GreaseSpot Cafe

We are Veterans of a different sort

likeaneagle

In the last five years, since leaving TWI, I have concluded some of my thoughts.

I dont measure this based on outcome of victories, or how much time was served, who got medals (or name tags) or certain level of status Corp or Noncorp. But a measure to relinquish the fact that there is a love, honored and worth serving...In my most desperate moments of my personal crisis since exiting TWI, I had to come to the thought at some point that there is still love. Sometimes it doesnt always reflect from a podium, but from the simplier things in life, like a phone call, from a reaching hand, from a compliment,etc. I can reflect on moments where I shared a certain love and turned a hungry soul to a greater love..to revealing that the Love of God can still be lived..what is the measure? THere is no measure...but in my quietness I remember..

Folks, all of us have come thru a war..and somewhere, we loved and gave place for his love to live. We learned it in such a intimate place within ourselves.. Dont let the WAR rob you of greater or happier moments...

Our badge is to continue..living in the freedom, making better choices.

We are heroes, everything time we reach out!! or simply remember:)

There is no mention of our Military....this is a different day...a different thread...I wasnt even comparing our Military here...but the war some of us went thru, LG!! You have grossly misinterpretated what I wrote.

I would never compare myself to a Veteran.....I am a mother of a Veteran.

Edited by likeaneagle

Hap -- I agree. LikeAnEagle was tactful.

But I also agree with LG (in theory), because a lotta folks are NOT.

I've heard many activists on the *veteran bandwagon*,

claiming to be veterans (cough!!!) of spousal abuse, discrimination,

bad parenting, etc. -- and claiming their *war* was just as significant,

and then demanding equal recognition that the Military Vets receive.

Nuts to them. Opportunistic whiners -- the bunch of them.

Or as Michael Savage would say --- Red Diaper Doper Babies.

Certainly we're all veterans of something,

but NOT to the degree that Military Veterans are recognized for.

LikeAnEagle -- I didn't see those *demands* in your post.

Seemed like your's was more of a *heart* issue -- rather than recognition. :)

LG -- I'm with you in keeping the Military Veteran's honor pure.

Red Diaper Doper Babies live freely, because of our Vets -- current and past.

I have no use for whiners either.

Edited by dmiller

Anybody remember this one?

I may never march in the infantry

Ride in the cavalry

Shoot the artillery

I may never fly o'er the enemy

But I'm in the Lord's army.

Special thanks to all our military vets and a brotherly tip of the hat to all those in "the Lord's army".

Likeaneagle,

I think that it is a wonderful post.

Why do we respect (military) veterans, anyway? I think part of the answer is because of what they had to endure.

I think that anybody who has gone through a tough time and placed their life and soul on the line should be respected and honored on this day.

Folks respect veterans because of what they went through...

I respect many of those who post on gsc because of what they went through...I respect many for the self-sacrifice that they endured for some other, loftier cause. (Think how many people stayed in even though they knew it was bs...because of their love of spouse or love of children or love of parents). I respect those who endured spiritual abuse, mental abuse, and, particularly in the case of kids who had the misfortune of growing up twi, the physical abuse. What about those few (e.g., insurgent) who posted extensively while still in...exposing the truth to help bring deliverance to others?

If November 11th is a day set aside to honor veterans...making November 12th a day to honor survivors of all stripes seems like a great idea.

mark and eagle:

Your posts make me sick to my stomach.

There is absolutely zero comparison with what you are posting relative to military service during time of conflict.

Lobby for your own "day" of recognition, but please, make no comparisons to your experiences to those who have put their lives on the line to preserve your rights of free expression.

harvey

Edited by tFloat

mark and eagle:

Your posts make me sick to my stomach.

There is absolutely zero comparison with what you are posting relative to military service during time of conflict.

Lobby for your own "day" of recognition, but please, make no comparisons to your experiences to those who have put their lives on the line to preserve your rights of free expression.

harvey

Harvey,

FYI, I retired in 2002 after over 20 years of service in the military. More than half of which involved being deployed to garden spots all over the world.

Hopefully that little factoid doesn't make you more sick to your stomach than you already are.

