GreaseSpot Cafe

My story?? Here's the beginning ~~~

dmiller

My story is really nothing spectacular or heart wrenching like some that are told here. Mine is an average story of an average guy (me), looking for something a little better in life, when it came to spirituality, and trying to connect a little better with God and Jesus. I guess this is similar to a lot of stories – anonymity, small fish in a big pond, someone no one really notices in the big scheme of things..

I was raised Catholic, went to the local parochial school (grades one though eight), and got out of being an altar boy in the 8th grade. In seventh grade – all the boys were taken from the classroom, to go over to the church, and learn the duties they were expected to perform as eighth grade altar boys. I was rescued from the ordeal by my music teacher Sister Regina Marie, who grabbed me and one other guy (her two prize students), and told the Monsignor that we would play the organ for his masses (held daily before class), and that she would not allow us to be altar boys. :dance:

She was a tiny person, but a great music teacher on any instrument – strings or keyboard.. Barely over 5’ tall – but she had a way of getting in the face of anyone who went against her wishes. God help the person she decided to confront!! :biglaugh: Short of the long of it is – I got to play the big pipe organ at the church there for daily mass, before we went to school for the day.

Got out of eighth grade, and got into the public school system. What a shock. I was used to being in one classroom all day long with the same folks day in and day out. Suddenly I had to move from one classroom to another, once I got to high school.

I missed the closeness we all had in the grade school, and found myself going back to talk to Sister Regina Marie. Asked her if I could go into the church, and play on the organ after hours. She told me – “Well you know where the key for it is – just remember to turn it off, when you are finished.” In those days – the church was unlocked 24/7 –and anyone could walk in at anytime.

This was before I even had a driver’s license. We (my family), lived about 1 mile from the church – and I would hop on my bicycle, and head to the church for a righteous evening of music with an organ with 3 keyboards, all the pedals, big bank of pipes, and a church with acoustics that reverberated like no one’s business!! :spy:

Many a time – I left the church after midnight or so, and found a note attached to my bicycle, thanking me for what I had played – left by some soul who had been there seeking (who knows what), but thankful that I provided music for their prayers. Needless to say --I was humbled.

Got into college, and met a guy who was in a Jesus freak group. He was my partner in chemistry class. He started talking Jesus to me, which I hadn’t really heard from the Catholic church.. Then – the same year –I went with my folks to Southern Illinois, to visit my grandma, and ended up in a Pentecostal meeting house (church) a few blocks away from her house. They did an altar call, and I responded.

Grandma was p!$$ed that I went there instead of Mass. After that trip was over, I got back to Indiana, and then got involved with the Jesus Freak group – where I met the lady I would marry, and another couple who had a big impact on my life.

1974 –I was living in a house with the Navigators, and decided to go to Italy with Operation Mobilization., as a missionary. When I returned – 1974, both my intended, and the other couple (Mike and Jane Moody) had taken the class. Took a bit of doing – but they finally got me to take the class too.

That’s enough for tonight.

dmiller--------"My story is nothing really spectacular-----------Went to Italy as a missionary."HUH?---------contrast that to "Went to cornfield in Ohio to do menial labor." --------sounds pretty "spectacular" to me. And the pipe organ thing. How cool is that?!!

Hmmm --- I skipped a part. Don (my Jesus Freak chemistry partner) kept inviting me to his fellowship (called the LightHouse), and I kept putting it off, until he told me about a guy there that had an old Gibson mandolin that he brought to fellowship to play along with the rest of the band. That was the “bone tossed to the dog” that finally got me to show up at one of their meetings. And they weren’t half bad at all. Kinda like the modern day “Praise and Worship” outfits you see these days. So I kept on going, and met 4 folks who would really influence the rest of my life.

