GreaseSpot Cafe

Speaking of Personal Prophecy

Kevlar2000

"Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord." (Emphasis mine)

This is from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s speech the night before he was assassinated.

I wonder if God gave him some 'personal prophecy' about his imminent demise, and gave him a vision to bolster him, to give him strength to endure what was to come the next day.

Your thoughts?

Any one who has his ears next to the lips of God (and Martin Luther King, Jr was one of these), the Lord will tell him or her what they need to know to endure what's coming.

I remember years ago when I first read Jeremiah for myself, and the Lord told Jeremiah, "...And I will deliver thee out of the hand of the wicked, and I will redeem thee out of the hand of the terrible." and I laughed and thought Boy, if I was Jeremiah I would have asked, . . . Now just what is this that you are going to be delivering me out of? ? ?"

Now I know from experience that God's message of deliverance includes "Watch out! Trouble ahead!"

Likewise, God's message of comfort and condolences are for the sorrows and troubles that we cannot prevent, we can only pray them through and hope we can respond in a godly manner.

Keeping our ears tuned to the Lord allows us to know His viewpoint of things so the troubles of life that come upon us daily do not have to overtake us.

Coulda' just been revelation, too.....

Or maybe it was common sense - he had a tremendous command of he English language and he was surely aware of the fact that he was under surveillance by the FBI (I think - perhaps CIA)

Anyway, I'd just rather read the whole speech.

George and Tom,

I believe you're referring to the "I have a dream" speech, which was given on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in 1963.

The "I've been to the mountaintop" speech was given in Memphis on April 3, 1968, the day before he was assassinated.

Here's a Timeline of Events from LSU's website.

Doojable, for your (or anyone's) interest and perusal, here is a listing of some of his other speeches.

Thanks all for your comments.

Edited by Kevlar2000

Any one who has his ears next to the lips of God (and Martin Luther King, Jr was one of these), the Lord will tell him or her what they need to know to endure what's coming.

I remember years ago when I first read Jeremiah for myself, and the Lord told Jeremiah, "...And I will deliver thee out of the hand of the wicked, and I will redeem thee out of the hand of the terrible." and I laughed and thought Boy, if I was Jeremiah I would have asked, . . . Now just what is this that you are going to be delivering me out of? ? ?"

Now I know from experience that God's message of deliverance includes "Watch out! Trouble ahead!"

Likewise, God's message of comfort and condolences are for the sorrows and troubles that we cannot prevent, we can only pray them through and hope we can respond in a godly manner.

Keeping our ears tuned to the Lord allows us to know His viewpoint of things so the troubles of life that come upon us daily do not have to overtake us.

I think this needs repeating...often.

God takes care of us. He is personal. He never promised to prevent trouble, but to stay with us and give us peace and guidance through trouble.

To label this as 'personal prophecy' is kinda weird...ya know? Why does one need 'prophecy' when one has holy spirit and His constant, permanent presence?

What we have with the Father is called a walk...we are upon a path...one on which He has lit our feet...

If one is walking along a path in a public park and one sees a sign that says, "Bridge out ahead", is that personal prophecy? No! It's simply information that can be helpful, it's there for all to see, it's simple guidance.

So God puts up guideposts and we need to put a name on them other than what they are? IMO, that's how we get lost in dogma and trip over karma.

:spy::dance::confused::biglaugh::evildenk:

Could be--Who am I to say?

Or maybe it was common sense -

I know he had already been stabbed once-near to the point of death, and numerous threats had been made on his life -- Dont forget this was a black man, in the south, in the 60's.

It wasnt a stretch to say " I might not get there with you",

It was what he had to deal with in a very real way every day