GreaseSpot Cafe

Why the way corp, early years.

copenhagen

This question is for everyone, but if you did it why?

I have been looking at the 6th corp website by John Richardson and a few older threads

to see pics of old friends.

There were a lot of people in the way corp. It seemed like hundreds.

What was the attraction?

My Question is why?

Was it four years long like now?

I know it was a diffrent time in the 70's and 80's and mabye collage was not a big deal to get a high paying job?

Could you give up a few years in your mind and then do what you wanted and go to collage or

get a job?

Was it a feel good thing, making a diffrence in life, changing the world with the word?

Please do not take this question as picking on or judging any one for what they did.

I look at the old photos and there were so many people willing to give up there life for this program

and now I do not think they can graduate 10 way corp a year if that many.

I know the rules changed for the way corp and most are evil people now. What was the attraction long ago?

copenhagen

I didn't feel like I was giving up my life, TWI was my life. It was only natural that I would go into the Way Corps. I had no desire to go to college, work at a high paying job, or whatever else my friends did when they graduated from high school. My only desire was to go WOW, and then Way Corps. Eee! I was pretty way brained!

But I did everything because I thought this was how I was supposed to serve God.

But I did everything because I thought this was how I was supposed to serve God.

same here. my then-husband was convinced he had a calling to lead, and he was very popular. to be a good wife, I had to back him up. I thought I was serving God.

my life was just a long downhill slide once we went WOW, then even worse after entering and being kicked out of the corps program... but I kept trying to be "God's Best", until I just couldn't bear it anymore. by then I'd wasted about 15 years of my life. it was all pretty much a loss, until I told my now-ex I would no longer follow him around the country as he had no leadership ability and I would never go in the corps program again and suffer what I'd already suffered. it was the first stand I took against him, and especially guilt-ridden because of the teachings that once you promise something, you don't break it... saying I wouldn't go back in was like saying I welcome death. but, it was at that time that, when I took that stand, that I slowly started to dig out. it took years and was mostly a secret mission because I felt like God was not with me because I was disobedient to leadership, and disobedient to my now-ex-husband.

now I can happily say I didn't waste my time in-residence. apprentice year was a heavy enough burden, and the aftermath of getting kicked out was hell. anything more would have likely killed me.

I went in with myseestorEx for the same reasons she did... and walked away during my interim year... I loved the comraderie of (most) of the folks there with me and really have enjoyed re-connecting with some of them here... we were all so idealistic, I could be wrong but I don't remember it being all legalistic and "storm trooper-ish" when I was there but I "sensed" something that didn't allow me to be 100% into it anymore and I'd told myself that if I ever felt any doubts I'd get out...

I saw it as 'my life's service' and felt really alone for a lot of years following that (I don't know when Al Gore invented the internet, but it wasn't around then)...

I never did go corps --- but did do the University of Life trip.

I wanted to help others (like Tom and Ex said),

and figured (back then) that the best way to do so --

was to *learn an abundance of the Word*,

like the way corps were supposedly getting.

I'm REALLY lousy at following orders ---

so I didn't want the *regimented* lifestyle of the corps.

Looking back now -- it was the best decision I ever made -- to NOT go in. :)

Great topic

Most of us were young to young to think about what it would do to

the rest of our lives. It was sold as something completely different.

Like being your best for God. At best it was a re hash of all the already rerun

classes. A few things on folding ties. And a WHOLE LOT OF BRAINWASHING.

the vickster had it going on.

The times I think was a lot different.

I went because I thought it was a calling. I wanted to go corps so badly. To be a part of something (advertised) as so wonderful. To sit around and learn about God all day and be with people who prayed and wanted to move the Bible. To be able to HELP people... It was more important to me than money, a big house, a husband, a great job. It was everything to me.

I thought, "I" am going to be able to learn about "healing" and give answers to those that thirst. I would learn about Jesus Christ and better understand what he did for us. I thought I would become a better person and be able to help others...

Then, I got in and it was NOTHING like the big hype. It was lies and a bunch of goofey old farm men with Bibles asking young girls to remove thier pants.

"I" was wrong.

sorry, I should probably not have posted. I wasn't an "early" corps recruit.

Why not Potato? The original post said it was for everyone. Your post is fine. I'm sure many will appreciate you telling about your experiences.

Why can't I type?! Seems like I edit more than I post.

Edited by RumRunner

I agree with RumRunner.

but I kept trying to be "God's Best", until I just couldn't bear it anymore. by then I'd wasted about 15 years of my life. it was all pretty much a loss, until I told my now-ex I would no longer follow him around the country as he had no leadership ability and I would never go in the corps program again and suffer what I'd already suffered. it was the first stand I took against him, and especially guilt-ridden because of the teachings that once you promise something, you don't break it... saying I wouldn't go back in was like saying I welcome death. but, it was at that time that, when I took that stand, that I slowly started to dig out.

That's about as poignant as statement's get around here.

Never apologize for speaking the truth. :)

Potato-------I think your post was quite relevant. Motivation is really the essence. The exact year is only secondary(though many who went corps at about the same time seem to share common aspects of motivation.) I never went corps. I went Fellowlaborer for two years and then went back for a third year. (That's a pretty wacky story all in itself.) The reasons seem to be very similar, though I had hopes of returning to my hometown after graduation to serve there. Life takes some crazy turns. Thirty two years later and 150 miles away, I'm probably as close to being "back home" as I'll ever get.

thanks guys. I just realized maybe it was different in the early early years, but waysider is right. the motivations were probably the same through the years... now I think you'd have to be off your rocker to go in, but if I was still in and thought I was really living for God by giving my all to twi, I'm sure it would make sense to go in the corps even now.

scary thought, that.

