GreaseSpot Cafe

Live African Web Cam

GT

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm working and watching! HA. I have the window open and shrunk so I can see it while I work. Man, for a while there, there were a bunch of different animals there all at the same time! I finally saw the houses too.

Unfortunately, I missed the sunset. It took place while I was driving home for lunch. :(

This picture of a waterbuck is identical to the big fella I watched for a long time yesterday morning, right down to the white circle on his rump and the shape of his head and curve of his horns.

waterbuck.jpg

I did also see several critters that looked, best I can tell, like Impalas. There sure are lots of hooved/horned animals on this preserve. They must all be cousins.

Linda Z,

There may be 2 kinds of antelope roaming around these parts.

The ones I saw earlier today resembled the Waterbuk, but their colouring was different.

Their colour stopped way up before their underbody and they were a touch speckled on their sides.

That's what made me think it wasn't the Waterbuck since they are a solid colour. Even the related species such as The Red Lechwe and The Thomas's Kob did not match the ones that I saw today.

Just call me Marlin Perkins from Mutual of Omaha's WILD KINGDOM...

I'm killing myself laughing here!!!! If you ever met me ... I'm about the furthest thing from a Marlin you'd ever meet!!! It's just these darn Wildlife Fact Files. I've got cheat notes!!!

Just call me Marlin Perkins from Mutual of Omaha's WILD KINGDOM...

I'm killing myself laughing here!!!! If you ever met me ... I'm about the furthest thing from a Marlin you'd ever meet!!! It's just these darn Wildlife Fact Files. I've got cheat notes!!!

I think we have our own Imp Ala, right here at GSCafe. ;)

And for the record, that one photo posted here is of a Cape Buffalo, perhaps one of the most feared Big Game animals on the planet. They are also referred to as "Gar". But they are so strong and powerful, that only those with the biggest cojones, or the dumbest brains, will hunt them...

And, it seems as if there was a whole herd of them at the waterhole, right?

Yes, totally cool thread, hey Kathy?

I did a little snooping around and came up with this info...

First of all, here's the RESORT that is called Nkorho Bush Lodge, where this is filmed - it's a 4-star resort. No kidding.

Now, if you go to the SIGHTINGS page, you can read more about some of the wild life that you're looking at here on the cam.

Nkorho Bush Lodge is in Hluvukani, South Africa. This is a section of map that will give you a good idea of where it is on the globe:

http://maps.fallingrain.com/perl/map.cgi?k...x=240&y=180

There's also several sites like this - a friend of mine, who I shared this with, told me about them. She said that none of them have the sound or night vision as good as this one - not even National Geographic's webcam. Here's a LINK to a page of similar sites, if you wish to check them out...

Personally, I think we should have the next Weenie Roast at the Nkorho Bush Lodge....

And ya know what blesses me about this sight? When I was a kid, my favorite time of the day was when I got up early to deliver The Washington Post newspaper. I got up at 0430 in the morning, and started delivering the papers while pulling my Radio Flyer wagon. And by 0500, the birds would start waking up, and I would hear that cacophany of sounds coming from all of the birds doing their morning wake up call. And to me, that was such a sweet sound, as the morning was drenched with dew, and the World had not quite cranked up to full speed.

And, one of the things my wife laments is that since my hearing has been hurt considerably because I have worked in the enginerooms of loud and noisy ships, I don't hear those sweet sounds as when "Morning Has Broken....."

And so, to hear the birds come on at this website, well, I am just blessed by it all, for the sounds are similar as to when I was a kid forty years ago. Oh man oh man, where did the time go?

I love the sweet stillness of morning, too. It's not like anything else in the world. I work 3rd shift, per diem, at the hospital - sometimes I'll step outside for 10-15 mins. during the wee hours of the morning. Usually at the break of dawn, I will suddenly feel *awake* - like my body clock has just reset itself, when it sees the sun. It's just a certain feeling - I don't really have the words to describe it...

And the sounds are most different than at any other time - there's an eery stillness to everything, but as you notice the sky is getting lighter, then the birds begin to make more noise, and so on. If you happen to have a rooster near by, he'll usually start his racket around 4am - we have one next door - I don't really *hear* him anymore - I'm just used to him.

If I'm the first one up, the coffee is made, and I sit on the sun porch - before the sun is up - listening to the noises outside, the smells of the early morning - and the snoring of my boys. It's a moment when time seems to stop and say, "Hey..."

For me, this webcam wouldn't be half as much fun if it wasn't for the sounds... there's something super relaxing to the sounds - it's not like anything I've heard before, but yet there's a familiar feeling I get when I listen to it - it lulls you. This is good stuff.

Yeah, ChasU, it really takes me back to a time when Life was not so complicated. Morning. Susch a sweet time. I guess that's why Jesus "a great while before Day, got up and prayed". Such a nice time. My job starts at 0600 in the morning, and I hear the seagulls and the eagles making their morning cries, along with the sea breezes, and waves lapping on the shore and what not. The soft "crush" of waves on the beach early in the morn is so sweet...I think that Life in the morning is so sweet because HUMANITY is not in full swing yet, and, sadly, humanity has a terrible capacity to eminate the evil and not so sweet things in Life....

Reflecting,

Jonny Lingo....