! HARRY! MUDD GET OVER HERE.

"Is this the kind of wife you want, Ben? Not someone to help you. Not a wife to cook and sew and cry and need, but this kind. Selfish,vain, useless. Is this what you really want?"

"She took no drug."

"I swallowed it."

"Colored gelatin."

"Yes, they took away my drug

and substituted that."

"But that can't be."

"There's only one kind of woman. - Or man. You either believe in yourself, or you don't...Come along, Mr. Mudd."

Rummy! Welcome to the game!

We could wait for NowISee, but I'm sure you're right.

Actually, you have the title right, which is enough; but the episode you described is "I, Mudd."

(You should name the series, as well as the episode, by the way.)

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

Thanks for the clarification George - I am (and have never been) a big TV fan - so I remember those few episodes which had some interesting scenes. I'll endeavor to remember the episodes as well.

Of course one of the finest lines in all of Star Trek history is, "Revenge is a dish best served cold" but that one is an easy guess.

Rummy! Welcome to the game!

(You should name the series, as well as the episode, by the way.)

George

Well...both of you are right, Mudd was in two episodes, one called "Mudd's Women", and one called "I, Mudd", the one I posted is the first one, called "Mudds Women", the one RumRunner describes is called "I Mudd" the second one!  

RumRunner, do you remember this one, the first encounter with Harcourt Fenton Mudd?  He was snively and weasily in the first one, but even more so in the second.

The pill they took as described in the dialog I posted is the key to the plot, also miners on a lonely planet.

Ahh, The wrath of Kahn, love that line too, "Revenge is a dish best served cold", doesn't get any better than that!

Looks like we posted at the same time, I'll wait for your response, or go ahead and post a new one RumRunner!!

Edited by now I see

Well...both of you are right, Mudd was in two episodes, one called "Mudd's Women", and one called "I, Mudd", the one I posted is the first one, called "Mudds Women", the one RumRunner describes is called "I Mudd" the second one!  

RumRunner, do you remember this one, the first encounter with Harcourt Fenton Mudd?  He was snively and weasily in the first one, but even more so in the second.

The pill they took as described in the dialog I posted is the key to the plot.

Darned a 50/50 split - actually I think I remember both scenes - the first when Mudd was rescued from a desert planet with three women who took pills to stay young and beautiful - and wasn't the other one that took place on a space station - The trouble with tribbles or something? Wasn't that when McCoy (DeForest Kelley) said Jim - tribbles are born pregnant? and Scotty (James Doohan I think?) got in a bar fight with the Klingons?

Edited by RumRunner

I added some more in editing....

Shoot, you're right on that, I didn't remember the Trouble with Tribbles, but now I remeber Kirk held the Tribbles up to Harry Mudd and they Kooed instead of scream like they did with the Klingons, and he said, "Well, there's no accounting for taste"!

So three episodes, one on the planet and the Enterprise, one with the tribbles and one on the space station

Edited by now I see

Looks like we posted at the same time, I'll wait for your response, or go ahead and post a new one RumRunner!!

You post friend - I don't know enough Star Trek to post anything interesting.

Me neither, I really should give George at shot at it since he guessed it right too, now there's someone who know his Star Trek!

Yep, you're right about Scotty sampling the bar and getting in a fight over the Enterprise engine I think, and not over slandering Captn Kirk, and Bones comment about being born pregnant-all from the Tribbles episode.  The episode I posted on was another which was about the lonely miners on a planet whom Mudd was bartering ladies to, they were enhanced by these big pills they took and became beautiful, I think the other one with women was that he was making female androids on a space station to barter, very similar plots really.

A classic series.

Edited by now I see

Yep, you're right about Scotty sampling the bar and getting in a fight over the Enterprise engine I think, and not over slandering Captn Kirk,

Yep - you are correct to my old and increasingly vague memory. Kirk asked Scotty how he got arrested - Scotty said something like well they called you a scum sucking Way Corps grad - Kirk says so that's when you hit him? No... - A few more similar questions - finally Kirk is frustrated and asks Scotty what happened - Scotty says something to the effect of - well they called the Enterprise a cheap scow - that's when I hit them... Something like that...George your expertise please?

Yech how I hate computers - now I see was correct - my initial post contradicted now I see - sorry for the confusion

Edited by RumRunner

That sounds about right, that was a good episode! I think TvLand channel still broadcasts the original series, I haven't watched it in ages, but when the tv show first came out in the '70's, my father liked it so much we would sometimes watch it while we ate dinner! Which is something I would never do with the kids, but he loved the series.

No biggie, its a one dimentional medium... :)

Edited by now I see

I think you're confusing THREE episodes.

Harry (Harcourt Fenton) Mudd appeared in TWO episodes-

1) Mudd's Women- Mudd (and the Venus drug) was peddling brides to lonely miners at a dilithium mining station.

2) I, Mudd (like "I, Robot")- Mudd was trapped on a planet of androids- at first their ruler, then their prisoner

(He also had an episode of the cartoon- "Mudd's Passion." )

"The Trouble with Tribbles" featured the fast-talking salesman, CYRANO JONES. (I used to confuse him with Mudd, too.)

I thought that I had read that "The Trouble with Tribbles" was originally supposed to be a Harry Mudd episode, but that Roger Carmel was unavailable. A quick check of the internet does not bear this out, however.

Anyway, I say we give RumRunner a shot if he's willing.

You don't have to remember lines by heart. If you remember an episode, google it. IMDb and Memory-Alpha have many lines from Star Trek episodes. For example, if you wanted to do the NG episode "Q Who?" google "Q Who" and "quotes." You get a slew of choices.

Some entire scripts (including all NG and DS9 scripts) are available at TWIZTV

George

I'll take a shot I guess. I'm really no good at Star Trek so forgive me if I post this and just show up on rare occasions.

You may not trust me, but you do need me. You're not prepared for what awaits you.

How can we be prepared for that which we do not know? But I do know that we are ready to encounter it.

Good one RumRunner!  :dance:

Thanks for the clarification WordWolf, the I, Mudd a take off of I, Robot is hilarious, it fits.  :rolleyes:

Coincidentally, there was a program on the History channel last night which followed the 40th anniversary auction of Star Trek memorabilia from the Paramount Studio's storage.  It detailed many of the one of a kind items thru their journey from the show to their moving to Christi's Auction House to their sale to the individual buyers with Leonard Nemoy hosting, it had a lot of heart and is worth watching even if you're not a dedicated Trekie.  Here's a link to what was sold, the auction actually happened in 2006:

http://www.christies.com/special_sites/startrek/overview.asp

Live long and prosper.....

Edited by now I see

"Remind me to stop trying to help people."

"I found these schematics in the Vulcan database. It's a Raptor-class scout vessel."

"How long will it last down there?"

"Its hull's at least twice as thick as ours, reinforced with some kind of coherent molecular alloy."

"Yeah, it's a tough little ship, but it can't hold up under that pressure forever."

"Oh, it certainly feels nice to be clean again."

"It is...pleasant."

George

I just saw the New Star Trek movie. I think it was excellent! New cast (with leornard Nymoy playing the older spock). The last movie they made I think was 2002 nemesis. was a let down. Won't comment on it unless every here who is a fan sees it.

I definitely will see it, but haven't yet. In the meantime...

"It's called gagh. It's a Klingon delicacy, but only when they're alive."

"They look like worms."

"They are worms."

"Are you all right?"

"I promised myself I wouldn't do this."

"You're in a dangerous situation in an alien environment. Your anxiety is understandable."

"Don't you mean, 'for aHuman' ?"

"You can't deny your nature."

"I decided to take your advice about thinking like a Klingon. The Vulcan database has about 900 pages on them."

"Learn anything?"

"Plenty. They're driven by a warrior mentality. They tend to view anyone they meet as a potential enemy."

"That may explain why our guest is so irritable."

"Remind me to stop trying to help people."

"I found these schematics in the Vulcan database. It's a Raptor-class scout vessel."

"How long will it last down there?"

"Its hull's at least twice as thick as ours, reinforced with some kind of coherent molecular alloy."

"Yeah, it's a tough little ship, but it can't hold up under that pressure forever."

"Oh, it certainly feels nice to be clean again."

"It is...pleasant."

George