They held meetings (usually) on Friday nights, so everyone could go to other churches on

Wednesdays and Sundays to check them out – and then come back to the LightHouse, and let everyone know where HOT services were held., if anyone was interested in going. The LightHouse group was a supplement to whatever church you personally liked to go to – and I liked that. This was in the 1972-1973 era. I met Mary Vand*rw*rp. (to whom I got married to in 1975, and got divorced from in 1985), met Mike and Jane Moody (now both deceased) – and the four of us became fast friends. Then a new person started attending the LightHouse – one Bill M*rt*n, and he let us all know he was with twi, and was there to see who would really like to learn God’s Word.

Being the inquisitive, rambunctious, argumentative folks we 4 were – we sat with him for many hours talking about the trinity, Holy Spirit, on and on. By now – I was living in the house with the Navigators, and heard someone talk about OM (Operation Mobilization), and decided to go to Italy for the summer, to “evangelize”, as that country was their main focus for that year.

Italy was a real trip. Spent most of that summer in the Naples area passing out tracts, gospels of John, and witnessing in the public square. Die-hard bluegrasser that I am – I took the banjo along with me. The leader of our particular group had a bullhorn that he used to witness to whomever was sitting around on the public benches, so he wouldn’t have to shout to make himself heard. We would always get their attention. He had me uncork my banjo from it’s case, and he put his bullhorn by my Five, while I played Foggy Mtn. Breakdown into it, with the notes blaring out into the town square over our portable loudspeaker.

After enough (cough!!) dissonant notes – we had the full attention of every one in the area! :biglaugh: It was a lot like going WOW. Going somewhere you were totally unfamiliar with, although with OM – they had a network of “believers” in the area who were willing to give you housing and meals, and support – so we weren’t totally alone in a strange land. We got used to sitting down to 7 course meals, home-made wine, and spirited conversation pretty much every day we were there.

Came back to the States, and found out that Mike, Jane, and then Mary had all taken some class called pfal – and now they were saying the same things that Bill did – that we all argued against before I took off for the summer.

More later -----------

In your first post, you said that Sister Regina Marie wouldn't allow you to become an alter boy. Do you think she knew something and was trying to protect you, or was it that she didn't want your talent to go to waste?

And where were you in Indiana? I grew up in southside Indianapolis.

In your first post, you said that Sister Regina Marie wouldn't allow you to become an alter boy. Do you think she knew something and was trying to protect you, or was it that she didn't want your talent to go to waste?

And where were you in Indiana? I grew up in southside Indianapolis.

Vegan --- Sister Regina Maria was my *saviour* from the Roman Catholic church and their customs. She saw what I could do, and refused to let the *church* interfere by putting me into their cult mold that that they put all the other boys in in the 8th grade, in parochial school. This was in Bloomington, Indiana -- some 50 miles south of where you are from.

I could (back then) memorize an entire score on the piano or organ, and play it from memory with no music in front of me. Can't claim that today -- past usage of drugs, and alcohol have robbed me of that ability.

But back then -- I was *hell-on-wheels* when it came to music. Not so anymore. :(

These days --- I can pick up the fiddle, mandolin, etc -- and remember what I once knew -- but the keyboard stuff still escapes me.

Let's see -- where was I with MY STORY??? Oh yea -- came back from Italy.

Got back to the states, and found Mary, Mike, and Jane had all taken the pfal class. 3 of my closest friends -- and now they were spouting docvic doctrine. I had it out with them over many a cup of coffe, beers, whatever, and finally (something) clicked with me, and I started listening, instead of arguing.

Jesus Christ NOT being God was the biggest topic at the time (Hey, being raised Catholic -- that would be a big issue) -- but I got to the point where I saw that He could never have been a deity, nor could He have pre-existed, if the bible is right.

:offtopic: disclaimer to all practicing Catholics --- this is an (IMHO) ---

So I started going to twi fellowships, and actually enjoyed the rapport there -- since it was a real mixed bunch ranging from transendental meditatiion to pentecostal leanings.

Short of the long of it is -- I ended up taking pfal in 1975.

More later.

Edited by dmiller

i love your story, d

how did your 2 friends die ? (i'm sorry)

when i was a senior in high school (a year before i got in twi), some pentecostal guy came through (i went to catholic school for 12 years) and shared about the pentecostal movement in the cath. church. but guess what his name was ..... don DIVINE .... i swear .... but he definitely grabbed my attention

Bloomington is home of IU (Indiana University) with about 30,000 students (or more). Twi had a VERY active branch going on there when I got introduced to them in the mid 1970’s. Pfal classes were being run on a regular basis. Since college students are inquisitive by nature and religion was always a hot topic in Southern Indiana --- you couple that with the student’s curiosity – and there was no trouble running classes to meet whatever quota twi had set for the time.

I took the class in April of 1975, and there were 35 or so students in it besides myself, so it was a film class that was run in one of the lecture halls of IU (I guess twi popped for the fee to rent that room, since I’m pretty sure they weren’t given out free even in those days). R*ch Kenn*l was the instructor, and Jo*n Sc*tt was the area branch leader, and there was a steady flow of grads that came in to monitor various sessions of the class we took.

They weren’t required to sit through the entire class, so they came in whenever they wanted to, and sometimes left at break time, if they had had enough. Of course none of them that showed up for the 12th session left early.

Twig (from then on) was a fun get-together of folks that had just taken the class, along with the older grads. I remember going (about) twice a week, and never feeling pressured to do more. Back then (at least for folks like myself), a lot of latitude was offered, and though the hints to attend more, do more, etc, were there – it wasn’t pushed on us.

So --- that was April of 1975, and in May/ June of ’75 – I split town, and headed to the Boundary Waters of Minney-soda to work at a canoe outfitters on Seagull Lake, way north of Grand Marais, Minney-soda – and one or two miles from the Canadian border (by canoe). Had the chance to take the intermediate class before I left, but opted to go north instead.

Mary, was p!$sed that I left her behind, so I called around up here, and found her a job in a resort a coupla miles from where I was working. She stayed in Indiana long enough to take the intermediate class, then came up here for the summer. So – now there were two grads of the class here, one of whom had the intermediate, but no third *believer* – so we never did hold manifestations in accordance with docvic’s teachings about 3 or none. Even though we found folks up here interested in Bible, we felt we could do no more than teach. Couldn’t hold a real fellowship with manifestations without the proper number – don’tcha know. I had a tape subscription to the SNS, and looked forward to the arrival of a new tape each week. I would play those things constantly, hoping for a reprieve from the three or none “theory”, but it wasn’t a happening thing. :(

Somewhere in those 2 or 3 months up here, I proposed to Mary, and she said yes. So we started making plans about when the summer was over, and we were both back home in Indiana.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:offtopic:

Short story – she and I went to Thunder Bay, Canada on our day off once (maybe 200 + miles from where we were). We got to the Canadian border, and they asked where we were from. I said Indiana. They wanted to know why we were coming to Canada. I (in my ignorance) said: “We have the day off from work, and thought we’d visit here!” (forgeting entirely to tell them that we worked on the Gunflint trail!) We got some weird looks, but they let us in anyway!!

(Good Gawd -- that was 31 years ago now that I think about it!!!) :blink:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So Mary left (late July) to head back home, and was talking about going to the ROA. I was supposed to stay here until late August to help winterize the outfitters, but on the spur of the moment, decided to quit a month early and go to the ROA myself.

That decision got me into the REST OF THE STORY ----

Excie -- Jane was always *sickly* (I forget now what her ailment was), but it got the better of her finally. Mike re-married a year or two after she passed away, and several years later Mary (we were divorced by then), called to let me know that he too had passed on.

It was a shock to hear about him, as he had (seemingly) been in good health. Life is short. Make it count.

If it weren't for Mike and Jane (along with Mary), I wouldn't be where I am today ---

both in past tense, and present. We 4 were really likeminded.

We all got into twi at the same time, and left at the same time.

It's because Mike and Jane saw the warning signs earlier than I did,

that the *exit* sign became visible over the door leading out of twi.

They got us in, and they got us out.

I look forward to seeing them again, if for no other reason than to say *Thanks*.

