GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Flick

Raf

"It's terribly small, tiny little country. Rhode Island could beat the crap out of it in a war. That's how small it is."

*snicker*

I love that line.

That's all from "ARTHUR." At least, the Dudley Moore version.

We don't know if the new version will have that scene.

In all, I think the first 5-10 minutes or so of "Arthur" is the funniest

part of the movie- all the way up to the next morning, when Hobson's

offering the aspirin and so on. The movie just wouldn't be the same

without it.

Next film.

"I'm proud to recall that at no time at all and with no other recourses but my own resources, with firm application and determination... I made a fool of myself!"

"After the dust had cleared, half the cast had a beard. And I'm the one, as you can see, for whom the bell tolls merrily."

"I'm proud to recall that at no time at all and with no other recourses but my own resources, with firm application and determination... I made a fool of myself!"

"After the dust had cleared, half the cast had a beard. And I'm the one, as you can see, for whom the bell tolls merrily."

"Rules of Chivalry be hanged! Ravenhurst, take that nincompoop, and knight that nincompoop by noon tomorrow!"

" Why be gloomy, cut off thy nose to spite thy face? Listen to me. A nose is hard to replace."

"After months of pleading for just this kind of action, what makes you think that anybody - anybody could make me reveal the identity of my confederate?"

"Because they'd put you on the rack, crack your every bone, scald you with hot oil, and remove the nails off your fingers with flaming hot pincers."

"I'd... like to withdraw the question."

"You'll never outfox The Fox!"

Edited by WordWolf

"Rules of Chivalry be hanged! Ravenhurst, take that nincompoop, and knight that nincompoop by noon tomorrow!"

" Why be gloomy, cut off thy nose to spite thy face? Listen to me. A nose is hard to replace."

"After months of pleading for just this kind of action, what makes you think that anybody - anybody could make me reveal the identity of my confederate?"

"Because they'd put you on the rack, crack your every bone, scald you with hot oil, and remove the nails off your fingers with flaming hot pincers."

(I would have thought the first and last quotes would have done it.

Ok, going to be a touch less obscure, I think...)

"

"When do we start?"

"Tonight."

"Good. I’d like to get in, get on with it, get it over with, and get out. Get it?"

"Got it."

"Good."

"First, plan one. Are you sure you can dispose of my lords Brockhurst, Finsdale, and Pertry?

"Are they married?"

"Yes…"

"Order flowers for the widows. Get it?"

"Got it."

"Good."

"Dire news, sire! I've just come from the forest. The child lives!"

"The child lives?!"

"Aye, sire."

"How know you that this is the royal child and not some outrageous impostor?"

"Because sire, disguised as a member of their group, I saw him. And I can assure you that like his royal ancestors, and on the same spot as his royal ancestors, he bears the royal birthmark."

"The... purple pimpernel?"

"The purple pimpernel."

"I am Giacomo, Giacomo, my fame before me rings --"

"Sir Giacomo! You should be in armor! And you, maid Jean, in the stands."

"If I die, just pray that I die bravely."

"You'll not die, you'll not have to fight him. Griswold dies as he drinks the toast."

Most of you have seen this one, more than once, I'd expect....

Edited by WordWolf

Did Abbott and Costello ever meet Robin Hood?

IF they did, it's news to me, and it would have been long before this movie.

It might have seemed a little like this one, however.

Although I think this is a little closer to the Marx Brothers, for reasons

you can probably figure out once you can name the movie.

That "purple pimpernel" business seems familiar, but I can't place it.

And the "Get it--Got it--Good" routine is also familiar, but maybe that's because Burns and Schreiber used it a lot. :unsure:

George

The "purple pimpernel" was apparently a spoof on a completely different story.

"When do we start?"

"Tonight."

"Good. I’d like to get in, get on with it, get it over with, and get out. Get it?"

"Got it."

"Good."

"First, plan one. Are you sure you can dispose of my lords Brockhurst, Finsdale, and Pertry?

"Are they married?"

"Yes…"

"Got it."

"Good."

"The child lives?!"

"Aye, sire."

"Because sire, disguised as a member of their group, I saw him. And I can assure you that like his royal ancestors, and on the same spot as his royal ancestors, he bears the royal birthmark."

"The purple pimpernel."

"You'll not die, you'll not have to fight him. Griswold dies as he drinks the toast."

======================================================================

"...The pellet with the poisle is in the flaggle with the chalice...."

"...The poison's in the dragon with the pestle...."

"...Eh, ah, the chazzle is in the poisley with the plellice with the plan- eh, plaglice..."

"The pellet with the dragon's in the pestle with the poi-"

"The pezley with the poisle is..."

