GreaseSpot Cafe

Miracle Whip. Love it or hate it?

J0nny Ling0

Hell yeah, it has to be Hellmans!

Krys, your mayo cake gave me shuttering flashbacks of a desert my mother-in-law made once. It was basically jello, fruit and Miracle Whip. Nasty stuff! I didn't realise what it was until I tasted it and just about died on the spot.

My experience (and it seems the be the same here) is that those with less discerning taste, like my mother-in-law, will go either way. No offense, but MW is disgusting.

Mayo only, Hellmans is the best in the midwest, Best Foods on the West coast.

Okay, so I said I like Hellman's, and it is true. But when it comes to buying mayo on a regular basis, we buy Saffola brand mayonnaise. It doesn't have all of the bad stuff in it. It is not Vegan mayo, but it is healthier than your basic commercial mayo like Hellman's, Kraft, and the rest. Check it out:

http://www.saffola.com/mayo.htm

So Vegan, is the vegan mayo to your taste because of the no eggs in it?

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Great topic.

I grew up with Miracle Whip and didn't have mayo until I came to NY as a WOW in 1982. My wow family thought I was nuts that I never had mayo.

A few months ago I had a double coupon for miracle whip and it was on sale so I got it as it cost me almost nothing and so I gave it a shot for the first time in 23 years.

I liked it at first cuz it was a novelty from the past.

But after 2 sandwiches with the stuff I remember not ever liking it. It's nasty.

I will get Hellman's mayo (light) next time and won't ever look back.

Growing up, Dad would only allow Miracle Whip in our house.

I like both. It depends on what I am making as to which one I choose. If I am having a turkey sandwich made from leftover Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey, it ALWAYS has to be Miracle Whip. I like Miracle Whip with my fried egg or meatloaf sandwiches.

Any other kind of sandwich or burgers have to have Best Foods (aka Hellman's east of the Mississippi) mayonaise on them. I make tuna with mayo too.

As I said, I like mayo.

Although, everything in moderation. Right?

I went to Christmas dinner this evening and there on the table was this strange cranberry colored loaf slathered in mayo. It was some sort of beet and fish "salad" with mayo squeezed all over the top. Some sort of russian dish.

Needless to say I steered clear.

So Vegan, is the vegan mayo to your taste because of the no eggs in it?

Yeah, but in all honesty, vegan mayonaise was an aquired taste. When I was in my early 30's, I had a friend who used Nayonaise, and when I tried it, I hated it. But now, 15 years later, I think it tastes great.

IF I have to choose- it's mayo. Miracle Whip - its a miracle someone hasn't gotten whipped for making that stuff.

Now I like Hellman's, but I also have learned to make my own with olive oil, grapeseed oil, egg, salt, lemon, dry mustard, and white pepper.

It's not as much work as it seems to be at first - but it doesn't keep long so I usually only use the store bought stuff.

For the most part, I only use mayo in tuna salad - and I would rather not use it there - but the husband unit likes it.

I'm a bigger fan of lemon, oil, vinegar, or mustard- brown and spicy. I LOVE Chinese mustard. It makes me tear up and my sinuses get cleared out.

I'm really sick. I went through a year in college living on sandwiches consisting of oscar mayer salami and miracle whip, on wonder bread.

About 25 years later, I thought I'd see if you could go home again, and recreated the culinary masterpiece.

The salami was no worse than I remembered it, the wonder bread tasted like cardboard-but it was the Miracle Whip that really grossed me out.

I actually liked the stuff years ago, but couldn't stomach it now.

I still eat an occasional ham sandwich with mayonaisse-but that's another crime against nature.

jonny, you one crazy hombre......I read this and after all the depressing ones, I laughed so hard I peed my pants.

i like them both too. But when reaching for mayo, reach for the Hellman's or if you live on the west coast as I do now, best Foods, and reach for the best.....

You funny dude?

:redface2: I abused my power as family coordinator of a WOW family in 1985 over this very issue. As we met the next day after commissioning at the ROA and we gathered all our belongings together, I asked this very question and I let them know I wanted Hellman's. I told them if they wanted Miracle Whip, FINE, but both would be bought and there were to be no arguments against it.

I once had a Corps WOW Vet coordinator in Tennessee who banned all mayo/salad dressing/miracle whip from the house cause he couldn't stand it. We had egg salad mixed with mustard, the dang mayo Nazi that he was! :realmad: