• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Eagle --

You like collards...

How about beet greens?

You take the beet greens and cut off the stringy stems, wash them well, and place them in a pot with enough water to cover them. Cook them until they're tender. Serve with apple cider vinegar, salt & pepper, and butter. YUM!

I also like dandelion greens - you gotta get them outta the ground before the bud opens for the first time on the plant or they're really bitter.

Mustard greens are mighty fine too...

One thing, I didn't like putting fat back in with my greens - I found that veggie boullion in the water was way better for flavor - and makes a broth you can use later for soups. :wink2:

• 2 weeks later...

Region Africa, think local and that means lots of different fish with names I don't really know in English except for sole, lotte, red tuna, swordfish, squid, calamari, etc.. The others are too numerous but everything comes direct off the beach from a few painted boats in front of me EVERYDAY! Spices come as far away as Morocco, curry, anis, ginger, clove, nutmeg, cumin, coriander, paprika, safran, piri piri...The potage puts out salad, potatoes, corn, tomat, peppers, carrots and whatever else the gardener and his wife put in the ground. Here everything grows!

We make our own pasta, ice cream, fruit juices, sauces and they get reinvented in different ways. In short because we have no supermarkets to speak of, you make sure when the power goes out the things in the fridge are still ok!

If you're interested in recipes, it's fish cooked in as many ways you can think of with Basmati rice, pasta, veggies, and LOTS of interesting spices, some of which you can probably smoke!

Rocky, my family used to spend winters in Tucson and my brother still spends lots of time there. Lots of tex/mex but not much fish, right?

Chef - I've never had fiddleheads - tell me more about 'em...

Bumpy - sounds interesting - I bet the smoked fish is good - tell me more about it...

Waaaaaza! Not a lot of smoked fish, but cured and carpaccio, lots of fish burned in lemon, olive oil and spices for lunch with salad. But everything for my blood has lots of garlic and more garlic, especially the marinate. I plant French garlic, but the critters love it too! After four weeks eating and drinking wine in South African restaurants I need to divest of 5 kilos. PS. You get lots of great smoked fish in Scandinavia, even on the country roads. After 50 carbs are like cigarettes...watch out!

Waaaaaza! Not a lot of smoked fish, but cured and carpaccio, lots of fish burned in lemon, olive oil and spices for lunch with salad. But everything for my blood has lots of garlic and more garlic, especially the marinate. I plant French garlic, but the critters love it too! After four weeks eating and drinking wine in South African restaurants I need to divest of 5 kilos. PS. You get lots of great smoked fish in Scandinavia, even on the country roads. After 50 carbs are like cigarettes...watch out!

(It was a joke... about the herbs you could put on the fish that you probably COULD smoke... i.e. smoked fish!) :spy:

• 3 months later...

You might want to entertain your wife/girlfriend at this up-coming French dinner? Price $750 pp!

Champagne Reception

Blini with Caviar & Creme Fraiche

Seared Foie Gras Canape with Balsamic Syrup

Tune Tartar with Wasabi & Ginger on Crisp Wontons

Dinner Menu

Seared Diver Scallops with Vanilla Noodles & Passion Fruit Butter

1966 Montrachet, Maison Leroy

Ragout of Oxtails with Morels, Ramps, & Egg Yolk Ravioli

1945 Chateau Leoville Poyferre

1966 Chateau La Mission Haut Brion

Pan Seared Peking Duck Breast with Foie Gras Mashed Potatoes, Sauteed

Brocolini, White Truffle Sauce

1959 Chateau Lafitte Rothchild

1969 Chateau Cheval Blanc

Oven Roasted Rack of New Zealand Lamb with Savoyarde Potatoes, Thin

Green Beans & Bacon Lamb Jus Lie

1961 Chateau Latour

1966 Chateau Latour

1975 Chateau Latour

Cherry Tobacco Infused Chocolate Ganache Tartlet with Plum Confit

1977 Warre's Vintage Port

Coffee, Tea, Petite Sweets

• 1 month later...
CHas- other than fish, what is native to this area?...I know berries and sryup are.

I just found out about coffee cream...a morning drink or something.

Native New England Foods....

Cranberries

Blueberries

Maple Syrup

Apples (wait til this fall - you'll see what I mean)

pumkins

corn

potatoes (more of a Maine thing)

beans

nutmeg

Native New England Foods....

Cranberries

Blueberries

Maple Syrup

Apples (wait til this fall - you'll see what I mean)

pumkins

corn

potatoes (more of a Maine thing)

beans

nutmeg

And Chowder? Seems to me I thought that there's a chowder that involves fish heads... Cod?

And Chowder? Seems to me I thought that there's a chowder that involves fish heads... Cod?

I'm sure there is but I never made it that way. It would make sense that there would a New England recipe that would use up all the parts of something, like fish heads, to get all of the food available from an animal....

My fish (or clam) chowder recipe:

1 stick of butter

1 large diced onion

2-3 stalks of celery - diced

4-6 potatoes - peeled and cut into cubes

1 lb of haddock or cod OR 1/2 lb of clams (shelled, of course)

1/2 lb of salt pork

1 gal of half and half

1/2 gal of whole milk

salt

FRESH pepper (like from a pepper grinder)

Dice and fry the salt pork in a large skillet. Save the grease. Set the salt pork aside.

Pour the grease into the bottom of a large soup pan. Add the butter and melt the butter over low flame.

Add the onions and celery - cook until tender.

Add the fish or clams - cook for just 2-3 mins.

Add the half and half and the milk. Turn up flame until it is ALMOST at a boil - try not to boil this because a skin will form on the top.

Add the potatoes.

Turn heat down to a simmer. Let simmer at least 1 hour.

Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with oyster or chowder crackers and the salt pork (float the salt pork on the top of the chowder before serving - like a crouton.)

Likeaneagle - nutmeg can be bought in a ground form - at any grocery store.

But you can also buy the "nut" and grind it yourself with a special grinder. I'd go to a good spice store and ask them.