GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Star Trek Episode

Tapestry? I think that's the name of the episode...

"Who Watches the Watchers."

But your description is otherwise correct.

Picard has to set a civilization to rights after they think he's a god "The Picard" and try to worship him and do sacrifices to him. He ends up showing them that he's human by letting them shut an arrow at him and showing them he's injured and bleeds.

It's supposed to be an episode where we learn how important is to follow the Prime Directive.

One of the more interesting things about the episode is the writing slant.

To have ANY religious beliefs is equated with human sacrifice (killing Deanna),

fear, superstition, the Dark Ages, inquisitions, and holy wars.

Furthermore, Picard's FINE with a local just dying if it means the Prime Directive is upheld.

(Funny how the Bajorans' beliefs weren't this problematic, nor Chakotay's....)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Who Watches the Watchers."

But your description is otherwise correct.

Sorry about that. I was trying to remember the name of the episode and for some reason I confused those two.

One of the more interesting things about the episode is the writing slant.

To have ANY religious beliefs is equated with human sacrifice (killing Deanna),

fear, superstition, the Dark Ages, inquisitions, and holy wars.

Furthermore, Picard's FINE with a local just dying if it means the Prime Directive is upheld.

(Funny how the Bajorans' beliefs weren't this problematic, nor Chakotay's....)

For what I gather of ST views on religions... if you have a religious belief and you are part of a pre-warp civilization, your views are wrong and they are as you say equated with all those things.

BUT if you have a religious belief and you are part of a post-warp civilization all is well and you're an enlightened being who can have both science and religion without internal conflict or any kind.

Ok, new episode...

"When I engaged the impulse engines, I noticed the ship's weight distribution was a little off. So the last time you went to waste extraction... I snuck back to the cargo bay and took a look around."

"When did you get so smart?"

"I've always been smart, Brother. I've just lacked self-confidence. Of course, I could forget everything I saw."

"How much?"

"Twenty percent of the profits."

"And I suppose you'll want a cut, too?"

"As a Starfleet cadet, it's my duty to report any violation of Federation law to my superiors immediately. But then again, I haven't been sworn in yet. I'll take ten percent."

"But doesn't this Gabriel Bell human look just like Captain Sisko..."

"All humans look alike."

What are they doing?"

"Maybe their universal translators are broken too."

"If this hadn't worked, it would have been necessary to beam your energy into empty space–"

"– and spread my atoms across the galaxy!"

"Yes, I'm sorry, it–"

"No, no, don't be sorry. Every time I get into the damn thing I'm convinced that's what's going to happen."

"Scientists believe no experiment is a failure. That even a mistake advances the evolution of understanding. -... - But all achievement has a price. For one brief glimpse of the mysterious blueprint of human evolution, the men and women of the USS Lantree paid with their lives. Their sacrifice is thus noted in this scientists log."

"Doctor... God knows I'm not one to discourage input, but I would appreciate it if you'd let me finish my sentences once in a while."

"Medical research is sometimes a risky business. It's all part of being human."

George

"If this hadn't worked, it would have been necessary to beam your energy into empty space–"

"– and spread my atoms across the galaxy!"

"Yes, I'm sorry, it–"

"No, no, don't be sorry. Every time I get into the damn thing I'm convinced that's what's going to happen."

"Scientists believe no experiment is a failure. That even a mistake advances the evolution of understanding. -... - But all achievement has a price. For one brief glimpse of the mysterious blueprint of human evolution, the men and women of the USS Lantree paid with their lives. Their sacrifice is thus noted in this scientists log."

"Doctor... God knows I'm not one to discourage input, but I would appreciate it if you'd let me finish my sentences once in a while."

"Medical research is sometimes a risky business. It's all part of being human."

George

That first quote's obviously Dr Pulaski.

Let's see, the USS Lantree....Oberth-class ship (creaky-old science vessel) IIRC, involved in science.

Is this the one where "Darwin Station" bioengineered these kids so that they would survive anything,

but their own bodies' own immune systems would kill off other humans?

