GreaseSpot Cafe

True Friends

skyrider

Yep. You know, martinpuke sent out these gestapo (at least I believe) with primary goal number one: break friendships. Not soon after this, he boasted on a sunday night service that people would have NO PLACE TO GO if they left der vey. And that was pretty close to the exact words he used..

He called those who left spiritual ORPHANS. Well, of course.. your "family" structure had been aniliated..

A couple of years before I got out, I got involved in a radio club- one of martinpukes dreaded civic organizations. I had a few friends, and a place to go, of sorts. I imagine a lot of other folks didn't.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the nineties progrssed, it was difficult to find any time for friends. For instance, we were supposed to listen to the SNS tape alone and with our spouse. Plus all the adv class grads had to prepare teachings on the way mag (selected articles)or tape every week. Three fellowships a week, branch meetings and adv clas grad study session, fellowship witnessing nights( not on fellowship night--that would be silly.) Oh, adn nonfun nights.

Yeah.. "we're not here to have fun.."

I've heard that enough times..

I've even heard that kind of sermon from an offshoot.

Hmmm.

I think T-Bone Walker had it right when he said

" Have fun while you can------------Fate's an awful thing."

---------(The T-Bone Shuffle)-------------------

Legalism ruled the day,Man the sure tried to kill the mystery.Life of course

is not one big party.We should have fun though!

With leadership,The no friends thing,I brought that subject up,If I am not

your friend how can you trust me?Jesus called those around him "my friends"

All I got out of it was"you are rebellous" Hell even one of the offshoots told me

that!I said you do not even know me!

It sucked to be in at that time,Fellowship became like a jail time,then you had to report back

on what you heard!So I just repeated what ole marty said and I was accepted,accepted yes,

happy hell no.

I was once told that the word "fun" wasn't in the Bible, so we weren't supposed to be focused on having a good time.

How's that for bondage?

That's the place I want to be - where fun isn't even mentioned!

Good times, good times...

Some modern translations call the gospel "good news."

I believe it.

Friends, a satisfied life, good food, good fun, good fellowship -- I think these all should be part of a normal Christian life.

(Watchman Nee called Christianity the Normal life that reflects God's normality. I really like that.)

In hope,

Waydale & GS - I've made several friends I've never met. I wouldn't know them if I walked by them on the street. I love them dearly and hope someday to see them face to face!

Hope

No argument of course, but can they be true friends? (ref the title of this thread)

In one case, someone who I thought was a "true friend" I met at "Waydale & GS" wound up a lot more distant after our first face to face meeting. Whoever's fault it was, it came down to a lack of trust.

Not to knock this place for that reason...maybe call it the fault of depending on cyber relations.

Not to knock this place for that reason...maybe call it the fault of depending on cyber relations.

I think that about says it all. I've seen people let people cross lines online that they ordinarily would not allow in person.

Then the face to face meeting can be a nightmare..

OK, I'm back. Been sitting on a jury all last week. What a trip, but that's another topic!

Thanks for all the warm welcomes.

I met my first best friend at Emporia--we were assigned to be in the same twig, and have been fast friends ever since. Even in the early 80's, we had long, deep discussions about things we saw that didn't add up.

When we graduated, she was assigned to the western edge of IL, and I, just outside of Chicago. After that first year, I changed my assignment and moved in with her and another believer. During that year, with great support from Joe Guar!n!, but great disdain from others, we stopped shoveling the ABS to HQ, and used it to support the local Fellowships (self-governing, self-supporting,etc.) The heat we got from the goons was the beginning of our exodus.

We still talk several times a week, get together when we can, and even our kids are good friends.

The second best friend is my hubby, who I met on my interim year. Lotsa folks had different choices for a wife for him, but he fought for "US". We just celebrated our 20th.

No argument of course, but can they be true friends? (ref the title of this thread)

In one case, someone who I thought was a "true friend" I met at "Waydale & GS" wound up a lot more distant after our first face to face meeting. Whoever's fault it was, it came down to a lack of trust.

Well, what can I tell ya...

I can name 3 women who I know only through Waydale and/or GS - 2 whom I've met face to face. The 3rd lady and I have never met, but we talk on the phone a couple of times a month. We know so many of the same people in TWI that we figured we must have stood in the same line for a Wowburger at least once! I consider them all dear friends.

I also believe that women are generally more open to friendship with other women and can relate to each other in a more personal way - without the need for a face to face relationship.

But, having said that, I do understand that many people are afraid to get close with a cyber-friend. Had these women and I not known the same people, but just never crossed each others paths, I might have been more reluctant to get close to them.

xoxo

Hope