GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Star Trek Episode

"Birthright." NG, though it crosses over with DS9, as Dr. Bashir helps Data with his problems. Worf hears that his dad was a prisoner in a Romulan camp. He goes there. Instead of finding his dad, he finds a community of Romulans and Klingons working together. He brings some of the Klingons home, promising not to give away the secret to the Klingon/Romulan planet.

George (new clue to follow)

Honestly, this was a 2-parter, and should have been 1 episode on Data and 1 on Worf.

Data's episode: a power-surge trips an inert program in Data, his dreaming program, for the

first time, and he seeks to understand his dream-which included his inventor, his "father"

Dr Soong.

Worf's episode: he's approached by someone who claims his father survived Khitommer, and

follows the trail to a Romulan camp of Klingon prisoners (his father was never there),

and re-introduces Klingon culture to the descendants of the original prisoners,

many of whom wish to return to the Klingon Empire and leave the camp.

(Eventually, they are released, providing they maintain the secret existence of the camp.)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I would have cherished you, cared for you. I would have loved you as a father loves his children. Did I ask so much?"

"We've outgrown you. You asked for something we can no longer give."

"You will dismantle your ship for the supplies you will need; then I'll crush its empty hull. I have been too patient. I shall be patient... no longer."

"Captain, we've got to do something!"

"We were doing something, until our brave lady stepped in and saved us."

George

"A what?"

"Certainly you know what a 'headache' is, Doctor."

"Of course. But I don't often encounter one."

(Personally, I think that's bs, since Geordi REGULARLY got headaches due to his

'VISOR' interface. Also, 1000 people on the ship, and NOBODY complains of

headaches? C'mon....)

"What are these Ferengi up to? 'Stand by, Enterprise.' Stand by for what?"

"It may be true that headaches were once quite common... but this was in the days before the brain was charted...

... before we understood the nature of pain... when we were suffering from such things as the common cold."

(Personally, I think that's bs, since we've seen characters GET colds, including Wesley.

But this script suggests otherwise. Somebody's overly optimistic about the future....)

I'll still give someone else a chance to answer, but this episode is the first time we hear of "The Picard Maneuver." Is the Picard Maneuver:

a.) pulling your jersey down every time you stand up;

b.) surrendering to a hopelessly overmatched adversary in order to open communications; or

c.) going to warp, coming out right next to an enemy ship (inside their shields), and opening fire?

George

"A what?"

"It may be true that headaches were once quite common... but this was in the days before the brain was charted...

... before we understood the nature of pain... when we were suffering from such things as the common cold."

"It's an old style starship, Constellation Class, heading this way under impulse power, sir."

(The scripts all read "Constitution Class", but it was dubbed in post-production, since they

decided to make a new ship class for this episode.)

"Do not be alarmed. It is a gift from us...with which we honor the 'Hero of Maxia.'"

"A what?"

"It's an old style starship, Constellation Class, heading this way under impulse power, sir."

(The scripts all read "Constitution Class", but it was dubbed in post-production, since they

decided to make a new ship class for this episode.)

"Do not be alarmed. It is a gift from us...with which we honor the 'Hero of Maxia.'"

"But now that vessel is yours, if you wish to have it."

"We are not selling it to him?"

"Call it an act of friendship."

"At no cost!? Ugly. Very ugly!"

"USS Stargazer. Constellation Class. Starfleet Registry NCC 2893."

"The Battle." At the Battle of Maxia, Picard had defeated a Ferengi ship when commanding the Stargazer, by using what would be called "the Picard Maneuver." (Choice C in my previous post.) The Stargazer sustained heavy damage and had to be abandoned. Present time: Damon Boch brings a repaired Stargazer as a gift to Picard. He uses a mind-control device to convince Picard (the source of his headaches) to board the Stargazer and to attack the Enterprise. Data devises a counter-measure to the Picard Maneuver, saving the ship and bringing Picard out of his delusion. Damon Boch is relieved of duty by his first officer, since his revenge scheme was considered "unprofitable." This was back when Ferengi were still considered a threat.

George

Now THAT's the germ for an interesting story....

the Ferengi did not participate in the Dominion wars....

so the Ferengi Marauders are still around, but at the end of the war,

everyone else's supplies of warships are low.

Sounds like an opportunity....

"Scan, scan, scan... that's all you people ever do! I've been through every deck on this ship and do you know what I've seen? Bipeds pushing buttons, bipeds running diagnostics, bipeds replacing relays. When are you going to do something interesting?!"

George

Most likely spoken by a non-biped.

That probably means a Q, or a changeling like Odo or an elasomorph or something.

Odo's rarely snarky like that, and the others of his race LIKE bipeds scurrying about.

So, I suspect this was a Q, probably Q himself, the snarkiest Q there is.

At a guess, this was when Q lost his powers and spent an episode as a mortal human male.

Right about Q, wrong episode.

"I like you, Aunt Kathy! You've got gumption!"

"Scan, scan, scan... that's all you people ever do! I've been through every deck on this ship and do you know what I've seen? Bipeds pushing buttons, bipeds running diagnostics, bipeds replacing relays. When are you going to do something interesting?!"

George

Hopefully, this will give it away...

"I'm not a parent."

"Maybe not in the biological sense, but you're certainly a mommy to this crew. Just look how quickly you housebroke that Borg drone!"

"I like you, Aunt Kathy! You've got gumption!"

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

Yeah, after I guessed, I checked and saw that I was wrong. i figured if any episode featured Q and had the word gumption in it, it would be the Q and the Gray. Oh well.

I was tempted to guess "Q2" as a joke.

There was a Star Trek:TNG Collectible Card Game (ST:TNG CCG).

It worked a little like Magic:the Gathering, and was made back when EVERYONE was making

a CCG. (I have some cards from the Monty Python Holy Grail CCG.)

CCGs were/are of 2 kinds: battle or quest.

M:tG is a battle game- 2 players have their cards fight it out.

ST:TNG CCG is a quest game- 2 players attempt to complete missions before the other player does.

Some cards can interfere with the playing of other cards- those in the ST:TNG CCG that can

be played to do that anytime are called "Interrupts" (they can interrupt the action.)

One "interrupt" is Q-2. It can be played anytime, and it cancels the actions of the cards

"Q" "Amanda Roberts" and "Kevin Uxbridge." The picture on the card was of the other Q Continuum

member who showed up when Q lost his Q powers.

So, my saying that would have been a joke that would have been the correct answer

by chance.

Okay, this next is from memory...

"It is a warning."

"A warning?"

"To the spirits. A warning that a Klingon warrior is coming."

"Why do you mock me? Why do you wish to anger me?"

"Only to see if it is still possible."

"You look for the battles in the wrong place. The true test of a warrior is not without, it is within."

George