Right. "Unnatural Selection." The kids' immune systems trigger rapid aging in everyone else. Pulaski and Data investigate in a shuttle, and Pulaski gets afflicted. The solution is to "fix" her in the transporter, but they have no genetic data, since she never used the transporter. Data and Geordi find a hair in a hairbrush that they can use to set the transporter buffer. At the end, the Enterprise obliterates the Langtree.

One of my favorite exchanges was between Pulaski and Data, but it doesn't come across well in print. Pulaski refers to him as "Deah-ta," which he corrects to "Day-ta." "Deah-ta, Day-ta, what difference does it make?" "One is my name, and the other is not!"

You're up, Mr. Wolf.

George

Right. "Unnatural Selection." The kids' immune systems trigger rapid aging in everyone else. Pulaski and Data investigate in a shuttle, and Pulaski gets afflicted. The solution is to "fix" her in the transporter, but they have no genetic data, since she never used the transporter. Data and Geordi find a hair in a hairbrush that they can use to set the transporter buffer. At the end, the Enterprise obliterates the Langtree.

One of my favorite exchanges was between Pulaski and Data, but it doesn't come across well in print. Pulaski refers to him as "Deah-ta," which he corrects to "Day-ta." "Deah-ta, Day-ta, what difference does it make?" "One is my name, and the other is not!"

You're up, Mr. Wolf.

George

I thought she called him "DAH-ta", when his name's pronounced "DAY-ta."

Something like that. But I liked his explanation.

"One is my name, the other is not."

:biglaugh:

==========================

"I avoided the first thrust... he came at me again... I hit him with a left jab... there was a furious exchange of blows. The next thing I knew, his knife was at my throat... so I twisted it from his grasp and plunged it into his chest."

"I avoided the first thrust... he came at me again... I hit him with a left jab... there was a furious exchange of blows. The next thing I knew, his knife was at my throat... so I twisted it from his grasp and plunged it into his chest."

"Rule of Acquisition number two-eighty- six: When Morn leaves, it's all over."

"There's no such rule."

"There should be."

"There's nothing pretty about watching a man die. It's something I'll have to live with the rest of my life."

"Go'Eveh... lu cha wabeh... Mo ka re'Chos."

"Rule of Acquisition number two-eighty- six: When Morn leaves, it's all over."

"There's no such rule."

"There should be."

"There's nothing pretty about watching a man die. It's something I'll have to live with the rest of my life."

"Go'Eveh... lu cha wabeh... Mo ka re'Chos."

"N'Gos tlhogh cha!"

"I am Quark, son of Keldar... and I have come to answer the challenge of D'Ghor, son of... whatever."

"A brave Ferengi... who would have thought it possible?"

"We've got to risk implosion, it's our only chance!"

"It's never been done."

"It's a theory. It's possible. We may go up into the biggest ball of fire since the last sun in these parts exploded but we gotta take that one in 10,000 chance!"

"What is it?"

"Nothing but gravity increase, sir. Like the planet reached out and yanked at us."

"Compensate."

"Take D'Artagnan here to sickbay!"

George

I suppose I'll have to come up with more quotes.

I am surprised that this is difficult. I'd have thought in a group that's familiar with Cardassian politics, Ferengi social customs, and Klingon linealogy, that this simple little Trek would have been easy.

The best clue I gave is that it's a follow up, of sorts, to the Naked Time.

Here's the answer.

"Tomorrow is Yesterday"-original series.

It's 'sort of' a sequel to 'The Naked Time'. In 'Naked', they learned they could travel back in time, while escaping a planet's gravitational pull, by some anti matter thingamajig, showing them the clock moving backward. Spock states that it opens some interesting possibilites, and that they can go back anytime, anywhere. Kirk say they may risk it 'some day'.

Apparently 'Tomorrow is Yesterday' is 'some day', as Kirk notes in his log that they went back on purpose.

Here's the answer.

"Tomorrow is Yesterday"-original series.

It's 'sort of' a sequel to 'The Naked Time'. In 'Naked', they learned they could travel back in time, while escaping a planet's gravitational pull, by some anti matter thingamajig, showing them the clock moving backward. Spock states that it opens some interesting possibilites, and that they can go back anytime, anywhere. Kirk say they may risk it 'some day'.

Apparently 'Tomorrow is Yesterday' is 'some day', as Kirk notes in his log that they went back on purpose.