GreaseSpot Cafe

Live African Web Cam

GT

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abi, that happened to me, too, both today and yesterday. It seems fine now.

Quiet evening on the old game preserve. This morning I saw zebras and blue wildebeests, but this afternoon I've only seen one bunny, a small deer-like critter, and now a couple geese.

Edited by Linda Z

Shame on you Belle for killing this thread. It was flying along then WHAM! No posts for a whole day.

:spy:

Maybe everybody's waiting for the croc to strike again! I get as nervous as the animal's do when they lean over to drink.

Wonder if the croc's (or alligator, what do I know) name is Pete and that's why it's Pete's Pond?

The camera work could be better-tends to be out of focus or not as attentive as the other cam, but when he gets it right, it's great.

Just saw a monkey... I could hear him...what the coolest and sweetest sound.

But, the camera did not pick up the movement of the monkey.

Now, it seemed that at first the camera was on a motion censure, especially in the evenings and late night.

Is that not the case now? I know the camera is manned by someone during the day for the most part, but it seems the camera doesn't move now in the evenings.

Signed:

Be-wild-ered :blink:

(pun intended :biglaugh: )

Edited by A la prochaine

OH MY GOD!!!

MONKEYS... (not sure what kind...not the Vervet Monkey I saw earlier though) baboon like... and the baby is nursing from it's mom... and it's just fallen asleep... i just watched it's eyes drop and fall asleep...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The monkeys (younger ones)noticed the camera and were playing around the camera... watching it move...

Also, a big monkey is grooming another... looking for lice and such...one was actually completely layed out flat while the other groomed, legs up and all!!! Absolutely halarious.

I'm ABSOLUTELYFREAKED....and this baby asleep in it's mother's arms!!! :jump::jump:

and the noises...my oh my....

there must be about 10-15 of them...two of them just scampered accross the field...as if one was chasing the other.... so fast that dust was flying.

There is definitely some 'alpha male' character in this group. He's huge and seems forever on guard!

:jump::jump::jump:

Feeling a little Jane Woodall-ish!

AHHHHHHHHHh tooooooo much excitement for one morning!

breath breath...

also Impalas and wildabeests...

I think i need a tranquilizer

Edited by A la prochaine

Wonder if the croc's (or alligator, what do I know) name is Pete and that's why it's Pete's Pond?

Pete Le Roux carved Pete’s Pond into the landscape as his answer to the rampant poaching and senseless killing of Africa’s wildlife, acts that bothered him from the moment he arrived in 1985 to conduct a leopard research project as a graduate student from South Africa’s University of Pretoria. Back then a consortium of conservation-minded landowners had established the 183,178-acre (74,131-hectare) range as the Northern Tuli Game Reserve. Game, however, was scarce.

Le Roux believed wildlife could repopulate the reserve if they avoided the Limpopo River, where poachers lurked. Using the remnants of an old irrigation system from the area’s failed attempts to grow cotton, he built a pond as an alternative watering source.

The idea worked. Almost too well. Today some researchers are concerned that the thriving elephant and impala populations have outgrown the land. Plans are now being made to include the reserve as part of the proposed Limpopo/Shashe Transfrontier Conservation Area. This transfrontier park would expand the animals’ territory into a protected reserve in neighboring South Africa and Zimbabwe.

“We have effectively taken an area that was unsuccessful agricultural land and turned it into a viable wildlife preserve,” says Le Roux as he gazes out on the pond. “That is the most rewarding thing we’ve done here, to see the game come back.”

A la, I saw the little baby nursing and falling asleep, too. I think there were both baboons and monkeys hanging out at that time.

Yesterday morning before work I saw three warthogs rolling in the mud at the edge of the watering hole and splashing in the water. Sooooooo cute! I haven't had much time to peek in there this week. Hopefully this weekend I will.

:offtopic: Something on Pete's Pond website (or a blocked popup?) kicks me off the Internet. Any ideas? (when I first went to Pete's Pond, I got a message that said I needed to install RealPlayer. It came with Mozilla, so I thought I would try that. After I had mozilla and there were too many problems (including getting kicked off Pete's Pond) and I deleted it. I still cannot go to Pete's pond. (I also upgraded real player and I also upgraded Explorer.) dmiller. I reinstalled Firefox, but still can't go to Pete's Pond. I put a note on the Firefox discussion that Linda Z started.

Still hoping,