GreaseSpot Cafe

"Blood Diamond"

Lori

Has anyone seen this movie, yet? It was very bloody, but I thought it was well done.

The storyline (without ruining if for those of you who haven't seen it yet) involves the harvesting of diamonds in Africa and all the turmoil associated with it.

It had a great story line, and a great ending.

Nothing. I don't know how it got posted under that category.

Haven't seen it and not really my kinda movie, but it has spawned a new term in the diamond industry, "conflict free diamonds" are what you'll soon be hearing about all the movie stars wearing.

BTW, "fake" stones aren't called that anymore either - they're called "created".

For a gal who isn't into jewelry at all, I know way more about it than I ever cared to.

This is a very good movie with an outstanding performance by Leonardo DeCaprio. Good movie, good story.

Belle, "conflict free diamonds" isn't a new term, this movie is about when that all came to the forefront...

The DeBeers and other big names in the diamond industry DID NOT want this movie made... and once it became evident that it was to be made, did everything they could to influence its content...

Oh. :huh: Well, I guess that just goes to show you how much I know about diamonds and that industry. :P I've only had two real diamonds in my life and both were heirloom diamonds given to me.

Thanks for setting me straight, Mr. Strange. :knuddel: I knew even less than I thought I did. :biglaugh: Maybe I'll go see the movie just to p1ss off DeBeers and the like.

Yeah... I don't buy them either... 'she who must be obeyed' has a nice large one on her finger, but it was passed down from her mother... I buy her those manmade ones... I forget the name but it's not CZ... that are much more brilliant than diamonds... but they're still pretty pricey... I've never liked the fact that the diamond market is so fake, so manipulated and controlled... the next diamond we own will be one we find in Arkansas probably...

BUT.. it's a very good movie... and when it was over I turned to 'she who must be obeyed' and said: "DiCaprio should win an oscar for this"... (of course, I said that about Will Smith's kid, too... after that movie)

We took our teenage kids to see it over the Christmas break. It is pretty bloody and violent, and was a bit hard to take, (for me) because of the reality factor. But the movie did spawn some great conversion with our kids about Africa, and the things that are happening there.

Definitely a fine movie, and like Lori said, the story was brilliant.