Name that Flick

Raf

"What did you think of my father?"

"He was fine."

"Come on. Just tell me."

"He was my boss. Nobody loves their boss."

"Don't sugarcoat this. You're not gonna offend me. Just tell me, man to man."

He was a bit of a dick."

"It's not dying that you need be afraid of, it's never having lived in the first place."

"You brought a gas mask?"

"Of course I brought a gas mask!"

"Why only for yourself?"

"You shot yourself in the face by mistake."

"How long was I out? What time is it?"

"Two o'clock."

"Oh, that's not so bad."

"On Thursday."

"It's Thursday? Are you ki... It's not Monday right now?"

"No. I'm sorry."

"Did you put this diaper on me?"

"I'm only thirty six."

"Thirty six? Holy sh-t, I had no idea. I thought you were 31, tops. I don't even know if I can hire a thirty six year old. We'll have to build a ramp, huh?

"You've got two things:  balls.  I like that in my women!"

"You know what you are. You're a human Swiss army knife."

"I don't know --  what's that mean?"

"It's a little things, and you keep pulling out things, and just when you think there couldn't be any more cool things, a new cool thing comes out, and that's you! You are even dressed like one. You should have a little plus on your chest."

"You are blowing this guy completely out of proportion."

"I will blow this guy in any proportion I want!"

George

[on the phone] "Tell the Mayor, I'm insulted. I would never jeopardize the journalistic integrity of this newspaper for some rent-a-mayor's political agenda.
[to his son] So Britt, here we are again. Sent home after another schoolyard fight. I know you miss your mother. So do I. But I have to take care of 750 employees, and you have to take care of yourself. Still that seems to be asking too much."
"But I was trying to stop some bullies..."

"How do I pronounce your name? Tchaikovsky?"

"Chudnofsky."

"Char... Chudofsk... Chowdofsky?"

"Chud-nof-sky."

"Chudnofsky? All right. Chudnofsky, kiss my a-s. Put your lips to my a-s and kiss it. French kiss it. Tickle it with your grey whiskers. I got bittersweet news for you. You're washed up. You're old. You're boring. You're not scary. You dress like s-it. It's over for you, okay. That's the bitter news. Now the sweet news is: You can retire. You can go play golf, eat your dinners at 3:00 in the afternoon, play with your grandkids, drink Metamucil, old people s-it. Okay?  Look at me. I got a name people can say. My name's Danny Clear. I deal with crystal meth. People call me Crystal Clear. It's easy. Check out my kick-a-s hangout here. I got s-it loads of glass everywhere. I got a see-through piano. Look at my boys. They're pimped out. We got Gucci, Armani, another Gucci, tailor-made. This is what you need to get to the top today. Not hard work. Not looking like Disco Santa Claus. You need charisma. You look like my Uncle Greg. Very nice guy, but, he's a dentist. Now consider this your retirement letter. Boom. It's over. See your way out."

"What did you think of my father?"

"He was fine."

"Come on. Just tell me."

"He was my boss. Nobody loves their boss."

"Don't sugarcoat this. You're not gonna offend me. Just tell me, man to man."

He was a bit of a dick."

"It's not dying that you need be afraid of, it's never having lived in the first place."

"You brought a gas mask?"

"Of course I brought a gas mask!"

"Why only for yourself?"

"You shot yourself in the face by mistake."

"How long was I out? What time is it?"

"Two o'clock."

"Oh, that's not so bad."

"On Thursday."

"It's Thursday? Are you ki... It's not Monday right now?"

"No. I'm sorry."

"Did you put this diaper on me?"

"I'm only thirty six."

"Thirty six? Holy sh-t, I had no idea. I thought you were 31, tops. I don't even know if I can hire a thirty six year old. We'll have to build a ramp, huh?

"You've got two things:  balls.  I like that in my women!"

"You know what you are. You're a human Swiss army knife."

"I don't know --  what's that mean?"

"It's a little things, and you keep pulling out things, and just when you think there couldn't be any more cool things, a new cool thing comes out, and that's you! You are even dressed like one. You should have a little plus on your chest."

"You are blowing this guy completely out of proportion."

"I will blow this guy in any proportion I want!"

George

8 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Any chance this was "the Green Hornet?"

Yes.

I kept picturing Seth Rogen

And rightly so

but kept thinking these quotes wouldn't possibly fit in to that movie. 

Odd, because they all do.  :anim-smile:

George

Next movie.

"I say! You are in need of a soothsayer."

"How did you know?"

"I'd be a fine soothsayer if I didn't."

"It's against Roman law to take one's life. Penalty's death."

"A common courtesan in the house of Lycus?"

"Is that disgraceful?"

"There's no way to make it sound like an achievement!"

8 hours ago, Raf said:

So Life of Brian would be... something approximating?

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

YES. 

Other than those 2 films, I don't know of any similar movies.  If we accept the idea that there's only a handful of plots, then  this one is what you get when you take

Romeo and Juliet,  then set it in ancient Rome, then make it a farce. 

• 3 weeks later...

"Listen, you promise me something, OK? Just if you're ever in trouble, don't be brave. You just run, OK? Just run away."

"This is a new company record! If it wouldn't be such a waste of a damn-fine enlisted man I'd recommend you for OCS! You are gonna be a general someday."

I was going for non-iconic lines spoken by other characters to get it to be at least a LITTLE bit of a challenge.

You are  of course, correct

Edited by Raf

"I knew a man once who said, "Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.""

"I wonder, did your friend smile at his own death?"

"You must know. He was your father."

"You loved my father, I know. But so did I. That makes us brothers, doesn't it? Smile for me now, brother."

"My decision disappoints you?"

"You wrote to me once, listing the four chief virtues: Wisdom, justice, fortitude and temperance. As I read the list, I knew I had none of them. But I have other virtues, father. Ambition. That can be a virtue when it drives us to excel. Resourcefulness, courage, perhaps not on the battlefield, but... there are many forms of courage. Devotion, to my family and to you. But none of my virtues were on your list. Even then it was as if you didn't want me for your son."

George

Interesting guess.  I could envision Loki giving the second discourse.  But, no.

"I knew a man once who said, "Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.""

"You loved my father, I know. But so did I. That makes us brothers, doesn't it? Smile for me now, brother."

"You wrote to me once, listing the four chief virtues: Wisdom, justice, fortitude and temperance. As I read the list, I knew I had none of them. But I have other virtues, father. Ambition. That can be a virtue when it drives us to excel. Resourcefulness, courage, perhaps not on the battlefield, but... there are many forms of courage. Devotion, to my family and to you. But none of my virtues were on your list. Even then it was as if you didn't want me for your son."

"Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?"

"Spaniard! Spaniard! Spaniard! …"

"At my signal, unleash hell."

George

"Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?"

"Spaniard! Spaniard! Spaniard! …"

"At my signal, unleash hell."

"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions and loyal servant to the TRUE emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next."

"Three weeks from now, I will be harvesting my crops. Imagine where you will be, and it will be so. Hold the line! Stay with me! If you find yourself alone, riding in the green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in Elysium, and you're already dead!"

If you know the answer, go ahead.  I won't be back to check, though, at least until Monday night.

George

Next one.

"'m going to be honest with you. I hate this place. This zoo, this prison, this reality, whatever you want to call it. I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell—if there is such a thing—I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear I have somehow been infected by it—it's repulsive! Isn't it? I must get out of here. I must get free...and in this mind is the key, my key."