GreaseSpot Cafe

The Pursuit of Happyness

Kit Sober

Sounds like quite a movie (I haven't seen it yet)

For Actor Will Smith, the Pursuit of Happyness is More than Just another Movie

"The tool that God has given me is my artistry. I feel I'm closer than I've ever been to doing something with that tool that will leave the world a better place."

Nathan Rock/CR (Dec 19th, 2006)

In the new movie Pursuit of Happyness, actor/singer Will Smith plays the role of Chris Gardner, a single dad who becomes homeless with his son, (played by Smith's own son Jaden) but decides to try to really make something of himself. The true-life drama by Sony topped the box office this past weekend raking-in 27 million dollars, but the real inspiration is the story's core.

"I was struck by the commitment that (Gardner) had to this idea of who he was, and what he wanted his life to be," remarked Smith in a press screening, UMNS reported. "He gambled everything. He put his trust in God, and in the face of homelessness and hunger he held onto that idea. That idea was food for him when he was hungry and shelter for him when he was homeless."

One of the turning points, both in the movie and in the real-life story, is when Gardner goes to a church for help and meets the Rev. Cecil Williams, (played by himself in the movie). Gardner declares that he is going to break the cycle of poverty in his life. He eventually goes on to work at a stock brokerage firm, and he and his son prevail over many adversities that come their way.

Will Smith shared his feelings about playing Gardner in the movie, "I feel that, spiritually, I did the right thing in making this movie. The tool that God has given me is my artistry. I feel I'm closer than I've ever been to doing something with that tool that will leave the world a better place."

Source: The Christian Post

• 4 weeks later...

My daughter and I saw this last night. What a humbling movie.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My 11 year old and I loved this movie! Then I bought and read the book and enjoyed it even more.

Will Smith and his son did fantastic jobs in their roles, I thought and it was one of those 'right there with them' movies for us.

I also did some research on the actual man this was written about and it gets even more fascinating. His story is such a great one and the portrayal in the movie is wonderful!

The real Chris Gardner appears as the man who walks past Chris and Christopher at the end of the movie

Actual homeless people were used in the film, and paid as extras

The homeless people who worked as extras were paid a full day's minimum wage (which is $8.62/hr in SF) and given free catered meals as compensation for appearing in the film. For some it was the first money they'd made in a while.

• 1 month later...