GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Flick

Raf

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

"An Arabic proverb attributed to a prince who was betrayed and decapitated by his own subjects."

"Well, still, it's a hell of a quote."

"I'm scared... help me not to be... how do you choose not to feel?"

"I do not know. Right now, I am failing."

"I wanted you to know why I couldn't let you die... why I went back for you..."

"Because you are my friend."

"Tell me, are you feeling homicidal, power-mad, despotic?"

"No more than usual."

George

"You're a good man. Your brother is a good man. I assure you, there are other good men. Let us hope the will of good men is enough to counter the terrible strength of this thing that was put in motion."

"And they fire their missiles. And we fire ours."

"We gave up so much to get here. I don't know. Sometimes I think, what the hell did we do it for?"

"Well, I don't know about you, but... I'm in it for the money."

"There's no right, there's no wrong, there's only popular opinion."

"Hey... is that the cops? I'm an innocent victim in here! I was attacked by a coked up whore and a - a f--kin' crazy dentist!"

"Oh, wouldn't it be great if I *was* crazy? Then the world would be okay. "

George

• 2 weeks later...

"Hey... is that the cops? I'm an innocent victim in here! I was attacked by a coked up whore and a - a f--kin' crazy dentist!"

"Jose - psst! Jose, what's going on?"
"Bad news, man."
"Volunteers?"
"Yeah. And they said your name....Hey, maybe they'll give you a pardon, man."
"Yeah, that's why none of the volunteers come back. They all get a pardon."

"Kathryn, you're a rational person. You're a trained psychiatrist. You know the difference between what's real and what's not."

"And what we say is the truth is what everybody accepts. Right, Owen? I mean, psychiatry: it's the latest religion. We decide what's right and wrong. We decide who's crazy or not. I'm in trouble here. I'm losing my faith."

"I don't really come from outer space."

"Oh. L. J. Washington. He doesn't really come from outer space."

"Don't mock me my friend. It's a condition of mental divergence. I find myself on the planet Ogo, part of an intellectual elite, preparing to subjugate the barbarian hordes on Pluto. But even though this is a totally convincing reality for me in every way, nevertheless Ogo is actually a construct of my psyche. I am mentally divergent, in that I am escaping certain unnamed realities that plague my life here. When I stop going there, I will be well. Are you also divergent, friend?"

George

"Bad news, man."
"Volunteers?"

"Kathryn, you're a rational person. You're a trained psychiatrist. You know the difference between what's real and what's not."

"And what we say is the truth is what everybody accepts. Right, Owen? I mean, psychiatry: it's the latest religion. We decide what's right and wrong. We decide who's crazy or not. I'm in trouble here. I'm losing my faith."

"Don't mock me my friend. It's a condition of mental divergence. I find myself on the planet Ogo, part of an intellectual elite, preparing to subjugate the barbarian hordes on Pluto. But even though this is a totally convincing reality for me in every way, nevertheless Ogo is actually a construct of my psyche. I am mentally divergent, in that I am escaping certain unnamed realities that plague my life here. When I stop going there, I will be well. Are you also divergent, friend?"

"You know what crazy is? Crazy is majority rules. Take germs, for example."

"Germs?"

"Uh-huh. In the eighteenth century, no such thing, nada, nothing. No one ever imagined such a thing. No sane person, anyway. Ah! Ah! Along comes this doctor, uh, uh, uh, Semmelweis, Semmelweis. Semmelweis comes along. He's trying to convince people, well, other doctors mainly, that's there's these teeny tiny invisible bad things called germs that get into your body and make you sick. Ah? He's trying to get doctors to wash their hands. What is this guy? Crazy? Teeny, tiny, invisible? What do you call it? Uh-uh, germs? Huh? What? Now, cut to the 20th century. Last week, as a matter of fact, before I got dragged into this hellhole. I go in to order a burger in this fast food joint, and the guy drops it on the floor. Jim, he picks it up, he wipes it off, he hands it to me like it's all OK. "What about the germs?" I say. He says, "I don't believe in germs. Germs is just a plot they made up so they can sell you disinfectants and soaps." Now he's crazy, right? See?"

"Cassandra in Greek legend, you recall, was condemned to know the future but to be disbelieved when she foretold it. Hence the agony of foreknowledge combined with the impotence to do anything about it."

George 

No.

SyFy had a TV show based on this movie that ran four seasons.

"Bad news, man."
"Volunteers?"

"You know what crazy is? Crazy is majority rules. Take germs, for example."

"Germs?"

"Uh-huh. In the eighteenth century, no such thing, nada, nothing. No one ever imagined such a thing. No sane person, anyway. Ah! Ah! Along comes this doctor, uh, uh, uh, Semmelweis, Semmelweis. Semmelweis comes along. He's trying to convince people, well, other doctors mainly, that's there's these teeny tiny invisible bad things called germs that get into your body and make you sick. Ah? He's trying to get doctors to wash their hands. What is this guy? Crazy? Teeny, tiny, invisible? What do you call it? Uh-uh, germs? Huh? What? Now, cut to the 20th century. Last week, as a matter of fact, before I got dragged into this hellhole. I go in to order a burger in this fast food joint, and the guy drops it on the floor. Jim, he picks it up, he wipes it off, he hands it to me like it's all OK. "What about the germs?" I say. He says, "I don't believe in germs. Germs is just a plot they made up so they can sell you disinfectants and soaps." Now he's crazy, right? See?"

"Cassandra in Greek legend, you recall, was condemned to know the future but to be disbelieved when she foretold it. Hence the agony of foreknowledge combined with the impotence to do anything about it."

"...5 billion people will die from a deadly virus in 1997... /... The survivors will abandon the surface of he planet... /... Once again the animals will rule the world... / - Excerpts from interview with clinically diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic, April 12, 1990 - Baltimore County Hospital." 

George 

• 1 month later...

Sorry I missed that.  I've been taking care of some personal stuff so I've been away.  I won't be checking in until the end of the week but I might read one or two posts now and then.

On 5/15/2020 at 7:48 PM, WordWolf said:

Um, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?"

Clearly, you haven't seen this movie before (OFOTCN) WordWolf.  :wave:

11 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

Sorry I missed that.  I've been taking care of some personal stuff so I've been away.  I won't be checking in until the end of the week but I might read one or two posts now and then.

Clearly, you haven't seen this movie before (OFOTCN) WordWolf.  :wave:

You'd be shocked at how often I guess at a movie- often correctly- having not seen it, or having seen a few clips.   

You wouldn't be shocked at how many of my wild swings have been clean misses.

• 3 weeks later...

"We've all become God's Madmen. All of us."

"I have crossed oceans of time to find you."

"Our ways are not your ways. And to you there shall be many strange things."

I... love you too much to condemn you."

"I'm no lunatic man. I'm a sane man fighting for his soul."

"Do you believe in destiny? That even the powers of time can be altered for a single purpose? That the luckiest man who walks upon this earth is the one who finds... True love?"

"Absinthe is the aphrodisiac of the self. The green fairy who lives in the absinthe wants your soul. But you are safe with me."