GreaseSpot Cafe

Rocky Balboa

Raf

I was out doing shopping and had gotten to that point -- do I want to continue shopping or set my hair on fire. And then I drove past the cinema and saw Rocky Balboa. A third option, let me take that.

In Rocky V, Rocky is portrayed as the original Rocky, but dumber. That never sat well with me, especially after the Rocky of II, III and IV. In Rocky Balboa, he has aged well. He runs a restaurant named Adrians and tells the patrons of his many fights and they want to take pics with him.

He is still mourning the loss of his wife and Pauly is Pauly.

I thought that Stallone did a great acting job in this movie and wasn't cheesy. He meets up with a female from the first movie (I won't spoil it, but it is clever) His son doesn't like living in his shadow. And he is called once again to the ring.

It was an enjoyable movie and a good send off for a classic character.

I'm one of the few people who did not hate Rocky 5. I mean, it was not a great movie by any stretch, but it was watchable and a lot more true to 1 and 2 than the fourth one was. Rocky 4 was a cartoon. I like the third one, too.

Haven't seen this last one yet, but I will...

Finally saw it today. I thought this was a very good movie, and yes, MUCH better than Rocky V.

There's a scene early on that brought tears to my eyes, the only truly unexpected lines in the whole movie. And they revealed a piece of a character you never thought you'd see revealed.

Definitely worth the price.

• 5 weeks later...

Saw this the other day. What a keeper. It was a nice movie to end things with. Very touching.