Edited by dmiller

Great story dMiller...I too am from Indiana originally...went to that other school in Indiana (PU). I took the class in 1976...it was a kinder gentler TWI...still a tad bit wierd, but at least tolerable. Many may not know that Bloomington Indiana (more particularly Bean Blossum) is a hotbed of Bluegrass music. Isn't Bill Monroe from there?

Dm- what a touching good story...I know in my heart that we all have something very special within..Im not sure where it starts if its being Born Again...I tried to talk my mom into letting me go into Peacecorp after highschool..she bluntly said no...but I carried the thought with me for years...soon enough at the age of 22 I found myself in PFAL...we had the right stuff!!!Babe...

carry on

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
So Mary left (late July) to head back home, and was talking about going to the ROA. I was supposed to stay here until late August to help winterize the outfitters, but on the spur of the moment, decided to quit a month early and go to the ROA myself.

That decision got me into the REST OF THE STORY ----

Ok -- so I feel like writing a bit tonight. (About time -- eh???) ;)

Got home from the Rock, Mary had said yes, and JAL was the limb leader for Indiana.

Called him and asked if he would perform the ceremony.

Mary was sure he would either say:

A.) No; or

B.) Go into the corps first.

What he DID say, was -- "Have you had the CF&S class yet??"

I said "No." He said "Take it, and I'll do it."

Luckily (or not) it was running the next week there in Indiana,

and I signed both of us up for it.

We took it, and 3 or 4 months later we got married in Beck Chapel.

chapelfront.jpg

Beck Chapel is located in the heart of the Indiana University campus.

The chapel was completed in 1956 and is made of Indiana Limestone,

and wood from the forests of South Central Indiana.

Beck Chapel is a favorite location for weddings and other special occasions.

The chapel is non-denominational and open to everyone.

JAL officiated, B!ll Morton played harpsichord, Mike and Jane stood up for us as *witnesses*.

We all went and partied -- after the fact.

Jo*n and Dorc!e Scott had been the branch leaders, (sickth corps),

but I'm thinking they were gone by this time.

Not sure who was the *leader* at that time.

R!ck P@nyard and Kr!s Skedge!l were around --that I remember.

P@nyard had't committed any crimes (at this point in time).

Mike DeBrul@r, another area leader quit twi (around that time),

and moved East, to marry a Mormon gal.

I'm pretty sure (someone correct me if I'm wrong),

1977 was the year Joyful Noise were sent out individually,

as leaders in whatever area they were sent to.

Regardless -- De@n and L@ur@ Ellenwood showed up in Bloomington,

and Mary and I were in their twig.

Dean was (probably) the best twig leader I ever did have. :)

He taught well. He was a personable guy.

He wrote a teaching about meekness, that made the twi magazine.

(I have it here -- but don't know the year or issue, off the top of my head.)

The fact that it got published by twi does NOT impress me.

The fact that I saw him live it daily --- did.

He played a lot at the coffee-houses in Bloomington,

And a lot of us would go to hear him pick on a Friday/ Saturday night.

He (seemed) to prefer to play at a place that had just opened up

(a coupla blocks from where he lived), named THE RUNCIBLE SPOON.

And then there was a time when a tree took out one of my front teeth (no joke),

and he and Laura prayed for me, when I was hurting like you wouldn't believe.

But that will have to wait, till later.

It's late --and bed-time. :)

Dave, as an organist and percussionist enjoyed your lifestory. Maybe one day I'll get up to the north country to visit. my photos are found on my church's website which is holycrosselcadotorg and scroll down to staff to see me playing the organ, drumset, and conducting the handbell ensemble.

Sleep well Dave!

Hurry back we are all enjoying your story!

It is so nice to see how you grew to be the wonderful and amazingly talented man we all love here!

It's nice to have a glimspe of the people that touched and affected your life and vise-versa! It is nice getting to know you!

Edited by RainbowsGirl

David, what a great continuing story, amazing, for sure.

We went thru Bloomington a couple years ago. Our destination was Nashville, IN, during the Christmas season. It was very enjoyable.

Please keep the story coming.