GreaseSpot Cafe

Thanksgiving recipes?

Psalm 71 one

Sudo started a thread up in open about Thanksgiving, which included traditions, memories, too, But here, we're just cooking it--or throwing it, as we see fit! LOL!

So I'm gonna paste what I posted up there about different twists I use for the traditional fare.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For my stuffing I do the regular onions/celery. etc-- and cook up some hot breakfast sausage and mix it in-- with maybe another shake of those little pepper seeds-- (ya know the stuff some people shake on their pizza). And it doesn't get cooked in the turkey, it gets cooked in a lasagna pan so that there's a bunch of the crispy top! LOL!

I've stuffed seasoned hamburger in the cavity of the turkey-- makes that "meatloaf" taste delicious! Only problem is, now that I cook the turkey in an oven roaster bag, the hamburger doesn't get done all the way-- not in the heat long enough, but the turkey is NEVER dry when cooked in a bag.

In my mashed 'taters, I stir in some fresh parmesan cheese, and use heavy whipping cream--no butter. (And of course there's no fat grams there! LOL!!!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How 'bout anyone else? different twists, "nontraditional" foods? Recipes for killer dishes? Pies to throw? :)

:yawn1: I'm ready for a nap! We just had our company holiday dinner - it encompasses ALL the holidays now and coming up. We even have a "moment of silence" to give thanks in whatever way we choose.

My company is mostly a manufacturing plant and most of the factory workers are Vietnamese, Colombian, Hispanic and Engineers. :biglaugh: We have the traditional egg rolls (several varieties), yucca & plantains, fried rice, pasta dishes (very interesting pasta dishes), meat platters, stuffing, gravy, etc.

Desserts are THE BEST: Flan, some Vietnamese kind of Baklava, coconut concoctions, traditional pumpkin pie, cobblers, etc.

I don't have any recipes, but there are three ladies who get a paid day off the day before so that they have time to make their egg rolls. :love3: I'm not sure, but rumor has it the company helps pay for some of their expenses, too. It's all worth it!!! Homemade, real live authentic egg rolls? Ain't nuthin' mo betta!

Psalmie,

That thread up in 'Open' is (as you said) for everything Thanksgiving and not just cooking. Down HERE we deal with the cooking but we all know one thing don't we? I mean if we get really honest.. and that is... it IS all about the food!!! :biglaugh:

Naw, I'm just kidding.. just read Linda Z's post and I bet most of us have similar stories. I've been going to the local Kroger's store and picking up those cheap turkeys. They let you get only one at a trip but my freezer will hold several. I don't know WHY we Americans do turkey only at Thanksgiving and Christmas when it is SO good! I'll be doing turkey this Spring and who knows.. I may do turkey and dressing on July the 4th instead of hamburgers and hot dogs. Truth be known.. I prefer roasted turkey with dressing to hot dogs any day!!

aev.jpg

sudo

What ever happened to roast goose or duckling or even capon, for that matter? All excellent choices if prepared correctly. And what about bread pudding and rice pudding? And sweet potato pie? I'll take that over pumpkin pie any day.

Edited by waysider

I'm sorry folks! I just CANNOT away with that Gawd-awful sweet potato conconction that has marshmallows on top. And I know someone that goes one further - she makes caramel topping as well....

Can you say, "Cavity? Sugar overload?"

Dooj, I made the chocolate swirl cheesecake for our thanksgiving dinner dessert. Excuse me, I read, measured and supervised while my 11 year old made it.

Let me just say it was wonderful!!!

Very very rich and creamy and the only thing that I would do differantly is work on the swirl part. I tried a up and out stir thing as I think you suggested but it was only swirly and pretty on the top. For me it'll take a few practices to get it all the way through the cake.

And I couldn't find chocolate wafers, so we used chocolate graham crackers for the crust.

Very yummy, thank you. :)

• 10 months later...
:yawn1:

My company is mostly a manufacturing plant and most of the factory workers are Vietnamese, Colombian, Hispanic and Engineers. :biglaugh:

Uhh...Belle... where is the country of Engine? If you have Vietnamese from Vietnam, Colombians from Colombia, then Engineers must come from Engine...sorry - couldn't resist

• 1 month later...

I posted this a while back but I decided to put it here:

Cranberry Salad

2 Pkgs. Cranberries - chopped in a food processor

2 cups sugar

2 small cans Crushed Pineapple

2 pkgs. Large Marshmallow, quartered (The mini marhmallows don't work as well - the cut edges are neccessary)

Combine the above 4 ingredients & refrigerate 24 hours, stirring occassionally. (I use a large Tupperware container and just turn it over each time the fridge is opened.)

Before serving, stir in:

1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

1 pint whipping cream -(that you have whipped) Cool Whip is not a good substitute here, nor is ready made whipped cream.

