• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"There's one thing I don't understand. Doesn't gik'tal mean 'to the death'?"

"You... speak Klingon?"

"Sir... is there really such a thing as the gik'tal challenge?"

"No... there is not....

But perhaps the next time you are judged unfairly, you will not have to suffer so many

bruises before you protest."

Next Generation. I don't remember the title, but one of the cadets from "The First Duty" has been posted on the Enterprise. Picard gives her a hard time. Worf "teaches her a lesson" by having her fight blindfolded, ending in the exchange quoted. She winds up being picked for a secret mission, during which she is captured (and killed?) by the Cardassians.

George

Next Generation. I don't remember the title, but one of the cadets from "The First Duty" has been posted on the Enterprise. Picard gives her a hard time. Worf "teaches her a lesson" by having her fight blindfolded, ending in the exchange quoted. She winds up being picked for a secret mission, during which she is captured (and killed?) by the Cardassians.

George

Right.

"Lower Decks."

I really liked this episode, because it gave a rare look at some of the JUNIOR officers on the ship,

of whom. there's hundreds.

It also mentions that one of the cadets from Nova Squadron's disaster in "the First Duty",

Ensign Sito (Sito Jaxa, a Bajoran) graduated and served on the Enterprise at Picard's request.

(We'll never hear of Locarno again, because he's played by the actor who plays Tom Paris-

and Locarno was rejected as the character he was to play in Voyager.

One of the 5 was Josh Alpert, who died, one was Wesley Crusher, one was Locarno,

one was Sito Jaxa. Hm. I wonder if they ever wrote about the 5th one.)

Worf was an officer who appreciated Ensign Sito's performance, and she was a student

in some of his martial arts classes.

One of the best scenes, IMHO, was when they were playing poker, and the senior staff

was playing poker, and the camera cut back and forth between the games and conversations.

Your turn, George.

I suppose that if I add the context to my first quote, it will be more obvious.

"She named the child 'Leonard James Aka-ar'???"

"I think it's an excellent name, don't you, James?"

"Indeed I do, Leonard. What do you think, -----?"

"I think that the two of you will be insufferably pleased with yourselves for a solar month, SIR!"

George

I think it's the Next Generation episode "The Defector." A Romulan general believes that the Empire is building a war outpost in the Neutral Zone and thinks that out-and-out war with the Federation is a bad idea. The Enterprise heads off to the Neutral Zone, only to find out that the general had been fed misinformation.

George

No, not this time.

"You're going to have to get the Enterprise to the Neutral Zone before it's too late."

"Splitting hairs is a figure of speech I recognize, Commander. Speaking for those whose hair is soon to be split, forty-eight minutes may make a great deal of difference.

Excuse me -- forty-seven minutes."

"Bingo?

I fail to see the relevance, Doctor. Is that not a reference to an ancient Earth game?"

(And there's one of the famous "47s" which began appearing in scripts after the original

series and the cartoon.)

"You're going to have to get the Enterprise to the Neutral Zone before it's too late."

"To be precise, Commander, you ordered me to reach the Neutral Zone 'before it is too late.'

I have computed the length of time the border outpost and USS Berlin can safely withstand a Romulan

attack... deducted our time to destination at maximum warp speed. That leaves Doctor Crusher with

forty-eight more minutes..."

"Splitting hairs is a figure of speech I recognize, Commander. Speaking for those whose hair is soon to be split, forty-eight minutes may make a great deal of difference.

"Bingo?

I fail to see the relevance, Doctor. Is that not a reference to an ancient Earth game?"

(And there's one of the famous "47s" which began appearing in scripts after the original

series and the cartoon.)

"I think I may sneeze."

"A Klingon sneeze?"

"Only kind I know."

The "Klingon sneeze" only appeared once, in the first season, I believe.

I believe you are correct.

Was it "The Neutral Zone," where some cryogenically-suspended humans are found and actually help in a confrontation with the Romulans?

George

No, this is not that episode.

Although I think that's an awfully vague name to give to an episode, don't you?

"Where're you boys off to?"

"Skiing, sir. Our instructor has us scheduled for the Swiss Alps, sir."

"Save us some deep powder."

"No problem, sir. The Holodeck has all you'll ever need."

"..Searching the galaxy for survivors seems a petty task for one of their mighty vessels."

"We don't consider even one survivor petty."

"Is this man suggesting that we place a lesser value on life than you do?"

"Not at all."

"To be precise, Commander, you ordered me to reach the Neutral Zone 'before it is too late.'

I have computed the length of time the border outpost and USS Berlin can safely withstand a Romulan

attack... deducted our time to destination at maximum warp speed. That leaves Doctor Crusher with

forty-eight more minutes..."

"Bingo?

series and the cartoon.)

"I think I may sneeze."

"A Klingon sneeze?"

"Only kind I know."