GreaseSpot Cafe

soups

coolchef

Hey there Cool One :wave: Here is a Rachael Ray recipe that is absolutely delicious! I substituted turkey sausage for the italian and you need to cook it a bit longer than the recipe says. I think she cooked the lentils separately so that decreased the cooking time. I just copied the recipe off of foodnetwork.com.

Hungarian Sausage and Lentil Soup

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan

1 1/2 pounds bulk hot Italian sausage

3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 medium onion, chopped

2 portobello mushrooms, gills scraped out, chopped

1 cup pre-shredded carrots, available in sacks in produce department of the market

1 cup lentils

1 large starchy potato, peeled and chopped

Salt and pepper

1 bay leaf, fresh or dried

2 teaspoons smoked paprika (or substitute a mix of 2 teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon sweet paprika and 2 pinches cayenne pepper)

3 sprigs fresh rosemary, in tact on stems

1 (14-ounce) can fire roasted chopped tomatoes, such as Muir Glenn or, regular diced tomatoes

6 cups chicken stock

4 cups kale or chard, a small bunch, veins removed and chopped

Heat a medium soup pot over medium high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, then add sausage to pot and brown and crumble it, then add garlic, onions and mushrooms. Cook a few minutes, then add carrots, lentils, potato, salt and pepper, bay leaf, paprika or substitute mixture and rosemary (leaves will fall from stems as stoup cooks). Add tomatoes and broth and cover pot then raise heat to high and bring to a boil. Uncover pot and place heat back a bit but keep stoup at a good rolling boil. Cook 15 minutes until lentils and potatoes are tender. Wilt in greens in small bunches, remove rosemary stems and turn off heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Serve in shallow bowls with bread and butter to mop up stoup. Reheat leftovers thinning it with broth or water.

I hope you get a chance to try this. I made it for some folks and with a rebel yell they cried "more more more" :)

Ohbehave, I LOVE Rachel Ray! I'll definitely give this one a try! It looks healthy, too.

Never heard of "smoked paprika". Something new! I love it! I have a Hungarian Spicy Paprika that I use exclusively in place of "normal" paprika. Will have to look for the smoked kind next time I'm at the store. Thanks!

Belle - that was hardly a casserole - but here goes:

Eggs, beaten

onions, chopped

garlic

green bell peppers, chopped

reindeer sausage, cut in 1/2 circle slices

Roma tomatoes, sliced into circles

grated cheddar cheese

I a very large skillet, melt butter (real butter - not that fake junk) Add onions and garlic and saute until tender, add peppers, and sausage. Mix in eggs. As eggs begin to set, add tomatoes and cheese.

Serve hot with lots toast, bagels, whatever - and lots of LOVE!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm into the Italian lentil soup that's actually a mix - but I add to it. It has fennel and garlic in it. I add some left over meats, like if we have sausage or chicken in the fridge. I've added pasta, rice, tomatoes about anything you can think of - I use the mix sorta as a base. It makes a great soup. If I can find it online, I'll post a pic of the package - it's easy to find.

Chas that sounds really good! Thanks for posting it. I'm going to look for the Italian mix and do the add ins like you mentioned.

Belle I like Rachel too. Her enthusiam helped rescue me from fast food - frozen dinner hell :eusa_clap: It's so true what she says about the stuff that's added in that crapola and you don't have any control over it. I think it's the idea that it can really be done in a short amount of time that helped encourage me. Sometimes when I come home from work I'm dragging so to be able to have some quick fix ideas is great.

Edited by ohbehave