GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Flick

Raf

Ok, next movie.

"Headaches are like resolutions. You forget them as soon as they stop hurting."

"So far of those I've used, I haven't had much luck with any of them. Well, let's see what they say about this one. They tell you what it's ingredients are, and how it's guaranteed to exterminate every insect in the world, but they do not tell you whether or not it's painless. And I say, insect or man, death should always be painless."

"Sam, this is the last time."

"For what?"
"For this. Meeting you in secret so we can be secretive. You come down here on business trips, the occasional lunch hour, and I wish you wouldn't even come."
"All right, what do we do instead? Write each other lurid love letters? I can come down next week."
"No."
"Not even just to see you? Have lunch?       In public."
"Oh, we can see each other. We can even have dinner, but respectably — in my house with my mother's picture on the mantle, and my sister helping me broil a big steak for three."
"And after the steak, do we send sister to the movies? Turn mama's picture to the wall?"
"Sam!"
"All right. Marion, whenever it's possible I want to see you and under any circumstances, even respectability."
"You make respectability sound disrespectful."
"Oh no, I'm all for it. But it requires patience, temperance, with a lot of sweating out. Otherwise though, it's just hard work. But if I could see you and touch you, you know, simply as this, I won't mind."

"So far of those I've used, I haven't had much luck with any of them. Well, let's see what they say about this one. They tell you what it's ingredients are, and how it's guaranteed to exterminate every insect in the world, but they do not tell you whether or not it's painless. And I say, insect or man, death should always be painless."

"For what?"
"For this. Meeting you in secret so we can be secretive. You come down here on business trips, the occasional lunch hour, and I wish you wouldn't even come."
"All right, what do we do instead? Write each other lurid love letters? I can come down next week."
"No."
"Oh, we can see each other. We can even have dinner, but respectably — in my house with my mother's picture on the mantle, and my sister helping me broil a big steak for three."
"And after the steak, do we send sister to the movies? Turn mama's picture to the wall?"
"Sam!"
"All right. Marion, whenever it's possible I want to see you and under any circumstances, even respectability."
"Oh no, I'm all for it. But it requires patience, temperance, with a lot of sweating out. Otherwise though, it's just hard work. But if I could see you and touch you, you know, simply as this, I won't mind."

"You've never had an empty moment in your entire life, have you?"
"Only my share."
"Where are you going? I didn't mean to pry."
"I'm looking for a private island."
"What are you running away from?"
"Wh-why do you ask that?"
"People never run away from anything."

"The rain didn't last long, did it? [Pause] You know what I think? I think that we're all in our private traps, clamped in them, and none of us can ever get out. We scratch and we claw, but only at the air, only at each other, and for all of it, we never budge an inch."
"Sometimes, we deliberately step into those traps."
"I was born in mine. I don't mind it anymore."
 "Oh, but you should! You should mind it!"
 "Oh, I do, [laughs] but I say I don't."
"You know, if anyone ever talked to me the way I heard — the way she spoke to you..."

"For what?"
"No."
"Sam!"

"Only my share."

"The rain didn't last long, did it? [Pause] You know what I think? I think that we're all in our private traps, clamped in them, and none of us can ever get out. We scratch and we claw, but only at the air, only at each other, and for all of it, we never budge an inch."
"You know, if anyone ever talked to me the way I heard — the way she spoke to you..."

"For what?"
"No."
"Sam!"

"Only my share."

"No! I will not hide in the fruit cellar! Ah ha! You think I'm fruity, huh? I'm staying right here.This is my room and no one will drag me out of it, least of all my big bold son."

"And the forty thousand dollars? Who got that?"

"The swamp. These were crimes of passion, not profit."

17 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Raf's clue would imply "The Birds."  I haven't seen the movie, so the lines and the characters' names don't ring any bells.

George

I'd suspect you weren't as far off as you thought.     But, you're waiting to hear bells in your head?  Are you mad?

"Do you have any vacancies?"

"Oh, we have 12 vacancies. 12 cabins, 12 vacancies."

"It's sad, when a mother has to speak the words that condemn her own son. But I couldn't allow them to believe that I would commit murder. They'll put him away now, as I should have years ago. He was always bad, and in the end he intended to tell them I killed those girls and that man... as if I could do anything but just sit and stare, like one of his stuffed birds. They know I can't move a finger, and I won't. I'll just sit here and be quiet, just in case they do... suspect me. They're probably watching me. Well, let them. Let them see what kind of a person I am. I'm not even going to swat that fly. I hope they are watching... they'll see. They'll see and they'll know, and they'll say, "Why, she wouldn't even harm a fly..."

The film is based on the novel of the same name. The novel is the first part of a trilogy by Kevin Kwan.

Tyersall Park, Nick's grandmother's home, is actually in Kuala Lumpur. Per The Hollywood Reporter: "Tyersall Park, the mansion of the Young family matriarch, was created out of two abandoned Malaysian government-owned buildings in Kuala Lumpur. The jungle had started to take over, floors had collapsed, there was monkey poop and bat populations," says production designer Nelson Coates, who stripped out carpeting, stenciled the floors to look like expensive tile, and found a local muralist to create leafy graphics for the walls.

As of October 2018, the film had grossed over $235 million worldwide, making it the highest-grossing romantic comedy in a decade.

George

Can we stick with quotes in this game and trivia in Mash Up?

This sounds like insane people we used to call oriental but not anymore, but nonetheless are at least fairly well off

I mean Crazy Rich Asians

I suppose I could have been a little less testy.

Where were we? Oh yeah.

The police are always off track with this ---! If they'd watch Prom Night, they'd save time! There's a formula to it. A very simple formula! Everybody's a suspect!