GreaseSpot Cafe

Live African Web Cam

GT

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bunch of zebras taking a drink now.

And I swear I saw a lion hiding in the bushes at one shot. Looking for some zebra meat?

Damn, there are about a gizilion wildebeast there now.

I should go to bed....

I'm a bit lacking in my African wildlife identication skills.... :confused:

Let's go with buffalo.

I have this great binder (actually 2) called Wildlife Fact File

They have pictures with places of habitat and lots of details ... everytime I see something... I pick this thing up and find the picture...

It's amazing to have it happening right in front of you and finding it in the book all at the same time...

I think I'm getting WAAAAYYYYY too excited for one person!!!

oh... my daughter just told me she saw Waterbuck today as well.

These are Gazelle looking animals with spirally type horns

ok...just saw a COMMON SANDPIPER... Ok... i'm shutting up now

Breath...Breath....Breath....

Edited by A la prochaine

I have used the term (and called a person a) warthog but never seen warthogs in action.

Greasy Tech: Can you put the actual picture at the beginning of this thread instead of the link (in manner similar to Raf does with the hurricane cones)?

Thanks, again, Greasy Tech, for all you do to make this such an entertaining as well as educational experience.

In hope,

OK,

I'm actually seeing a real live African Lint... stuck on the lens of the webcam

And...has anyone tried to find the whereabouts of this Nkorho Pan?

I did a couple of searches yesterday and came up with the Nkorho Pan Safari Lodge (or something to this effect)

What I could make of it is that this Nkorho Pan is sitting in the middle of a game reserve in Kruger Park, South Africa. This is located at the North East end of South Africa on the borders of Mozambique and Zimbawbwe.

Am I correct in this???

I also noticed yesterday as someone was manning the camera during the Cape Buffalo drinking show (sorry Linda Z... you were right...the thing is manned at times) that there were a few houses not far in the background. When the person manning the camera (probably remotely) panned to the left of the watering hole you could see very clearly a couple of houses. They were pretty close (probably some 200 feet away).

Anyone else see this?

Edited by A la prochaine

Dear dmilller,

What I was hoping for was not a link but the actual live cam appearing here.

(When Raf does his hurricane cone postings, the "picture" he posts changes as the hurricane moves. It's a live thing.)

But that sure is a nice picture. Not warthoggy at all. I can't say that now, don't want to offend the warthogs.

OK...

I'm stopping after this... I promise

I'm watching a wildebeest roll around in the dirt...kicking up a ton of dust.

I'm reading about this animals and this is what I found out:

The wildebeest is an odd-looking animal. It has the head of an ox, the mane and tail of a horse, and the horns of a buffalo, but it is actually a kind of grazing antelope.

The one I see here on the webcam is a what is called a "BLUE WILDEBEEST"

There are 2 kinds. The Black and The Blue.

The BLUE WILDEBEEST is found from Kenya to northern South Africa. The black are only found in South Africa...

By the pictures and description this is definitely a blue one.

Going to do my mantra now.

BTW, Ala-you are right about those buildings. I saw them during the buffalo pan and had to pick my jaw up off the floor. It was a quick shot, but so close I felt I could knock on someone's door. :biglaugh:

I think the operator tries to stay away from them, but it's interesting that they are so close, expecially after that mini stampede last night.

(Must get a life, must get a life, must get a life.... :) )

I've seen both the Waterbuck and the Impalas, A la. Their horns are different.

I didn't see the houses, but I did see an awful lot of lights in the area you've described.

There's a map of the place on the Web site, but it doesn't show its location in the larger context of where it is.

Gotta run. I'm at work. I almost NEVER look in here from work, but I had to see what was happening on the Africam. Sheesh.

12-step program is right!

Impala is correct.

Seeing dwellings so near is not unusual.

Wildebeest are fairly docile and don't seem to shy much from humans. Where I've been people aren't very interested in hunting and eating wild game, although I understand eating monkey is popular in Congo & Rwanda. Not me! The feared Maasai despise hunting, by the way. They do kill lions and hyenas but they don't consider that hunting. They consider it simply protecting their herds & families. And they do return the favor since they strip their dead of clothes and ornaments and leave them for the hyenas, lions & carrillon birds...