GreaseSpot Cafe

Very Interesting (current Way leader publishes a book)

Gillian Rules

My memories of the Horneys are varied... Jacque was fun and outrageous our first year in-rez, Ed was stiff as a board but you could tell he really felt priviledged to be a corps coordinator and was trying to teach/train us well. They told funny stories on themselves, and threw spontaneous parties for us... oh, and they taught us the Bullwinkle cheer. I liked and respected them.

However, by our second in-rez year, well, you could tell the pressure of being RIGHT all the time was getting to them... a lot of the sponteneity and the smiles were gone. There was an edge to them I hadn't seen before. Reminds me VERY much of the process I saw Rico Magnelli and his wife go through. There is only so much time you can put in as top leadership before you change.

I posted something I ran across about Jacque being on a writing forum some time ago because I thought they were still at HQ and I was surprised she was being allowed to do "real" work.

At this point, I'm happy for anyone who finds any kind of success outside the realm of twi... maybe, just maybe, it will help them see their way out of the cult.

• Upvote 1

I saw Jacque at Camp Gunnison in 95, we went for family camp. She was sun bathing on the side of thier little house across from our huge cabin..didnt see her any other time.

Ed took me an some friends down the Gunnison river in a raft..it was great fun..he starting telling us a ghost story and I reproved him,gently because I noticed a little girl in the raft cringing with concern, he was trying to make it more of an adventure..ha..

good people

Edited by likeaneagle

A little sluthing and I came up with this...

She's a ghost writer on this book - Events that Changed the World, and although her name is not listed on the cover, it is as an editorial research assistant...

Please don't take this the wrong way, anyone...

but...

What do you think some of these 'leaders' do all day? I mean, don't you remember them working when you were in TWI? I do, although most were window washers or insurance salesmen when I was in... The gal has to make a living somehow, don'tchaknow? Best of luck to her, I say.

Edited by ChasUFarley

Alright, for the sake of argument, suppose it is a self published book. What makes that an act of vanity and not an act of entrepreneurship? I think she used a pen name to avoid harassment from some of you as much as anything. Get it out of your system gspotters, Jacque Horney, former Way Corps coordinator, has published a book of juvenile fiction. How sinister. :ph34r:

all i meant was it would be a very way-like thing to do, which it is. twi always bent the truth like that, so it seemed quite likely that a former corps coordinator would. or could.

Whether it is self published or not, if it's marketing goal is to eek money out of TWI believers, then in my mind it is just one more way TWI leadership use the little people for their own gain.

Think about it--if some little believer wanted to wrtie a book, they'd probably be reproved for how they spend their time!

I have no problem with pen names. I write fiction and use one myself, as a degree of separation from the public. Anyone who buys one of my books will see my real, legal name on the copyright. However, you can google my real name and come up with nothing. If you google my pen name then you come up with my website, myspace, reviews, forum comments, all sorts of stuff that make me easy to stalk, but that are also good for promo and marketing. Which is why I don't offer my pen name here, or links to my website. Not that I don't trust ya all. I don't trust the crazies who inhabit TWI land.

If Jackie is a writer who wants to use her talents and see some success in the real world, not the TWI manipulated world, then more power to her. In fact, I feel a little sorry for her because it is not only easy to find out her real name, it wouldn't take too much effort to haul out the TWI cult scandal stuff--and YA/ children's writers need that squeeky clean image if they want to be invited to schools and libraries. If she were ever to make it big, she might have to do some pr to explain some ugly stories about her past. And publishers want 'easy' authors, not embarassing ones.

Yeah, very interesting I must say.... Never expected Jackie to write a book..

I didn't know them when they first became Coordinators. But later in their term, they definitely had changed from being the sweet and innocent, to being the promoters of quite a bit of what the top leaders do..

