2 Tbs unsalted butter , cubed

3 egg whites

5 Tbs castor sugar or superfine sugar

3 egg yolks

1 large lemon, sested and juiced

2 Tb confectiner's sugar for dusting

4 - 6or 8 oz ramekins

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F

2. Whisk the egg in a med saucepan, mix in the zest and juice of one lemon, 1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch. Set over medium heat, and cook stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Reduce the heat to low, and continue whisking for another minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter. Divide between the four ramekins. Set aside.

3. In a medium glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites with an electric mixer. When they are able to hold a soft peak, sprinkle in 1 Tb of the sugar, and continue mixing until stiff. Whisk the remainig 4 Tbs of sugar into the egg yolks along with the zest and juice of the remaining lemon. Fold a couple of spoonfuls of the egg whites into the whites. Spoon into the ramekins over the lemon curd, and run a finger around the inside of each rim.

4. Place the ramekins onto a baking sheet, and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 15-17 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving.

a favorite for the kids..they can help

deep fried ice cream

take scoops of vannila ive cream and pack them like you would a snow ball

put back in freezer for 20 min or so

for the coating

use crushed corn flakes {you can but them pre crushed

add sugar and cinnoman to taste

get the ice cream balls out of the freezer and coat them with the mixture and refreeze for 20 min

get your deep frier to 350 and drop the balls in for 2 or 3 seconds

yum yum

OK so for Thanksgiving I'm going to make two cheesecakes - the Lemon one that is on the BBQ thread and a Vanilla Bean with Cranberry jewel topping one

I'll wait to post so that I can also post pictures

Edited by doojable

Key Lime Pie

OK, so I asked RumRunner for some advice on making a good Key Lime pie. He and I have slightly different recipes, but he said mine should be fine. He did, however, give me the serving suggestion that follows.

Key Lime Pie

Baked pie shell ( made or pre-bought)

Preheat oven to 350 F

Mix together well:

1 can sweetened condensed milk: 15 oz.

1/2 cup Key lime juice

1 Tbs grated keylime zest

1/4 tsp salt

2 slightly beaten egg yolks (beat until frothy)

Stir until thickened, a result of the reaction of the milk with the citrus juice. Pour the mixture into the baked crust and cover with a meringue made by beating until stiff, but not dry:

2 egg whites

to which are gradually added:

2 Tbs sugar

Bake pie 10 to 15 min or until lightly browned.

Serve with: Andes candies (chocolate mints) and chamomile tea.

recipe from The Joy of Cooking

Edited by doojable

Sticky Toffee Pudding

(This is a totally weird looking recipe, especially the bit about making the sauce. But "stick" with it!)

The recipe is pretty good natured and flexible in the amounts.

For Americans, please note 1 oz is about 25g and 500ml is about 22 oz liquid, rather more than a US pint.

For the sponge:

100g dark muscovado sugar

175g Self Raising flour

125ml full fat milk

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla extract (I never bother)

50g unsalted butter

For the sauce:

200g dark muscavado sugar

25g unsalted butter in blobs

500ml boiling water

Preheat oven to Gas Mark 5/190deg C and butter a 1 1/2 litre (3 pint?) capacity pudding dish.

Combine 100g sugar with flour in large bowl.

Pour the milk into a measuring jug, beat in the egg, vanilla and melted butter and then pour over sugar and flour, stirring with a wooden spoon to combine. Put into dish.

Sprinkle over the 200g sugar and dot with butter. Pour over the boiling water and transfer carefully to the oven. Set timer for 45 minutes, though pudding may need 5 or 10 minutes more.

Top of pudding should be springy and spongy when it's cooked, underneath is a rich sticky sauce.

================================================

Comment:

You will need a fairly large dish as the water on top stands proud before it's cooked; and the mixture rises quite a lot after cooking.

We made this with chopped up dates mixed into the sponge mixture, which added a really delicious flavour. No doubt other fruits (sultanas?) or perhaps nuts could be added to give extra interest to the flavour.

The vanilla essence could be substituted for coffee or other essence to complement other fruits and the taste of the sticky toffee sauce.

Wow, thanks Twinky. I'm supposed to bring dessert to my brother's house for Thanksgiving on Thurdsay. So in addition to the usual apple, pecan, and pumpkin pies, I'll add sticky toffee pudding as well.

Can't wait to see how it goes over! :wave:

Edited by ex10

Christmas Cookies

1 cup of water

1 tsp baking soda

1 cup of sugar

1 tsp salt

1 cup of brown sugar

Lemon juice

4 large eggs

1 cup nuts

2 cups of dried fruit

1 bottle Jose Cuervo Tequila

Sample the Cuervo to check quality. Take a large bowl, check the Cuervo again to be sure it is of the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink.

Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point it's best to make sure the Cuervo is still OK, try another cup just in case. Turn off the mixerer thingy. Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit, Pick the frigging fruit off floor. Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers just pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the Cuervo to check for tonsisticity.

Next, sift two cups of salt, or something. Check the Jose Cuervo. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can find. Greash the oven. Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall over. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the Cose Juervo and make sure to put the stove in the dishwasher.

CHERRY MISTMAS

• 5 weeks later...

This recipe has traditionally been made at Thanksgiving in our family - but its so pretty that I have been known to buy extra cranberries and make it in the summer.

Cranberry Salad

2 Pkgs. Cranberries - chopped in a food processor

2 cups sugar

2 small cans Crushed Pineapple

2 pkgs. Large Marshmallow, quartered (The mini marhmallows don't work as well - the cut edges are neccessary)

Combine the above 4 ingredients & refrigerate 24 hours, stirring occassionally. (I use a large Tupperware container and just turn it over each time the fridge is opened.)

Before serving, stir in:

1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

1 pint whipping cream -(that you have whipped) Cool Whip is not a good substitute here, nor is ready made whipped cream.

This is a beautiful pink dessert, and it is sweet without being too sweet.

ENJOY!

Here's one for a BANANA SPLIT DESSERT I got from a lady I used to work with. The company I worked for then, had a pot-luck lunch every month or so -- and she was always relegated to desserts, since she was SOOOOO good at it. :)

BANANA SPLIT DESSERT:

CRUST:

2 cups graham cracker crumbs

1 stick margarine

(melt margarine and mix with crumbs. Press crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 pan.

Chill in refrigerator, while making the filling.)

FILLING:

2 eggs, 2 sticks of margarine, 1 tsp of vanilla, 2 cups powdered sugar.

(Beat this at the highest speed of mixer for 15 minutes)

THIS IS A MUST!!

Spread filling over chilled crust and cover with a layer of sliced bananas.

Cover the bananas with one 8 oz carton of Cool Whip.

Garnish with marachino cherries (chopped).

Drizzle with Hershey's chocolate

Add a sprinkle of chopped nuts (walnuts or party peanuts).

Garnish the entire top with dollops from a can of strawberry pie filling

Refridgerate overnight, or for at least 8 hours.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've made this one myself -- and this recipe WORKS!

Remember the 15 minute rule for the filling - the change in consistancy is amazing.

The hardest part of this -- is the 8 hour wait. ;)

Edited by dmiller

• 9 months later...

This is good baked in a sheet pan, very holidayish, tastes like autumn...

Pumpkin Cake Bars Yields: 20 servings

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup vegetable oil

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/2 tsp each Nutmeg, clove, ginger, or 1 tsp pumpkin spice can be added

4 eggs

2 cups brwn sugar

2 cups canned pumpkin

chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two sheet pans 9 x 13 .

2. Mix all ingredients until well blended.

3. Bake for 25 minutes.

Cool and frost bars with powdered sugar, powdered sugar glaze or top with Cream Cheese Frosting and sprinkle with pecan pieces.

Gingerbread cake --- this says fall at our house.

bake at 350

.5 cup butter

.5 cup sugar

1 egg

1 cup (or a littlemore) Molasses

2.5 cups flour

1.5 teaspoon soda

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon ginger ( I add more)

1 cup hot water

cream butter and sugar

add egg and molasses

sift dry ingredients together

Alternate flour stuff and water

13x9x2 pan -- this cook very even and is good for transportation with a lid

bake 40-50 minutes -- here in NM I only cook 35-40 on humid days

Serve warm with dollops of unsweetened Whipped Cream (the real stuff)

• 1 year later...

Chocolate Truffle Cake

2 Pkgs (8oz each) semisweet chocolate squares

1 1/2 cups butter or margarine

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup light cream (though I used heavy - couldn't find "light cream")

6 large eggs

2 tsp vanilla

Chocolate Glaze

Sweetened Whipped Cream

Mint leaves for Garnish (Take these from the mint leaves you're using to make Mojitos ;) )

1. Preheat oven to 350*F. Line bottom of 9-inch springform pan with foil, tucking foil edges under bottom. Attach springform side. Bring foil up around side of pan. Grease foil-lined bottom and side of pan with butter, set aside.

2. Heat chocolate, butter, sugar, and cream in heavy 2-quart saucepan over low heat until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. stirring frequently. Remove mixture from heat.

3. Beat eggs and vanilla in large bowl with wire whisk until frothy. Slowly whisk in warm chocolate mixture until well blended. Do not vigorously beat mixture. You do not want to incorporate air into the mixture.

4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 45 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted about 1 inch from edge comes out clean and center is set. Cool cake completely in pan on wire rack.

5. When cake is cool, carefully remove side of springform pan. Leave cake on bottom of pan. Wrap cake in foil. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight.

6. Prepare Chocolate Glaze. Unwrap cake. Remove from bottom of pan and place upside-down on cake plate. Surround cake with waxed paper strips.

7. Spread top and side of cake with warm glaze, using metal spatula. Remove waxed paper after glaze sets.

8. Prepare Sweetened Whipped Cream. Spoon cream mixture into decorating bag with medium star tube. Pipe cream around edge of cake.

9. Garnish with piped cream. Refrigerate until serving. Just before serving, garnish with mint leaves.

Makes 16 to 20 servings (uhhh yea... right ;) )

Chocolate Glaze

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

2 Tbsp butter or margarine

3 Tbsp Half-and-half

2 Tbsp light corn syrup

Heat chocolate chips and butter in heavy 1-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Stir in half-and-half and corn syrup until smooth.

Makes about 1 1/4 cups

Sweetened Whipped Cream

1 cup heavy cream

2 Tbsp powdered sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla

Chill large bowl, beaters and cream thoroughly. Place cream, sugar and vanilla into chilled bowl and beat with electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. To test, lift beaters from whipping cream; mixture should have droopy, but definite peaks. Do not overbeat. Refrigerate.

Makes about 2 cups.

Edited by doojable