Thanks,

Mark

Main Entry: fac·toid

Pronunciation: 'fak-"toid

Function: noun

1 : an invented fact believed to be true because of its appearance in print

2 : a briefly stated and usually trivial fact

From Merriam-Webster online

Better choose your words a little more carefully.

Veterans Day, formerly Armistice Day, does not include all victims of the world.

Yes, you are are a military veteran, my hat is off to you. Me too, 3 years, almost one in Nam, not a garden spot at the time.

It is a special day, not to be diluted by the many victims who have been in situations not related to military service.

Mark

Main Entry: fac·toid

Pronunciation: 'fak-"toid

Function: noun

1 : an invented fact believed to be true because of its appearance in print

2 : a briefly stated and usually trivial fact

From Merriam-Webster online

Better choose your words a little more carefully.

Veterans Day, formerly Armistice Day, does not include all victims of the world.

Yes, you are are a military veteran, my hat is off to you. Me too, 3 years, almost one in Nam, not a garden spot at the time.

It is a special day, not to be diluted by the many victims who have been in situations not related to military service.

I prefer this definition:

a brief (usually one sentence and usually trivial) news item

(from Princeton Wordnet)

but whatever...

Perhaps you should read my original post again. After cleaning the vomit off your screen, feel free to edit either of your earlier posts.

The key quote is this: "If November 11th is a day set aside to honor veterans...making November 12th a day to honor survivors of all stripes seems like a great idea."

Maybe you should get your panties out of a twist and chill out. On the other hand, maybe you should report me to the mods...for offending your little politically-correct vision of the world.

I am probably gonna be scaled in boiling water and then burned at the stake for this one but here I go...........

Just because a person is a veteran does not make them worthy of a halo. I appreciate their service during war times and peace times both..........that said being a veteran doesn't make some a "good person."

I can name endless examples..........but I will start with my dad. He ran away at 15 and joined the marines (obviously he lied) and was sent to Korea. He also served in Viet Nam, and he spent 18 months in what was then the Walter Reed soldiers hospital. I am sure he was brave and killed lots of commies.

But, he was also a mean son of a bi tch that put my mom and I through hell until the day he died 3 years ago, and even longer since we just recently settled his probate case.

My point here is this..............Veterans Day is a wonderful and great tribute to those that serve.

Jumping down the throat of a fellow gspotter for using the term veteran is wierd and mean.

Veterans are men and women.............not saints.

Radar

I think RR has said what's on my mind... I was just thinking "cripes, can't anyone make a post without someone reading something into it and making a big deal out of it?"

... kind of reminds me of those folks that feel like they just have to correct others spelling or grammar... what's the point? does it make you feel good to do that? anyway...

Not to disrespect veterans of wars in any way, quite a few "citizens" here and everywhere had sacrificed much in their lives for selflessly pursuing and contributing toward what they believed at the time to have been a higher cause, a greater good, a "service" dedicated toward improving life for others. No, we weren't always "right", nor did everyone do such for the same noble reasons (no more than each and every person who goes into the military).

I encountered a few jerks in the Way, but years later, I still am pleased to have encountered some of the best people in the world, who cannot be faulted for having done the best they could at the time, despite the limitations of a faulty and corrupt system through which we tried to achieve our ideals.

Our service, our effort, our labor, our love in our hearts to God - all we attempted to accomplish for our Lord and His Kingdom - should not be under-estimated.

Some people here still carry some deep battle scars, while others have even lost their lives.

My hats off to you "veterans". Not everything we did was in vain.

Danny

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

It's better to have something to remember than nothing to regret...

Thanks Tom...

Dan- we were posting at the same time...never underestimated...exactly!

we cannot bury the good....

Edited by likeaneagle

Guess I'll chime in here.

When in the evil empire (TWI), we were taught we wrestle not with flesh and blood. Whether there is spirit or not, I can't say. But, is the war between the ears any less a noble fight? Depending on the thoughts, one could physically die, as in a state of war. I daresay, the former could be even more noble, because there isn't necessarily a 'defined enemy'.

However, people who were in a cult share some of the same experiences as soldiers. Being such an intense situation, bonds formed were much quicker and lasting than in 'normal living'. I won't get into the argument over whether people should or shouldn't call themselves veterans, if that's what gets them through life.

Edited by Sushi