GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Flick

Raf

I must admit that I have never seen this movie, so I don't know what lines are iconic.  When the movie came out, all my friends said, "It really makes you think," which is the LAST thing I want to do when I watch a movie.  (Well, except for maybe figuring out a whodunnit.)

"I ain't no white trash piece of sh-t. I'm better than you all! I can out-learn you. I can out-read you. I can out-think you. And I can out-philosophize you. And I'm gonna outlast you. You think a couple whacks to my guts is gonna get me down? It's gonna take a hell of a lot more than that, Counselor, to prove you're better than me!"

"It's not necessary to lay a foul tongue on me my friend. I could get upset. Things could get out of hand. Then in self defense, I could do something to you that you would not like, right here."

"Are you my friend? Are you my friend?"

"No I'm not your friend."

"Well, see, I like to plan my comings and goings with friends, so if you're planning my comings and goings I'd call that presumptuous, in fact I'd call it downright rude."

George

No.  Earlier movie.

"I ain't no white trash piece of sh-t. I'm better than you all! I can out-learn you. I can out-read you. I can out-think you. And I can out-philosophize you. And I'm gonna outlast you. You think a couple whacks to my guts is gonna get me down? It's gonna take a hell of a lot more than that, Counselor, to prove you're better than me!"

"It's not necessary to lay a foul tongue on me my friend. I could get upset. Things could get out of hand. Then in self defense, I could do something to you that you would not like, right here."

"Are you my friend? Are you my friend?"

"No I'm not your friend."

"Well, see, I like to plan my comings and goings with friends, so if you're planning my comings and goings I'd call that presumptuous, in fact I'd call it downright rude."

"We never spoke about what happened, at least not to each other. Fear, I suppose, that to remember his name and what he did would mean letting him into our dreams. And me, I hardly dream about him anymore. Still, things won't ever be the way they were before he came. But that's alright because if you hang onto the past you die a little every day. And for myself, I know I'd rather live."

"If you hold on to the past, you die a little each day."

"'I am like God, and God like me. I am as large as God, He is as small as I. He cannot above me, nor I beneath Him be.' Silesius, 17th Century."

"Counselor! Come out, come out, wherever you are!"

George

Next movie.

"When you try to win sometimes, you lose sight of the goal."

"Mr. Stamphill, you are skating on very thin ice."   "Maybe your Honor, but I'd like to get to the other side."

"How do you think the Yankees will do against the Redskins this year?"     "The Yankees are a baseball team. The Redskins are a football team. Personally, I think the Redskins would kick the $h1t out of them."

Edited by WordWolf

"Mr. Stamphill, you are skating on very thin ice."   "Maybe your Honor, but I'd like to get to the other side."

"How do you think the Yankees will do against the Redskins this year?"     "The Yankees are a baseball team. The Redskins are a football team. Personally, I think the Redskins would kick the $h1t out of them."

"Mister Young, we have GOT to talk. Would you like a cigarette?"  "No thanks, that $h1t'll kill ya."

"I was wondering if I could talk to you, sir, about a continuance."   "No."   "You don't understand, sir, he just sits there. I can't even get him to speak."       "Well maybe he's practicing for the gas chamber. Tell him to take deep breaths."

Funny thing is, obviously a courtroom drama, but definitely not one I've seen.

Clearly it's about a first-degree murder, or we would not be talking about the death penalty.

My first guess is a TV show, but I don't know if anyone made a movie with the same name.

So guessing movies about murder trials I have not seen:

Primal Fear

?

"Mister Young, we have GOT to talk. Would you like a cigarette?"  "No thanks, that $h1t'll kill ya."

"I was wondering if I could talk to you, sir, about a continuance."   "No."   "You don't understand, sir, he just sits there. I can't even get him to speak."       "Well maybe he's practicing for the gas chamber. Tell him to take deep breaths."

"Now, if you escape, action: l lose my job... Reaction: l have a family that l will not be able to provide for! Now, knowing this information, can you tell me why you would possibly want to escape and jeopardize my family? l've done nothing to you but my job. And instead of letting you learn by breaking the rules, l feel l need to show you how to obey them. Tolerance. Tolerance for pain. My tolerance of you. But tolerance can be mistaken for kindness. And kindness can be mistaken for weakness. And we can't have weakness, can we, Henri? "

"I do not need YOU to tell me what is, or is not okay. In this court room, I am the one who decides what is, or is not okay. Okay? "

"Did you kill Rufus McCain?" "I was the weapon, but I ain't no killer. "

"Now, if you escape, action: l lose my job... Reaction: l have a family that l will not be able to provide for! Now, knowing this information, can you tell me why you would possibly want to escape and jeopardize my family? l've done nothing to you but my job. And instead of letting you learn by breaking the rules, l feel l need to show you how to obey them. Tolerance. Tolerance for pain. My tolerance of you. But tolerance can be mistaken for kindness. And kindness can be mistaken for weakness. And we can't have weakness, can we, Henri? "

"I do not need YOU to tell me what is, or is not okay. In this court room, I am the one who decides what is, or is not okay. Okay? "

"Did you kill Rufus McCain?" "I was the weapon, but I ain't no killer. "

"Action - I won. Reaction - you can't ever take that away from me."    "Take him to the hole."

On 6/1/2022 at 11:37 AM, Raf said:

Not The Verdict. The Juror. Trial by Jury (same movie different actors).

Is it Murder in the First with Christian Slater?

It IS "Murder in the First" (with Christian Slater and Kevin Bacon.)   I thought the "action" "reaction" thing was as close to a giveaway as the movie had, especially since it was repeated at the end.

34 minutes ago, Raf said:

Again, I had to go on "movies about murder I have not seen," so no clues would have helped. I had to stumble on it.

IIRC, I sat next to you in the theater when you saw this movie.   I generally don't choose crime dramas or courtroom dramas to watch.

4 hours ago, modcat5 said:

Either of us could be mistaken, but I'm going to stick with I never saw it.

Presumed innocent, we saw together. Still recall your amusement at Mr. Delay-Guardia

About a week after we saw "Presumed Innocent", "The Kids in the Hall" did that scene with the guy who claimed to be evil, with an evil assistant, man-servant Hecubus.   "Hecubus, have you seen "Presumed Innocent?"  "Yes, master. *gives away the real ending*  " "Hecubus!  I haven't seen that movie yet! Evil!"   We would have been SO cheesed if they'd given the real ending away BEFORE we saw it.

3 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Just for completeness, I did not see the movie, and I have not sat next to either of you at ANY movie.  :biglaugh:

George

No, but I'd bet money you've seen all the DC- Marvel movies, including "Howard the Duck", in the theater (except possibly during covid lockdowns.)

All the DC and Marvel movies which I've seen, I've seen in theaters (except the extended cut Justice League).  (Living in Texas, I had the opportunity to see films in theaters when it was still forbidden in many states.)

I have not seen all the DC and Marvel movies.

George

"Where to?"

"I'm the Angel of Death. Take me to hell."

"Got any luggage?"

"Don't think I feel sorry for you 'cause your daddy died. My father came back from the Korean War with his brains so scrambled, he thought he was Jesus! They put him in a nuthouse for five years, when he came out, he didn't think he was Jesus no more, he thought he was God. Which made me Jesus."

"You are a pitiful b****."

9 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I was thinking "Voyage of the Damned" from this dialogue, but that story predates the Korean War.  so, no.

George

I don't recall seeing any movie like that, or featuring dialogue with Charon, the Ferryman, etc.

That having been said, I can't shake the feeling I should know this one anyway.