Although when I was in-residence, it was kind of unique one time Ed Ho... gathered us all together and actually came right and told how he didn't agree with what HQ qas doing on a couple specific points, that he tried to change things, it didn't work out, so he was just going with the flow. But, he wanted us to know that his example is what we all should do, even if we didn't agree.. Umm.. Yeah.. You can tell I didn't take his advice.

And I don't think it would be too appropriate on this thread to go into LCM's and Jackie's relationship.. But, needless to say, there was more to his speaking about her than just because...

They were probably wonderful believers at first, but corrupt communications can corrupt people. Especially when you get higher up in the ranks.. It really effected them both.

But somehow Rosalie caught onto Ed's problems, and moved him out to HQ working in Research. As if he would help.. He taught the Corps Greek, but doesn't know the basics of the language himself. He just recites what he reads, and half of that time he doesn't comprehend it, so then when he tries to expound it completely @#&%^@#.. But now, they got demoted again, this time Branch coordinators but at least still full time.

So yeah, writing books while full time.. I think they are rethinking their direction right about now, Wouldn't suprise me to see them gone in another 2 -3 years. But I could be wrong. Ed had lots of disagreements - and rightfully so. The goodness of God always leads us to repentance and a change of heart.. Never too late to see em realize the truth and stick to it!

• Upvote 1

Self-publisher for her or not? Does it matter, really? If it is good enough, the book should sell. I would have to assume her husband would back her up as well.

Paddy Heron self published three books, two were best sellers, one in Ireland and one in the United States where Grizzley Adams productions turned it into a documentary called "End Times." Pretty good, too. Heron made it to the top ten at Amazon at least once and the top twenty three times on that book. He has sold thousands of his third book.

I've also self-published, but I knew the topics were too controversial for normal Christian publishers.

Heron did a fantastic job. We'll see where Ms. Horney goes with this. I'd like to be fair and wish her the best. I just hope she gets to keep her money.

Eagle

I personally am glad to see Jackie looking so well & rested. More power to her for branching out. I think it's great that they are getting out in the world and making a real living. The book at Amazon is down to a few copies so it must be selling.

I do not believe she self-published, in one of the reviews it explained it all.

Personally, I love the Horneys. I sincerely wish Jacque and Ed, and the children, all the best.

I'll always be thankful for Ed. He always seemed to do his utmost, in sincerity. Maybe misguided, but not intentionally ego-driven tyrants as most higher leaders were. My prayer is to see them again, on the outside of TWI...maybe even before the gathering together. YMMV.

• 5 years later...

I know I'm resurrecting a really old thread. In fact, I was still an innie when this thread was new, which I why I do know a little about this book and author Jacquie Horney / Josie Daval. Plus I just remembered my GSC username and can log in again. :eusa_clap:

Jacquie did not self-publish. The publisher, Orange Frazer Press, is a small but quality publisher in Ohio that specializes in books about Ohio. The Wright brothers, who are the "historical fiction" characters in this book, are from Dayton. Jacquie put a lot of local historical facts together to knit a tale that would be very entertaining for kids to read while learning about a (very boring) subject - history.

Surprised she'd write a book? Why? She's always been a voracious reader. Pitiful proofreader...in fact, she got fired from a job once shortly after leaving HQ in the mid-2000s...but an avid reader. Yes, I'm sure that her getting fired wasn't a good example as a Way Corps Minstrel, but then I'm sure she didn't have to answer to very many people. Even funnier, she had just left the "printed perfection" Way Publications department at the corn-field HQ. That's how she landed the proofreading job...that she got fired from. As I said, pitiful proofreader.

I don't think The Wright Twist got the sales she had hoped for. Orange Frazer Press discounted her book to half price...a few years ago. And they still have it in stock even today. At half price. Clearance, for $7.00, originally $14.95. When I talked with her in 2008, she hadn't made a dime off of it yet. So who knows if her second book will get published. Or even if it is completed yet. When I knew her, she was working on a near-final draft.

That's about all I know. Now that I'm an outie, no one will talk to me anymore. Poor me. :rolleyes: