GreaseSpot Cafe

Kitchen secrets

Kit Sober

I learned this from someone who grew up in Guam -

When you cook Jasmine rice or any rice that you want to come out kind of sticky...

Put enough rice in the bottom of the pot so that it comes up to the first knuckle of your index finger, when you place your finger tip on the bottom of the pan. Add water to the pot and slosh the rice around. Strain out the water. Repeat this rinsing process a couple of times. Then, add water up to the second knuckle of your index finger. Place on the stove top and boil, then simmer.

Sticky rice!

(I love sticky rice!)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Of course we want to replace these items frequently but in between times put you kitchen sponge in the dishwaser regularly as well as your tooth brushes. I also heard the microwave oven is good for the sponge for 20 seconds.

I don't have an answer for the sponge question. But, for you coffee drinkers, I have something. :biglaugh:

This only applies to those who use paper filters. I've found, it is somewhat easier to pull a single filter from the BOTTOM of the stack, than trying to get one from the top. Of course, there will be times when you get a 'twofer', but less than if you try to get it from the top.

as far as dishes go

air dry them

i know this is not possible at all times but i think it is the best way to go.

thank God for dirty dishes

they have a tale to tell

while others are going hungry

we are eating very well!

I don't have an answer for the sponge question. But, for you coffee drinkers, I have something. :biglaugh:

This only applies to those who use paper filters. I've found, it is somewhat easier to pull a single filter from the BOTTOM of the stack, than trying to get one from the top. Of course, there will be times when you get a 'twofer', but less than if you try to get it from the top.

Keep a pencil eraser (like the kind you put on the top of the pencil AFTER the eraser is gone) in the stack of paper filters and it's easy to scoop the next filter off the top by stuffing the eraser on your pinky...

I change my dishcloth and dishtowel every day. I use SOS pads for the really tough spots and if I use a brush, I don't use it for long before I gross out on it and have to toss it away. I use a lot of paper towels.

• 1 month later...

Regarding stuff sticking to pans. While I do have snooty non-stick pans, most sticking occurs because the pan isn't HOT enough. A pan should be heated to the point where sprinkled water will dance on the surface. This indicates the pan is ready to be used.

You can also 'season' non-stick pans using the method described HERE! A lot of other good info there.

I don't like non-stick pans at all. My girls dance with a some kids who's dad is a bio-scientist. He says Teflon is nasty stuff. I have refused to us non-stick for twenty years.

I have a set of le Crueset that was given to me long ago. It is enameled cast iron. It works great. If I can afford to and the time arises that I need to replace some pans, I will buy this again.

Sushi,

Great website. Thanks. Hubby has his mom's cast iron skillet and I have a set that is probably 20 years old and they all could use seasoning. Now I can refer to that site WHEN I decide to start the task!!

He says Teflon is nasty stuff. I have refused to us non-stick for twenty years.

I agree, the snooty pans i have are hard anodized, not Teflon. Actually, they're not non stick, they're more low stick. You can still make a decent gravy with them as you get the crunchies needed for good gravy.