GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Flick

Raf

There is one word in one of the quotes that is such a Scream-It-From-The-Rooftops clue that I can't even tell you give you a hint about which word it is. ("Scream it from the rooftops" is not a hint).

14 hours ago, Raf said:

"Is this all real? Or is it just happening inside my head?"

"Of course it's happening inside your head... Why should that mean that it's not real?"

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2."   It's a memorable exchange towards the end of the series.  When I first heard it, I was reminded of a completely unrelated quote.

In DC Comics, they sometimes printed stories that were out-of-continuity, and announced at the beginning that it was an "imaginary story, which may never take place."  So, in response to a question as to whether a certain story was in canon - "Is this an imaginary story?"  Elliot S! Maggin  (I think it was him) said "Of course it's an imaginary story. Aren't they all?"

14 hours ago, Raf said:

"Is this all real? Or is it just happening inside my head?"

"Of course it's happening inside your head... Why should that mean that it's not real?"

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2."   It's a memorable exchange towards the end of the series.  When I first heard it, I was reminded of a completely unrelated quote.

In DC Comics, they sometimes printed stories that were out-of-continuity, and announced at the beginning that it was an "imaginary story, which may never take place."  So, in response to a question as to whether a certain story was in canon - "Is this an imaginary story?"  Elliot S! Maggin  (I think it was him) said "Of course it's an imaginary story. Aren't they all?"

8 hours ago, WordWolf said:

That was one of those "Duhhh!" things.  Of course, I suppose calling them "extra-canonical" back then, when the average reader was a "tween" (comics didn't cost $4+ back then), might have been a bit pompous.  :rolleyes:  There were dozens of "Superman marries Lois (or Lana)" stories in the Superman titles, and Alfred wrote several "Batman II and Robin II" stories (Batman II was grown up Dick Grayson; Robin II was Bruce Wayne's son.  The mother was never shown, but Robin's red hair might have implied Vicki Vale...)

So, trivia question:  what is the back story to Elliot Maggin's use of the exclamation point in his name?  :biglaugh:

George

"There is nothing more elusive than an obvious fact."

"Whatever he was working on, he obviously succeeded."

"How do you know?"

"Otherwise, he'd still be alive."

"Well, I may not have a choice, hm? After all, I may be paying the rent on my own, soon.  Thanks to you."

"Get that out of my face."

"It's not in your face, it's in my hand."

"Get what's in your hand out of my face."

"More importantly, let's see what he was trying to dispose of."

• 2 weeks later...

"How do you know?"

"Well, I may not have a choice, hm? After all, I may be paying the rent on my own, soon.  Thanks to you."

"Facts, gentlemen, facts. I cannot make bricks without straw."

"How do you know?"

"Facts, gentlemen, facts. I cannot make bricks without straw."

"Why are you always so suspicious?"      "Should I answer chronologically or alphabetically?"

"You know, in another life, you'd have made an excellent criminal."   "Yes, and you, sir, an excellent policeman."

"It's a matter of professional integrity! No girl wants to marry a doctor who can't tell if a man's dead or not!"

"Hey! It's me."

"Prove it!"

"You're a dick."

"Okay."

"He's not one of us. There's no way he's going to take orders."

"Give him an order worth following. He'll take it."

"Does it ever wake you in the middle of the night? The feeling that one day they will pass that foolish law or one just like it, and come for you? And your children?"

"It does, indeed."

George

"Hey! It's me."

"Prove it!"

"You're a dick."

"Okay."

"He's not one of us. There's no way he's going to take orders."

"Give him an order worth following. He'll take it."

"Does it ever wake you in the middle of the night? The feeling that one day they will pass that foolish law or one just like it, and come for you? And your children?"

"It does, indeed."

"You know, people like you are the reason I was afraid to go to school as a child.

"Magnificent, isn't she?"

"I've seen it."

"I first saw her in 1949. America was going to be the land of tolerance. Peace."

"Are you going to kill me?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Because there is no land of tolerance. There is no peace. Not here, or anywhere else. Whole families destroyed, simply because they were born different from those in power. Well, after tonight, the world's powerful will be just like us. ... Our cause will be theirs. Your sacrifice will mean our survival. l'll understand if that comes as small consolation."

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"

"What are you gonna do? Shoot us all?"

"No, Ace. Just you."

"This is my age! I'm in the prime of my youth, and I'll only be young once!"

"Yeah, but you're gonna be stupid for the rest of your life."

George