"The dragon with the poisle's in the pestle..."

"Pazzle with the fleegle..."

"The poisley with the plazzle is the plazzle with the ploizle...

The chalice with the pa... the flagon with the cha... the floizle with the flagon is the chalice with the poison..."

============================

NOW you know this movie!

"When do we start?"

"Tonight."

"Got it."

"Good."

"Are they married?"

"Yes…"

"Got it."

"Good."

"The child lives?!"

"Aye, sire."

"The purple pimpernel."

======================================================================

"...The pellet with the poisle is in the flaggle with the chalice...."

"...The poison's in the dragon with the pestle...."

"...Eh, ah, the chazzle is in the poisley with the plellice with the plan- eh, plaglice..."

"The pellet with the dragon's in the pestle with the poi-"

"The pezley with the poisle is..."

"The dragon with the poisle's in the pestle..."

"Pazzle with the fleegle..."

"The poisley with the plazzle is the plazzle with the ploizle...

The chalice with the pa... the flagon with the cha... the floizle with the flagon is the chalice with the poison..."

============================

"Listen. I have put a pellet of poison in one of the vessels.

"Which one?"

"The one with the figure of a pestle."

"The vessel with the pestle?"

"Yes. But you don't want the vessel with the pestle, you want the chalice from the palace!"

"I-I don't want the vessel with the pestle, I want the chalice from the what?"

"The chalice from the palace!"

"Hm?"

"It's a little crystal chalice with a figure of a palace.

"Th-the chalice from the palace have the pellet with the poison?

"No, the pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle."

"Listen carefully. The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle, the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true."

"I've got it! I've got it. The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle, the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true, right?"

"Right. But there's been a change. They broke the chalice from the palace."

"They broke the chalice from the palace?"

"And replaced it with a flagon."

"Flagon."

"With a figure of a dragon."

"Flagon with a dragon."

"Right."

"Did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?"

"No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon, the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!"

"The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon, the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true."

"Just remember that."

Now even the kids might name this one.....

I finally googled this. I may, indeed, have seen it, on some old movie station or another. I doubt any "kids" will get it, though, since it was made before I was born!

George

I've seen it a number of times and it's older than me as well.

I've seen parts of silent movies (that predate sound in movies.)

I've seen a number of movies that predate me.

I'm hardly the only person who's seen this movie who's younger than it.

Of course, I couldn't recognize Basil Rathbone or the other stars in it,

but I did see it...

I really have trouble with the idea that you've NEVER seen this one,

let alone that incredibly famous scene.

As I said, I might well have seen it. Now that I know the movie and who said the lines, I can get a (dim) mind picture of it. If the scene is that famous, I'm sure someone else will chime in.

And we all have different "movie histories." I,for one, have only seen about 30 minutes of "Gone with the Wind."

George

The quotes sound familiar enough... I think I saw the movie... but I can't figure out what movie it is.

WordWolf, did you say that Basil Rathbone was in that movie?

If so, then I'm not surprised I think the quotes are familiar. I like Basil Rathbone, mostly as a counterpart to Errol Flynn.

It would also mean the movie is old, but the kind of old I know. :)

George, only 30 minutes of Gone with the Wind? Wow. I've watched the movie at least 3 times. I spend most the time wanting to slap the characters into having some common sense, but the movie is good.

Then again, I think Casablanca is boring, and I'm sure most people think that's an outrageous comment or something.

The quotes sound familiar enough... I think I saw the movie... but I can't figure out what movie it is.

WordWolf, did you say that Basil Rathbone was in that movie?

If so, then I'm not surprised I think the quotes are familiar. I like Basil Rathbone, mostly as a counterpart to Errol Flynn.

It would also mean the movie is old, but the kind of old I know. :)

George, only 30 minutes of Gone with the Wind? Wow. I've watched the movie at least 3 times. I spend most the time wanting to slap the characters into having some common sense, but the movie is good.

Then again, I think Casablanca is boring, and I'm sure most people think that's an outrageous comment or something.

AFAIK, this was one of Basil Rathbone's last movies.

(He did quite a bit of television after this, though.)

I'm hopeful someone will chime in, let's give it another day....

Casablanca I like for the great lines, and I think the acting's top-notch and carries

the feel of the time and place- and its timelessness- well.

I'm guessing that WW won't mind my adding a clue: the movie starred Danny Kaye.

George

Basil Rathbone was quite impressed with how fast Danny Kaye picked up stage-fencing.

In fact, in one scene, Rathbone needed a double to keep up with him!

Then again, Kay was about 20 years younger than Rathbone, so that's understandable.

Even so, keeping up with Rathbone's an accomplishment.