GreaseSpot Cafe

Dear Padawan Magi

krys

I am not starting this thread to be facetious. In fact most of you realize I hardly ever start threads at all! This is an exception.

Since you know so much (said in earnest awe and respect) about "stuff" especially planets and the stars, would you please try to explain this to me:

What do you think earth looks like from a point in space, say near Mars or maybe even Venus?

Would we twinkle? Would we have a color? I know Mars appears redish and Venus yellow kind of.

Krys: No problem at all!

Earth is invisible from the surface of Venus--constant clouds of boiling sulfuric acid obscure the view. The surface pressure is 60 times that of Earth, and the temperature is in the hundreds of degrees.

From Venus orbit, however, Earth would be a brilliant blue-green star, currently in the constellation of Capricornus. Mercury would be slightly dimmer and to its left.

From Mars, Earth is too close to the Sun to be seen today, but would be in the constellation of Sagittarius. It would be about half as bright as Venus (Earth is on the opposite side of the sun than Venus right now. In 2003, Mars and Earth will again make their closest approach.)

Earth is quite visible from the Martian surface, unlike from Venus. The Martian atmosphere is thinner than the air at the top of Mt. Everest. When the sun sets on Mars, the twilight only lasts a few minutes. The night sky from Mars is spectacular, like nowhere on Earth. With hardly any atmospheric turbulence to look through, the sky would be deep, deep black, with the stars like little diamond pinpoints. Earth would be a slightly dimmer blue marble, since Mars is about 30,000,000 miles farther away from Earth than Earth is from Venus. It would not twinkle from Mars. The stars would only twinkle from Mars if there was a windstorm coming up.

Going farther out, Earth would only be visible from Neptune and Pluto if you knew exactly where to look, and a telescope would help.

Hope this helps!

God bless!

Zix

Unbelievable. Thanks Zixar. I should have realized that Venus has so many dense clouds, I knew it too - -just forgot for the moment.

If you ever want amy biological info, I'm "it".

The picture wouldn't "save" for me...maybe when you get time you could try again. I would suggest email, but I know I'm not the only one who would like to see it

Nah, Paw just has to approve all the picture uploads.

If you want a fun tool to play around with, go to www.space.com and download their free version of Starry Night. It's a computer planetarium (user friendly) and will let you play around with questions like this to your heart's content. (It's what I used to determine which constellations Earth would appear in from Mars and Venus.)

God bless!

Zix

PMJI,

I don't know nearly about astronomy as Zixar but I do know a great site for some pics, NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/). There are some wonderful pictures in the archive, which is accessible from a link at the bottom of the page.

Two of my favorites:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020127.html (Zixar's pic, with description)

and http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap001127.html (composite of the Earth at night)

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...