GreaseSpot Cafe

Fire Interrupts Fellowhip early Thanksgiving meal

GT

Some of these posts reflect an extreme interpretation of the law of believing. Even LCM once said that he heard people say that if you're believing you don't have to lock your car, to which he said "I believe God and I lock my car!".

quote: Could you point out that rejoicing for me? I don't see it.

Perhaps "rejoicing" was too hyperbolic for you. How about opportunistic? That better?

Perhaps "rejoicing" was too hyperbolic for you. How about opportunistic? That better?

I myself have not read on this thread where anybody is rejoicing over this fire and all are thankful that everyone is safe. But having lived through some of the most legalistic times of TWI, my mind immediately jumped to the reproof (ie: facemelting) that this entire fellowship may go through over this. So I will play the opportunist here and point out some of the utter idiocy that some of us went through in the late 90's with this outfit if something bad happened in our physical realm:

*Whose vegetables in their pantry are not stored alphabetically that caused this to happen......

*There must be some homosexual debil spurt activity going on this fellowship that caused this to happen...

*Who is harboring a secret pet that has caused this to happen..........

*This happened because you were not at the Thanksgiving Advanced whatever..........

*Most likely this happened because every class grad in this fellowship did not have their own subscription to the Way Ragazine........

*You did not submit all the different desserts to HQ that you were having at this dinner.......

It could be that dang just happens sometimes. That is the way I see this. TWI would always try to fault the believer over "their believing" when negative things happen. I would be curious to see how this was handled now with the "kinder and gentler" approach that TWI claims to have. I think that makes it a worthwhile discussion to have (not rejoice over) an opportunity to see how crazy it got at times and what people were being accused of at the fellowship level, and what they had to go through with some of these self-agrandized ego maniac leaders that some of us had to put up with.

Now I don't know how this was really handled with this guy's RC OR BC (or whatever they are called now). I just remember how it would have been handled a few years back.

Sounds to me like potato got it right - they were the opportunist and turned it into a shameless plug for TWI.

Okay people, two things to look at here. Yes, God did make sure no harm came to anyone but the house.

Big assumption that I'm not willing to admit.

This all goes back to something vpw taught years ago. You believe for the best but prepare for the worst. Once you've done your best that you are able, then God can do the rest. Obviously He did here, as there was no harm done except to the house.....

I think if you were to take a look at the number of tragedies occurring to TWI people and compared it with the population in general, you would find the percentage to be about the same. The believing myth has no affect.

The problem here lies in the fact that all good things that happen to TWI people are promoted to the sky by TWI, exhibiting proof that God does in fact bless and protect their people. Bad things occurring are buried and unspoken, except for their witch hunt to place blame on someone for allowing it to happen.

When real life does happen to TWI people and it escapes being buried, someone has to point out that the emperor has no clothes.

How about you said something that was baseless and are now changing the subject...

TWI's leaders was certainly "opportunistic" about pointing out when "cop-outs" were killed after they left TWI. Lunchtimes, Corps nights and the so-called Leaders Tapes are even full of rejoicing at the harm that befell people after they left TWI.

They are gonna pay for this I'm afraid. Somebody is going to come down on them and really hard too -- probably demanding to know where they "blew it".

But I do think I'm afraid for them as to how their "overseers" will spin this. So - I'm praying Father protects them from all that.

:lol:

Edited by mommy1968

It is interesting to me that the newspaper mentioned the affiliation with The Way. I wonder how that came to be. If it had been a group of Episcopalians or Catholics, I wonder if the spiritual beliefs would have been deemed newsworthy.

I think it's possible; you know, for instance, if the reporter had wanted to know why there were 19 people, not related by blood, gathered for Thanksgiving. But even that is not particularly unusual, is it?

My family got together for the holiday and there were 16 of us. If there had been a fire, probably the paper would have mentioned that it was a family gathering, right?

Just wondering about this. Hope everyone else had a happily uneventful celebration!

Good point, Ellen Crean:

It is interesting to me that the newspaper mentioned the affiliation with The Way. I wonder how that came to be. If it had been a group of Episcopalians or Catholics, I wonder if the spiritual beliefs would have been deemed newsworthy.

I think it's possible; you know, for instance, if the reporter had wanted to know why there were 19 people, not related by blood, gathered for Thanksgiving. But even that is not particularly unusual, is it?

My family got together for the holiday and there were 16 of us. If there had been a fire, probably the paper would have mentioned that it was a family gathering, right?

I would think (going back into the files of my memories) the twi part was most important to the participants -- at least to the leadership there who spoke to the reporters -- more important than anything else -- not family, not friends, not the national holiday.

Catholics, Episcopalians, and Jews and other Protestants get together for Thanksgiving to give thanks to their God for stuff and to celebrate with family and friends, and usually some uninvited guests added in for good measure, without emphasis upon their church affiliation.

Non religious people celebrate thanksgiving and are just plain thankful.

But nothing is done in twi without twi getting the glory and praise. It's part of cult mentality.

So in the interview the twi aspect would naturally be the emphasis made by the twiers, which was likewsie dutifully reported.

Morgensen, 85, is a member of The Way International, a nondenominational biblical research, teaching and fellowship ministry. He and 19 other members of his ministry had gathered Sunday at his home, 1811 Rose Drive, for a Thanksgiving feast

Looks to me like the reporter was just giving some background having noticed that it was not just a family gathering. The inclusion of the word member also seems to suport that, no one in the Way would use that word, but a reporter would,which is why it looks to me like she just wrote up a story. There is no long detail about the Way making it the focus of the story actually the cat got the most press from what I see.

... There is very little about current TWI that is actually truly religious.

The Meshach of the Bible didn't "find the safest place" in the burning fiery furnace. Their fire raged and they danced in it and came out without even the smell of smoke on their clothes.

Any religiopus person worth their socks would have thanked God in some way for saving the house....

Even if he was shamelessly plugging his church he would have somehow thanked GOD... on what day was it... THANKSGIVING????

Morgensen's account is the PERFECT example of what TWI is about.

A chimney fire is a normal occurance for those who DON'T properly maintain their chimneys.

Hmmm.... "he who is faithful in that which is least... ???

They didn't even know the place was on fire until they saw & smelled it....

I guess GOD didn't know it was burning?

Long story short, they called 911 before they called on God, then they took it upon themselves to save them selves, then they figured out a way to draw attention to themselves and make themselves look good when in reality the MOST Godly thing they could have done about it was to clean the damn chimney in the first place.

Then they make a whole lot more of the event than it actually was.... I mean isn't the next room over a safe place from the fire in a brick chimney? Its not like the whole place went up in flames them kitty kitty came prancing from the ashes unscathed.

Hey.

How many people whose house almost burns down find a way to get an article in the paper about their church?

I'm wondering how they got around to mentioning it to the reporter...???

GOD had NOTHING to do with this saving of the darn cat. The cat, it seems, was actually smarter than the owner. :-)

Edited by HCW

Morgensen, 85, is a member of The Way International, a nondenominational biblical research, teaching and fellowship ministry. He and 19 other members of his ministry had gathered Sunday at his home, 1811 Rose Drive, for a Thanksgiving feast

If this had been a member of any other church how would the story have read?

"Morgensen, 85, is a retired school teacher and lifelong resident of Podunk, OH. He was entertaining family and friends at his home on Sunday for a Thanksgiving celebration."

WOULD there even be a story if it had been someone from any other denomination? (I think not)