GreaseSpot Cafe

music downloads

Abigail

I don't know if it's legal or not, but I use a download deal called "Limewire"

http://www.limewire.com/english/content/home.shtml

But before you download it, wait until you have info from just me. I could be using one that is inferior to some other, and our local internet genius's here may be able to help yopu more than I. This one does work for me though, and I have over a thousand songs in my "Limewire" library. Now what I need, is a cd burner program for my computer...

Oh. And I don't know what "WAVs" are and if the limewire deal is WAVs or not...

Thanks. iTunes did the trick and I am having a blast there. I stay away from the free downloads. They are usually illegal and they tend to carry a lot of bugs. But iTunes is great so far, I've got a ton of songs already. Sunday I'll work on burning them and see how that goes. I figure if I have trouble I know who to call. :biglaugh:

Thanks Paw!!!!!!!

Dowloading free copyrighted music is stealing and is unlawful. Would anyone disagree?

What should you do if you have downloaded hundreds of interesting songs in this manner?

Bring them all over to my house on an external hard drive and I will take them off your hands permanently giving you a clean slate and a fresh conscience.

"Go and sin no more!"

There are songs on limewire that artists have put on ther for free that have no copyrights on them. It will tell you which songs you need the rights to. In answer to the question about how to burn them onto cds. You have to have music software that will burn the songs to cds. Nero is a good one. You can find this one and others for free by going to download.com. Just follow the instrucions. Usually you open your music file and drag them into the music burning software and click burn.

Dowloading free copyrighted music is stealing and is unlawful. Would anyone disagree?

What should you do if you have downloaded hundreds of interesting songs in this manner?

Bring them all over to my house on an external hard drive and I will take them off your hands permanently giving you a clean slate and a fresh conscience.

"Go and sin no more!"

Musicians often put their stuff up for free copying.

Sometimes snippets of songs, sometimes the whole thing.

If it is labeled *free to use*, there is no copyright infringement.

They are putting it out there for public use, and expect it to be used as such.

I'll agree with you about the copyrighted stuff, that is NOT labeled *free to use*.

Some of my fiddle tunes have been recorded by other groups.

I gave them permission to do whatever they wanted with them.

Since I gave them permission, if they choose to put them out there as *free to use*,

I can't (and won't) complain.

But -- that's just my perspective on the subject. ;)

the VAST MAJORITY of songs that you find via Limewire are 100% illegal to download. if it's a song that you would otherwise have to buy, on CD or iTunes or whatever, downloading it is stealing. even if it doesn't feel like it.

i'm not telling anyone what to do, just telling you what's what. do with it what you will.

Many times I use limewire when I want to see different takes on a song. For instance 500 groups have done takes on Big Yellow Taxi. I have the original CD but I like hearing what different styles the song has been done in just to learn what you can do with a song. Many of them are not copyrighted they were just groups having fun with a song. Nothing wrong with that, and nothing wrong with downloading it. Many groups put songs on there just for fun. Other times I've seen it where a group will put one song from a CD on Limewire to get exposure. You can listen to it and if you like the one song then you say hey I like their style so I will go out and buy the CD. Iv'e done that too. It's not just about money.

Edited by polar bear