GreaseSpot Cafe

PIZZA

dmiller

Dooj -- this is a thread for you to shine on.

I will publicaly confess here that pineapple is really good with Canadian Bacon,

but NOT with other toppings on that peculiar conncoction (sp?) we all call *pizza*..

OK -- NOW --- with that being said ---

You made some comments in the *Limerick BBQ Thread*,

about if I showed up there in Texas,

you would show me what a REAL pizza was like.

We do pizza at the group home that I work at for supper occasionally,

but the one guy there that has the weight issue is always left out.

Can you give me a healthy (low fat) recipe for pizza,

so that Jeff can enjoy what my other clients are having for dinner,

on that particular night???

I promise -- I will make NO REFERENCES to pineapple here.

It saddens me (a lot) -- to see Jeff staring at the other plates,

and not being able to partake, like they are.

He's fixated (is that a word?), on what everyone is eating -- at all times.

He's a victim of PRADER-WILLIE SYNDROME,

and nothing would please me more, than to see him eat a meal, that everyone else is enjoying.

It's what he lives for --- daily.

Thank you.

Edited by dmiller

Most grocery stores now sell pre-made pizza crusts. Look for one that is made of whole wheat or multi-grain. The fiber will do a lot of good in counteracting some of the fat.

Sauce is easy, as it is usually fat free or low fat. Again, you can pick from a variety at the grocery store.

Buy low fat or no fat cheese for the topping. (low fat will taste better than fat free).

Top with any veggies you want and avoid the meats. If you want to add meat, use a low fat ham or turkey ham.

*****Posted by Abigail, who is too lazy to log Sushi out****************

Yeah, I like multi-grain Freschetta frozen pizzas... and whenever I cook one, I cut it in half (otherwise, I might eat the whole thing before morning), and ALWAYS put tomato slices, onion and roasted garlic (which becomes toasted garlic) on it. Often I also use fresh roasted bell peppers too.

Dmiller - let me look for lots of recipes. One major issue in the US is that we put WAY too much cheese on our pizza! We even layer the crust with cheese and then also stuff the outside with cheese! (Heart attack on a plate)

In Italy, there is very little cheese, and the toppings are more flavorful. I'll try to come up with something that makes everyone happy. Now - I'd also go to RumRunner's site and take Sushi's suggestions.

get back to you soon

Since I'm a single gal, I'll occasionally make pizza on split pita bread. Good and just enough for me.

I also have a recipe for pizza using a zucchini crust that tastes really close to "real" pizza if it's done right. I'll look it up in my collection if you're interested. I learned of it when I was on SugarBusters!

Pizza

I use a pizza stone to make sure the crust is real crusty. Cook pizza in a 450 F oven. about 35 min.

Dough

1/2 oz (1 cake) compressed fresh yeast or

1 package active dry yeast

Slightly less than 1 cup lukewarm or hot water (use lukewarm for fresh yeast and hot for dry yeast)

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

Pinch of salt

1 Tbs olive oil

Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm or hot water.

Arrange the flour in a mound in a large bowl and make a well in it, then pour the dissolved yeast, salt, and the olive oil into the well.

With a fork, slowly work the flour from the inside wall of the well into the liquid.

When the mixture becomes solid enoug to resemble a sough, work in the rest of the flour with a folding motion of your hands, laving about 1 Tbs or the flour unincorporated. Place the dough in another bowl, sprinkle with the laeftover flour, and cover with a cotton dishtowel. let rest until doubled in size (about 1 hour at room temp) away from drafts.

When ready, spread the dough with your fingers on a floured cutting board. I have a peel - the wooden board that is used to put pizzas in the oven - if you don't, use a cutting board to slide the pizza into the oven. Make the dough fairly thin as it will rise a bit,

I make my own pizza sauce. Then I top it lightly with mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, capers, olives, green peppers, or whatever I want. The real trick is to not put too much sauce on the dough and to work quickly. I have let the kids make their own pizzas.

I also like artichoke hearts, spinach, pesto instead of red sauce, chicken, and mozzarella cheese - its called a "white pizza" Very tasty!

Pizza Sauce

Best made an hour or two ahead since it needs to be cooled.

1 14 oz can tomato sauce

1 sm can tomato paste

basil

4-6 cloves garlic, mashed

salt and pepper

celery seed

oregano

put all ingredients in pan and heat. Add a bit of water for better consistency - but do not make it too runny as it will transfer the moisture to the pizza crust and make it doughy and hard to move to the oven.

bon appetito

Edited by doojable

FOUND IT!! I have to credit MELF at www.3fatchicks.com for posting this. We got to be really good friends over there. :)

Really good!!! Whoever suggested trying zucchini for a pizza crust, I could just hug you! I made this last night and my husband and I loved it. It does not take that long to make. Really tasted like pizza!

