GreaseSpot Cafe

left over's

likeaneagle

Well, I turned the turkey breast into turkey salad.

Now for the left over mash potatoes:

German Potato Pancakes:

take left over mash potatos and add:

1 egg

1/8-1/4 cup of flour

parsely

tad of garlic

chopped green onion (fine)

s&p

drop into hot sizzling oil (a little)

about the size of pancake (you may have to flatten a little)

top with sour cream (yum)

plop onto your plate next to Ron's bear stew and bona petit'

I've used the leftover turkey and gravy to make some wonderful turkey popovers. They go great at a Christmas brunch if you just freeze them before cooking them.

I use leftover turkey and the carcass of the turkey to flavor the broth in Minestrone - just boil the carcass ahead with the broth and the water that you need to use later and add the meat after the broth is added.

Edited by doojable

Turkey Hash

Just layer your leftovers:

dressing, turkey, gravy,veggies (optional),mashed potatoes, cover with foil. Heat in oven at 350 til heated thru. Depends on how much you have to determine time and enjoy. You could always make more gravy and place it anywhere in the dish or serve on the side.

Turkey soup is one of my favorite things. . .the little bits of leftover gravy, potatoes, dressing, peas, creamed onions, carrots, jelled stuff around the turkey that didn't get put into the gravy and broken up carcass (no cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes or pickles though).

This for me is one of my all-time favorite comfort foods.

Shepherd’s pie (added by request)

This is the archetypal “left-overs” meal. The only essentials are the meat and the mashed potato topping. Traditionally the meat is left-over lamb (hence the “shepherd” part of the name, but it works equally well with other meats, eg, beef.

The recipe is very flexible and quantities and cooking times can be to suit. If the meat is thoroughly heated, the potato can just be piled on top and you can finish it under the grill/broiler.

Shepherd’s pie

8-12 oz cooked meat

1 oz dripping or fat

1 onion

2 tomatoes

Good pinch mixed herbs

Seasoning

¼ to ½ pint stock/brown sauce/gravy (dep on personal preference)

1 lb mashed potatoes

1 oz butter/margarine

Method:

Cut meat into neat pieces or mince up.

Heat dripping or fat.

Fry the finely-chopped onion in the fat for 3 mins

Add the skinned tomatoes and the meat. Heat together for 3 mins

Add stock/sauce – the amount depends on how firm or soft you like the mixture.

Put into a pie dish and cover with the mashed potato. Fork the mashed potato over or pipe it – you don’t want a smooth layer, but it should be slightly rough-looking with little peaks.

Dot with the butter or margarine, to help it to brown.

Bake for 35-40 mins @ 375-400 F / Gas mark 5-6 until top is crisp and brown.

Variations:

• Sprinkle top with a little grated cheese (not too much) instead of butter.

• Add a carrot to the meat mixture (NB this is not a “meat and veg” pie so don’t overdo the vegs

• For lamb, add mint, tarragon and/or basil.

• For beef, try a little mustard or a small pinch of curry powder instead of herbs.

If you substitute pieces of fish for the meat, you get Fisherman’s pie

I make tandoori turkey from the leftovers. It's become a tradition in our home for the last few years. Hubby and kids look forward to that almost as much as they look forward to t-day! I serve it with a homemade cucumber sauce (like you get with gyros), homemade naan (an indian bread), and this year I added saffron rice with indian spices.

NO LEFTOVERS WERE LEFT!!!!!!

Sorry, I thought everyone had heard of it... (although I admit I didn't know much about it before meeting hubby - it's his favorite!)

Here's the recipe....

6 oz. spaghetti, cooked

1/4 c. butter

1/2 c. flour

2 2/3 c. chicken broth

1 c. cream

1/4 c. sherry

1 tsp. salt

Pepper to taste

1/2 lb. mushrooms

1/2 c. chopped green peppers

1 c. grated Parmesan cheese

In large pot, melt butter; add flour and whisk. Add wine, cream, seasonings, cheese, turkey, mushrooms and green peppers. Place cooked spaghetti in bottom of baking dish and top with tetrazzini mixture. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.

• 6 years later...

Leftover turkey:

Turkey Hash

7-ATTK-Turkeyhash-400x225.jpg

INGREDIENTS;

4 tbsp. butter

3 strips bacon, chopped

1 large onion, chopped

1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped

1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped

salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

1 lb. red potatoes, cut into 1 ½"–2" cubes (about 4 large)

1 tbsp. chopped thyme

3 cloves garlic, chopped

2 cups cooked turkey, shredded into 1"–2" chunks

½ cup chicken stock

¼ cup cream

1 tsp. worcestershire

2–3 dashes hot sauce, plus more for serving

1 tbsp. dry sherry

4 fried eggs

INSTRUCTIONS;

1. Heat 12" cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tbsp. butter and bacon, and cook until browned and crisped, about 5 minutes. Add onion and peppers, and cook till slightly softened, about 12 minutes. Stir in potatoes, thyme, garlic, and turkey, and season with salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Whisk together stock, cream, worcestershire, hot sauce and sherry, and pour evenly over hash. Mash lightly and press firmly into skillet; cook until browned on the bottom and hash holds together in a loose cake, about 25–30 minutes. Place a 12" plate over skillet, and invert hash onto plate; set aside.

2. Melt remaining butter in skillet, scraping up browned bits, and return hash to skillet, uncooked side-down. Cook until browned on bottom and potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes more. Cut into quarters and top each with a fried egg; serve with hot sauce, if desired.

MAKES 4 SERVINGS

And another turkey dish:

Veal (or Turkey) Piccata

Tender veal scaloppine dredged in flour and sautéed in butter get a boost of brightness from a simple pan sauce made with white wine and a generous squeeze of lemon. This is also a great recipe using Turkey. Just slice the raw breast a little over 1/4 inch thick and pound...everything is the same! Yum

7-SAV150-138.VealPiccata-750x750.jpg

INGREDIENTS;

2 lb. veal cutlets (or turkey) also called scaloppine, pounded until ¼" thick (about 12 total)

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

½ cup flour

4 tbsp. unsalted butter

2 tbsp. olive oil

½ cup dry white wine

1 ¼ cups chicken stock

1 lemon, thinly sliced

1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

¼ cup capers, drained

2 tbsp. chopped parsley

INSTRUCTIONS;

1. Season veal (or turkey) with salt and pepper and dredge in flour, shaking off excess. Heat 2 tbsp. butter and oil in a 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add veal, and cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, and set aside.

2. Add wine to skillet, and cook, scraping bottom of pan until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add stock and lemon slices, and bring to a boil; cook until reduced by half, about 8 minutes. Add remaining butter, juice, capers, and parsley, and season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over veal and serve immediately.

SERVES 4 to 6