GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Flick

Raf

Howard is not a major character in this movie.  More of a henchman.

"And this just in. Scientists discover that Canadian bacon is ordinary ham."

"Shane!"

"Yes, sir?"

"Drinks on the house."

"Yes, sir."

"No, wait a second. Drinks are 50% off."

"Right."

"No, wait a second. Double the price of everything!"

"Yes, sir."

"That's not fair! They've got rocks! All we've got are these machine guns. Oh, mother of pearl, here comes another one!"

"I love to lurk. It's so me."

"Do you really think wearing black will make you a bad guy?"

"I'm wearing black! You just have on navy blue!" [shows their sleeves to compare] "See?"

"HOWARD! Why am I wearing navy blue?"

"I just thought it would look better on you..."

[referring to the letters 'D.D.' being shot into the wall with bullets] "Do you have any idea what this could possibly mean?"

"Doris Day. Just a guess."

"Dom Deluise."

"Daniel Day-Lewis."

"Snoop Doggy Dogg."

"Daphne du Maurier."

"Oh, shut up."

"Doc Duvalier."

"David Duchovny?"

"Delores Del Rio."

"Shut up, you idiots."

George

• 3 weeks later...

Time to get a bit more obvious.

"Shane!"

"Yes, sir?"

"Drinks on the house."

"Yes, sir."

"No, wait a second. Drinks are 50% off."

"Right."

"No, wait a second. Double the price of everything!"

"Yes, sir."

"That's not fair! They've got rocks! All we've got are these machine guns. Oh, mother of pearl, here comes another one!"

"Meanwhile, at an abandoned gold mine, a sinister figure lurks..."

"I love to lurk. It's so me."

"Do you really think wearing black will make you a bad guy?"

"I'm wearing black! You just have on navy blue!" [shows their sleeves to compare] "See?"

"HOWARD! Why am I wearing navy blue?"

"I just thought it would look better on you..."

[referring to the letters 'D.D.' being shot into the wall with bullets] "Do you have any idea what this could possibly mean?"

"Doris Day. Just a guess."

"Dom Deluise."

"Daniel Day-Lewis."

"Snoop Doggy Dogg."

"Daphne du Maurier."

"Oh, shut up."

"Doc Duvalier."

"David Duchovny?"

"Delores Del Rio."

"Shut up, you idiots."

"This is Canada, Nell. Things are real up here."

"General Whiplash, the village is ours."

"Torch it, Shane. Burn everything.

"Yes, sir.:  [salutes]

"No. Wait a minute. That's bad publicity. Have the photographers take pictures of the boys straightening up the place."

"You got it."  [runs off]

[to himself] "Learn from history or repeat it."

George

Next movie.

" I saw Mrs. Claypool first. Of course, her mother really saw her first but there's no point in bringing the Civil War into this."

"Never in my life have I received such treatment. They threw an apple at me."

"Well. Watermelons are out of season."

"I've been sitting right here since 7 o'clock."
"Yes, with your back to me. When I invite a woman to dinner, I expect her to look at my face. That's the price she has to pay."

" I saw Mrs. Claypool first. Of course, her mother really saw her first but there's no point in bringing the Civil War into this."

"Yes, with your back to me. When I invite a woman to dinner, I expect her to look at my face. That's the price she has to pay."

"Let joy be unconfined. Let there be dancing in the streets, drinking in the saloons, and necking in the parlour.    Play, Don."

"Do you have everything, Otis?"
"I haven't had any complaints yet!"

""You live here all alone?"

"Yes. Just me and my memories. I'm practically a hermit."

"Oh. A hermit. I notice the table's set for four."

"That's nothing - my alarm clock is set for eight. That doesn't prove a thing."

• 4 weeks later...

"Listen, Gottlieb, nix on the love making. Besides, I saw Mrs. Claypool first. Of course, her mother really saw her first but there's no point in bringing the Civil War into this."

"Let joy be unconfined. Let there be dancing in the streets, drinking in the saloons, and necking in the parlour.    Play, Don."

""That woman? Do you know why I sat with her? Because she reminded me of you."

"Really?"

"Of course, that's why I'm sitting here with you. Because you remind me of you. Your eyes, your throat, your lips! Everything about you reminds me of you. Except you. How do you account for that? If she figures that one out, she's good."

"So now I tell you how we fly to America. The first time we started we got-a half way there when we run out a gasoline, and we gotta go back. Then I take-a twice as much gasoline. This time we're just about to land, maybe three feet, when what do you think: we run out of gasoline again. And-a back-a we go again to get-a more gas. This time I take-a plenty gas. Well, we get-a half way over, when what do you think happens: we forgot-a the airplane. So, we gotta sit down and we talk it over. Then I get-a the great idea. We no take-a gasoline, we no take-a the airplane. We take steamship, and that, friends, is how we fly across the ocean. "

"Do you know America is waiting to hear him sing?"

