GreaseSpot Cafe

I believe in Christmas

hiway29

Just when I think miracles might not happen.

I haven't talked with one of my brothers for over 10 years.

I have 2 brothers. Geoff, who is married with 2 kids, and Curt, who we haven't heard from since my parents passed away in the mid 90's.

Curt was always troubled and angry as a youth and never really changed. He caused all kinds of grief , especially for my parents. After my mother died, I think he decided he didn't need to deal with any of this family junk anymore. He married a woman I only met once, but came from a broken home, and encouraged him to isolate from my brother and myself.

The last anyone heard from him was 11 years ago , when he showed up 4 hours late for dinner at Geoff's house, and his wife was angry that dinner wasn't still being served.

He moved to another part of the state and out of our lives. The last I heard he was divorced.

I get a call from Geoff today.

My niece Katie , who is 14 and doesn't remember Curt, went through all of the old family pictures sitting in the attic of her house, and put together wonderful scrapbooks for Curt and myself.

It was a labor of love and really touched me.

It obviously touched Curt too. he called Geoff, apologized, and asked if he could come over for Christmas.

Unfortunately, I'm in California and can't get to the east coast for Christmas, but will certainly be on the phone. We'll see what this all leads to.

Katie's act and gift of love, apparently worked in his heart. It's amazing what love can do.

Well, I just talked to Curt for the first time in 11 years. I can't say it wasn't awkward for both of us, but it was great to hear from him. He may even fly out to visit soon, which I think would be awesome.

I'm still thinking about how it felt and what it meant to speak to him. If this leads to a renewed connection for the 3 of us, it would be a wonderful thing. In a way, the 11 year exile may ultimately make for better relations than we've ever had.

I'm the youngest. Curt is 2 years older, and Geoff is 5 years older.

I was definately the 'baby' in the family growing up, and it took literally decades for that perception to change.

Curt was the middle, and from what I understand, had many of the typical 'middle child' problems-only more so.

Geoff was the 'perfect' oldest. Kind of an 'over achiever' who still kind of thinks he's 'in charge'.