GreaseSpot Cafe

Live African Web Cam

GT

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonny under the photo are two links, one for Mac's and one for "non-Macs". Pick one and you are in. We've been glued to this thing on and off all morning. Watched zebras, monkeys, all kinda cattle. Now it seems it is getting dark and hard to see, but the frogs sure are making some noises! I can't wait for the sun to come up in Africa again!

Make sure you guys are clicking on the right link. One's for Macs, though it doesn't say so, and the other says for non-Macs.

I just saw the coolest thing. Some hooved animal with long horns (not an antelope, I don't think...maybe and Ibix or something...I'm not up on my African animals) was drinking at the watering hole. I was reading GS and had the Africam minimized but could still hear the sounds. All of a sudden I heard a huge splash. So happens someone was operating the camera at the time and pulled back in time for me to see an elephant drinking and spraying himself, right in the foreground of the picture.

I'm soooooooooooo hooked.

Wavelit TV

Africam.com

Maybe one of these would get it for you. I was only able to get it on the wavelit tv.com, but I agree it's worth the search.

The web page also tells you what day and time it is in Africa at the webcam is location.

On MS pc, a double click gets you the full screen view, and in between the full screen and web page view is a blank black screen. Don't know how to get the full screen on MAC.

The thing in the water - a guess - is probably a bird of some sort - reminds me of a loon. Of course, I'd guess that the flying things are bugs... it is raining there -there's a thunderstorm going on, but it's not stopping something from slinking around just off camera, to the left of the screen, by the biggest tree...

Damn, this is addictive!

The big white thing in the watering hole is definitely a bird of some kind. I saw it fly in and land on the water hours ago. Guess he has a layover on his way to the next puddle!

The other things flying around are, I HOPE, birds and not giant yucky bugs.

Today I saw a waterbuck (had to look it up!), one elephant twice or two different elephants, 1 fox once then later two foxes, a herd of about 30 zebras, approx. 10 wildebeests (gnus), a bunch of antelope, and a vervet money. No partridge in a pear tree, though. Maybe in December!

Oooh, here comes one of those foxes again.

cool, it just takes patience at this time of night. And when you least expect it, something cool shows up.

Chas, I think what freaked me out the most (at first) was when the first elephant I saw suddenly showed up. The Waterbuck was drinking across the water, and everything was quiet, so I minimized the window while reading GS. Then wham! Suddenly I heard something REALLY large approaching (heavy, heavy footsteps) and then it made a huge splash.

Thank goodness the camera person was awake then and zoomed out so I could see it was an elephant. I would have been wondering all day!

It doesn't scare me that it's night. It would if I were actually sitting there, though. :)

When I looked in early this morning, watching the animals come and go gave me a very peaceful, serene feeling. Maybe that's what those nature CDs people use to get them to sleep are about.

Edited by Linda Z

My 10 yr. just started to cry and say...I don't want to go to bed.... I won't get to see Africa in the daylight.

OK,

LindaZ... I think those foxes you speak of are actually HYENAS. Saw a bunch of them earlier this evening.

We've also seen Waterbuffalo earlier on today.

and I love listening to the sounds of those crickets, crazy sounding frogs and whatever else hangs around that place.

My speakers are in the kitchen, so I find myself making supper or whatever to the most soothing sounds...

Also, we're pretty sure that this camera is not manned by any one person, but rather all motion sensed.

OK...gotta go back .... :blink:

I think i'm going to have to start the first

AFRICAM 12 step program... :huh:

Edited by A la prochaine