GreaseSpot Cafe

Did someone say BEER?

ChasUFarley

I'm a Sam Adams Snob - I love Sam Adams, especially the seasonal ones.

There used to be an Awesome Australian beer called XXXX - yep, that's it - 4 X's - actually Castlemain's XXX is the formal name, I think. I can't find it down here anymore, maybe you have it up there, though. I've actually become somewhat more of a win-o lately.

Belle -- Sams did a Double Bock that I would give my left _____ for, if I could still find it. It was the best ever. I usually like thick English/Irish beers - Guiness, Murphy's, etc. - but this was a little lighter than those but had a rich, almost chocolate taste. It's still quite thick and very sweet. Great stuff.

I think they do a Chocolate Bock that you can get in most states - sometimes the proof of the beer will be too high for certain states - NH has a law that you can't have over a certain proof, therefore we don't get most of the special Sam beers here. I usually stop at a specialty shop in Maine when I'm there for such treats - maybe once a year - HA!

www.binnies.com

A huge liquor warehouse in CHicago. They carry rare Boubons, Brandy's, and a huge wine cellar or shoulds I say many cellar's, shop for the holidays..realy nice and special items. www.binnys.com

My favorite beer is a german beer..

post-548-1165272479_thumb.jpg

Edited by likeaneagle

http://www.binnies.com

A huge liquor warehouse in CHicago. They carry rare Boubons, Brandy's, and a huge wine cellar or shoulds I say many cellar's, shop for the holidays..realy nice and special items. www.binnys.com

My favorite beer is a german beer..

post-548-1165272479_thumb.jpg

Likeaneagle --- The beer pictured in your attachment is from Wisconsin.

Leinenkugel's is made in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin -- 150 miles from me.

Actually --Oakspear met Jake Leinenkugel a coupla years ago.

You can read about it HERE, from the GS Archives. :beer:

Edited by dmiller

I knew someone in Alaska who actually home-brewed some beer. It was a long process...First we had to boil whatever it was in the pot....man it really stunk....Our Limb Coordinator came home and had a fit....

Then we poured it all in bottles...and every so often we had to add stuff to it...and after about a month.....it was ready to taste.....Wow! That was the best beer.......

I'm still laughing.....

We made some home brew. You boil, hops and malt, along with other things according to what taste you might be going for. You strain it and add some yeast, let it ferment, add some sugar(I think) and then bottle it - wait a month or more......

I don't like beer so it was just a long process for me.

Well - if you brew your own, then YOU get to decide how big "one" is. So the two drink limit get to be about as much as a sixpack - nobody ever said you can't bottle beer in wine bottles......... :beer::drink::anim-smile:

• 3 weeks later...

If you'r ever in SOCAL look up Ston Brewing Company. They have a whoel line of great beers. My two favoites are their double hopped IPA (qud hopped for their holiday bew) and Arrogant Bastard Ale, a strong bitter with gret flavor and you'll have a fine buzz from a single bottle. Two bottles and you'll be asleep.

• 2 months later...

A BEER THREAD!!!! WHOO HOO!!!!

A family from Germany moved in next door to me on some sort of exchange program with the military. And they came bearing gifts.

Man, are they critical of American beer.

But I'm not critical theirs. Anyone heard of Franziskanner?

Someone once told me that America used to have lots of dark beer from individual breweries. But, when WWI and WWII hit and "Rosie the Riveter" was going to the bars - the popular beer became the pale ale.

I'm sure there's some beer history buff out there to either confirm or disclaim my assertions. Like I said, it's only second hand information on my part.