Zucchini Pizza - about 30 min prep time, including baking. Bake at 400. 4 servings, unless you're my DH, then 2 servings :-)

crust:

1 large zucchini grated (about 3 cups) drain and really squeeze out extra juice, I got at least 1/4 cup out)

1 egg

1/2 cup cheddar cheese

1/2 cup mozzerella cheese salt and pepper

1/2 can Cantadina pizza sauce toppings: (I used spaghetti sauce)

1 pound pork sausage

1/2 green pepper chopped

1/2 onion chopped

1/2 cup sliced raw mushrooms (or more)

cheddar and mozzerella cheese (at least 1/2 cup each)

pepperoni pizza seasonings in a jar (I used italian seasoning)

Brown sausage. Drain grease, if there is any. Add onion and green pepper, cook until slightly soft.

Add mushrooms to brown them. Add salt, pepper, a little pizza seasonings. (While sausage is browning...)

Mix zucchini, egg, cheeses, salt and pepper. Press into a greased 12" glass pie plate (I spray with Olive Oil). Bake 10 min at 400 degrees. It puffs up.

Spread sauce on top, covering edges too. Sprinkle a little pizza seasoning on sauce.

Add sausage/veggie mixture on top. Add cheeses.

Bake another 10 minutes at 400 or until cheese gets a little brown.

Take out of oven and let it rest 5 minutes to set up cheese.

Carb count from Netzer's book: Zucchini - 12 carbs egg - .6 1/2 can of sauce - 14 carbs 1/2 green pepper - 2.5 carbs 1/2 onion (1/4 cup) - 3.5 carbs 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms - 1.6 carbs 1 cup cheddar cheese - 4 carbs 1 cup mozzerlla cheese - 4 carbs None for the meat.

Whole pie has: about 42.2 I could only eat about 1/4 of it, so that would be 10.6 carbs.

You could substitute turkey sausage and low or reduced fat cheese.

It IS really good! I love it and even made it quite a bit after I quit following SugarBusters!

• 2 weeks later...

Pizza is healthy!!!

If you want maximum low-cal, though, I'd try a genuine pizza napoli

to make that, use homemade dough (as above), roll it out THIN, and put it in an oven.

Bake it for about 10 minutes...until it's mostly done...about 10 minutes. Pull it out and cover with sliced tomatoes and sprinkle oregano and basil on top. Then drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil. Put it back into the oven for another 5 minutes and then serve.

If you want cheese, suggest you use genuine mozzarella buffala. Again, thinly sliced.

You want healthy? Use homemade crushed/pureed tomatos. Avoid the canned stuff: too much salt.

And remember that pizza is supposed to be THIN...

The order should be dough (thin), tomatos (thin), oregano/basil, olive oil (extra virgin ONLY...drizzled), uncooked meats (thin), cheese (thin), veggies and pre-cooked meats...on top.

Good, high nutrient toppings that increase the health value:

fresh spinach...put on the pizza just a couple of minutes before it's done

eggplant: thinly sliced

arugula

fresh sardine filets (fresh, not canned)

fresh clams/mussels (fresh steamed...never canned, again)

prosciutto (enough for flavor...not to the point of overwhelming)

onion

zucchini, squash

It's largely a matter of personal taste. But real pizza is hardly fattening and can be served almost any way. But the key is fresh ingredients and remember to keep everything thin and...again...fresh.

• 9 months later...

Pita Pizza

This was GOOD!

Take regular pita bread - I purchased mine with the other breads near the bakery at the grocery store (I used whole wheat) -- (0 Fat and only 140 calories)!!! -- (You can also make this on flat bread but that's 200+ calories and 9 grams of fat)

Spread pizza sauce on pita bread with the flattest side down (I used leftover spagetti sauce)

Put toppings on -- My FAVORITE is: tomato (take seeds out so it's not soggy, spinach and roasted garlic -- YUM-O!

*** roast garlic before putting on pizza and then chop

*** fresh spinach ripped into pieces

*** tomato chopped and seeded

Sprinkle on cheese -- mozzarella, italian cheese, whatever you like

Place directly on oven rack for crispy crust. Bake at 350 for about 7-9 minutes

Oh delicious and so EASY! And the perfect, cripsy crust!