This is a beautiful pink dessert, and it is sweet without being too sweet.

ENJOY!

Here's the gravy recipe I've used for years:

Giblet Gravy

First -make Giblet Broth

2 TBS (3/4 stick) butter

Neck and giblets reserved from the turkey

several cloves garlic, chopped

1 1/2 cups chopped carrots

1 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup chopped celery

5 cups water

1 cup white wine

2 3-inch pieces leek (white and pale green parts only)

8 parsley sprigs

2 tsp chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried

2 bay leaves

2 whole cloves

1/4 teas whole black peppercorns

Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat, Add neck and giblets; saute until brown, about 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer neck and giblets to plate. Add garlic, carrots, onion, and celery to pot. Saute until vegetable brown, about 10 min. Add water, wine, neck and giblets to vegetables; bring to a boil.

Add all remaining ingredients to pot. Reduce heat to meduim-low; partially cover and simmmer until giblets are very tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Using slotted spoon transfer neck and giblets to plate. Cool. Carefully remove all meat from turkey neck. Chop meat and giblets; reserve for gravy. Strain broth into bowl, pressing on solids. (Broth and giblets can be made one day ahead. Cover separately and chill.)

Gravy

Giblet Broth (see above)

Pan juices from turkey

6 TBS (3/4 stick) butter

6 TBS all purpose flour

Chopped turkey and neck meat and giblets reserved from Giblet Broth (see recipe)

3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped

3 TBS brandy

1 lemon, cut in half

Strain pan juices from roasting pan into large glass measuring cup. Spoon fat off top of pan juices. Pour juices and Giblet broth into heavy medium saucepan. Boil broth mixture until reduced to 3 cups, about 10 minutes.

Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; cook until golden brown, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Whisk in reduced broth mixture. Simmer until gravy thickens, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add reserved chopped neck meat and giblets, eggs, lemon halves, and brandy;simmer 5 minutes longer. Transfer to bowl. Serve with Turkey.

*I should add that before roasting, I rub the turkey inside and out with a mixture of softened butter, fresh orange juice, orange zest, thyme and rosemary(all whisked together) - this helps add depth to the flavors of the gravy.

Edited by doojable

I always brine my turkeys.

On another note: I made my "Cranberry Salad" (AKA "Sin Salad") with half the amount of marshmallows and no pecans (requested by a child) and it was quite tasty.

Edited by doojable

No doubt this is just one of many reasons everyone (who has eaten your culinary creations) LOVES your cooking.

:dance: :) :dance:

Thanks Rocky.... I don't brine for 12 hours the way some people do it. I use a ratio of 1 cup Kosher salt to 1 gal water and I brine for two hours.

Then I melt 2 sticks of butter and add the juice and zest of a lemon and an orange, a tsp salt, thyme, rosemary. I whisk those together to emulsify them and rub the mixture all over the bird - inside and out. There's a lot more than needed and I don't stuff the bird, so next time I'm going to use about 4 Tbs of this mixture to saute the veggies for the stuffing.

BTW - that gravy recipe is what people always rave about...

Thanks Rocky.... I don't brine for 12 hours the way some people do it. I use a ratio of 1 cup Kosher salt to 1 gal water and I brine for two hours.

Then I melt 2 sticks of butter and add the juice and zest of a lemon and an orange, a tsp salt, thyme, rosemary. I whisk those together to emulsify them and rub the mixture all over the bird - inside and out. There's a lot more than needed and I don't stuff the bird, so next time I'm going to use about 4 Tbs of this mixture to saute the veggies for the stuffing.

BTW - that gravy recipe is what people always rave about...

Well, that gravy recipe looks awesome... and of course, includes garlic. I wouldn't know how to cook without garlic and/or onions. :biglaugh:

I only cooked one of those three pound turkey breasts yesterday... don't need so much and a full turkey would provide more leftovers than would be eaten on Thanksgiving. And yesterday was my first time trying the brining. So, I looked online for recipes and had to downsize because they are all for a full bird.

So, I used the salt, brown sugar, whole garlic cloves, (genuine) maple syrup, rosemary, sage and thyme... the herbs were fresh. Obviously, I can try different things another time, but this worked pretty well.

:)

I just wanted to say that Dooj's cooking was fantabulous! I was a little concerned about the eggs in the gravy but it was really good (and the turkey was so yummy and that cranberry salad is addictive)!

Thanks again for cooking, dooj...we enjoyed your cullinary skills and your company.

I just wanted to say that Dooj's cooking was fantabulous! I was a little concerned about the eggs in the gravy but it was really good (and the turkey was so yummy and that cranberry salad is addictive)!

Thanks again for cooking, dooj...we enjoyed your cullinary skills and your company.

The pleasure was all mine! You and T-Bone gave me a family to be with for the holiday.

Those kids of your's are wonderful. Give my love to the pups...