"Well, he can sing loud, but he can't sing that loud."

"Well, I think I can get America to meet him halfway."

"Listen, Gottlieb, nix on the love making. Besides, I saw Mrs. Claypool first. Of course, her mother really saw her first but there's no point in bringing the Civil War into this."

""That woman? Do you know why I sat with her? Because she reminded me of you."

"Really?"

"Of course, that's why I'm sitting here with you. Because you remind me of you. Your eyes, your throat, your lips! Everything about you reminds me of you. Except you. How do you account for that? If she figures that one out, she's good."

"So now I tell you how we fly to America. The first time we started we got-a half way there when we run out a gasoline, and we gotta go back. Then I take-a twice as much gasoline. This time we're just about to land, maybe three feet, when what do you think: we run out of gasoline again. And-a back-a we go again to get-a more gas. This time I take-a plenty gas. Well, we get-a half way over, when what do you think happens: we forgot-a the airplane. So, we gotta sit down and we talk it over. Then I get-a the great idea. We no take-a gasoline, we no take-a the airplane. We take steamship, and that, friends, is how we fly across the ocean. "

"Do you know America is waiting to hear him sing?"

"Well, he can sing loud, but he can't sing that loud."

"Well, I think I can get America to meet him halfway."

"Now pay particular attention to this first clause because it's most important. It says the, uh... "The party of the first part shall be known in this contract as the party of the first part." How do you like that? That's pretty neat, eh?

No, that's no good.

What's the matter with it?

I dunno. Let's hear it again.

It says the, uh... "The party of the first part shall be known in this contract as the party of the first part."

That sounds a little better this time.

Well, it grows on you. Would you like to hear it once more?

Er... just the first part.

What do you mean? The... the party of the first part?

No, the first part of the party of the first part.

All right. It says the, uh, "The first part of the party of the first part shall be known in this contract as the first part of the party of the first part shall be known in this contract..." Look, why should we quarrel about a thing like this? We'll take it right out, eh? Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."

Well, I don't know about that...

Now what's the matter?

I no like-a the second party, either.

Well, you shoulda come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning. I was blind for three days!"

11 hours ago, Raf said:

"No, this is a Marx Brothers movie."

That is correct.

"Don't know which one, though."

That also appears to be correct." ;)

"I would guess Animal Crackers or Duck Soup."

Sadly, you would be mistaken.

Go over the quotes, guys,  there's some dialogue that should narrow it down even if all you know is the names.

That's a shame, because there should be 2 best-known movies they made, and Raf named one- the one the Marx Brothers fans tend to prefer, The other is the one with the broadest market appeal- the movie that appeals the most to non-Marx Brothers fans because of its quality as a movie and a comedy, not just as a Marx Brothers vehicle.  "Queen" named an album after it, decades later.  It was the film that saved their careers- because "Duck Soup" was too zany for audiences at the time, and Zeppo left after that one but before this one.

10 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Having seen Bohemian Rhapsody recently, I conclude "A Night at the Opera."

George

That's the movie.  The references to singing should have been some sort of clue.  Lasparri ended up trying to sing onstage, and an audience member threw an apple at him while the crowd booed.  Groucho played Otis B, Driftwood, and Sig Ruman (Sigfried Rumann changed his credits once WW 2 started and Germans were no more liked than Italians) played Gottlieb, who represented the NY Opera Company.   Chico's story of how the 3 aviators came to America (they were impersonating the aviators)  is rather well-known.  The 2 best-known scenes are the contract ("The Party of the First Part in this contract shall be known as The Party of the First Part..") and the stateroom scene (crowding all the people into a tiny bedroom, we didn't get to that scene.)

• 2 weeks later...

"I didn't come here to be insulted!"

"That's what you think!"

"Married. I can see you right now in the kitchen, bending over a hot stove. But I can't see the stove. "

"Remember, you're fighting for this woman's honor, which is probably more than she ever did. "

"I didn't come here to be insulted!"

"That's what you think!"

"Married. I can see you right now in the kitchen, bending over a hot stove. But I can't see the stove. "

"Remember, you're fighting for this woman's honor, which is probably more than she ever did. "

" Something must be done! War would mean a prohibitive increase in our taxes."

"Hey, I got an uncle lives in Taxes."

"No, I'm talking about taxes - money, dollars!"

"Dollars! There's-a where my uncle lives! Dollars, Taxes!"

"Take a card."

"Card? What will I do with the card?"

"You can keep it. I've got fifty-one left. Now what were you saying?"

"The eyes of the world are upon you. Notables from every country are gathered here in your honor. This is a gala day for you."

"Well, a gal a day is enough for me. I don't think I could handle any more."

This is another movie that includes a motorcycle and a sidecar.