I took Piffle in Feb "78 and entered the corp after ROA '79. I didn't have time to make it into any cliques or even to make any real enemies.

One day, about 3 months after that first class I was on a crew for a class. (Yes! You guessed it folks. I was in charge of REFRESHMENTS! LOL) Anyway, someone told me that if I really wanted to let the "Christ in me shine" then I needed to go into the corps. From that point on I was on that road that led to Emporia and the stench of the meatpacking plant.

I often wondered why TWI didn't make some sort of stink (pun intended) about how many spirits lived in that town and how oppressive the smell of death in the air was. Now I wonder if the leadership was even bothered by it at all......maybe it was like the smell of home to them.

The first large Corpse was the 6th in 1975 (VP pronounced it "sickth"). Prior to that, TWI could only take as many Corps as HQ's had beds. Then they bought Emporia..

The 1974-75 WOW year was the 4th Corps' interim year - the year of the first "Outreach Cities". 28 WOW's to a branch with a Corps branch leader in several major cities (can't recall how many). The WOW rovers were 4th Corps as well. These interim Corps were a real influence on the WOW's that year. I believe (and there are other Sickth Corps here at GS who might have a better memory than I do), that the majority of our Corps came from the WOW program that year. It was a case of exponential growth plus more bunk beds!

We started out with over 350 people in 1975. I recall LCM asking us how many of us had been in "the ministry" for more than 3 years. Only about 1/3 of us raised our hands. Most people had gotten witnessed to, taken PFAL and the Intermediate class, went WOW after the ROA 1974 and then went right into the Corpse. Many were not Advanced Class grads and took it for the first time the following May. We had a really young average age as well. I was all of 20 when I went in. I think Sue D. & Murphy P. were the youngest - straight out of High School for the most part.

I know why I went in - and it wasn't entirely altruistic. Sure, sure --- I wanted to help people and "move the word". But to be honest - I went in because it was the next step - the next rung on the TWI ladder. Lots of my closest friends were going in the Corps, so I wanted to go as well. I also wanted to play music and be part of Way Prod and figured that was the path I had to take to get there. After all, Joyful Noise was put together from musicians who went into the 4th Corps.

The only truly great thing I can say about the Corps is that I met some of my dearest friends there. I got to know people from all over the country and other parts of the world. I would never have met them had I not gone into the Corps program. (I also met some a$$#oles I never care to see again - but that can happen anywhere, I guess!). Seriously, I have friends who I still keep in touch with that I was fortunate enough to meet through TWI and the Way Corps. That alone was worth it.

Hope R.

PS John Richeson's site is a 7th Corps web site. We sickth corpse get no respect!

Edited by Hope R.

I was on staff for years before I went into the Corps..I was "supposed" to go in the 6th corps but I backed out. I actually had all the "uppers" of New Knoxville" as my sponsers( meaning the townspeople...the townspeople sponsered my Corps)..........but that's a diff story. Why the Corps? Thought it was a "step up."

This question is for everyone, but if you did it why?

I have been looking at the 6th corp website by John Richardson and a few older threads

to see pics of old friends.

There were a lot of people in the way corp. It seemed like hundreds.

What was the attraction?

My Question is why?

Was it four years long like now?

I know it was a diffrent time in the 70's and 80's and mabye collage was not a big deal to get a high paying job?

Could you give up a few years in your mind and then do what you wanted and go to collage or

get a job?

Was it a feel good thing, making a diffrence in life, changing the world with the word?

Please do not take this question as picking on or judging any one for what they did.

I look at the old photos and there were so many people willing to give up there life for this program

and now I do not think they can graduate 10 way corp a year if that many.

I know the rules changed for the way corp and most are evil people now. What was the attraction long ago?

copenhagen

Edited by sogwap51

I took the class in 75, went wow in 76, got married in 77, went into the 10th corps in 79 (I think)...

Like everybody else said, it was the next step...There was an illusion that going into the corps would make you "super spiritual" or something like that. When I went to Emporia, I discovered that there were a lot of people who were arse kissers and tree climbers...and I didn't like them much. I found myself hanging out with folks who were more low key and less interested in being "noticed".

Between the huge egos and the smell of the meat packing plant, I soon realized that it wasn't my thing...the only problem was that my now ex-wife was gung ho and loved every minute of it... :( . I would have left during my first year in residence if not for her...Ironically, during our interim year, she left me, the corps and the ministry (without warning)...her rich parents paid some deprogrammers and that was that...

Martindale blamed me for the whole thing ... :biglaugh:

I remained a twig leader until 1987 until the POP and then found the exit door for good...

In hindsight, I would have to say that there never were any "good old days"...It was a waste of time.

Why can't I type?! Seems like I edit more than I post.

Too much acid during the 70's ???

Edited by GrouchoMarxJr

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories they are great.

It appears that it was a love motovation for God and the next step of service.

I can releate to that just wanting to give your all for God an move the word.

Was it 4 years back then?

Potato your story was right on the mark you were doing what you thought was best for God.

Hope I beg your forgiveness to you and John for posting wrong about his 7th corp web site.

I knew a few people from the 7th and was on his site a little while ago and was amazed at all the people,

compared to now, that is how I started this thread. Nothing against the 6 corp.

copenhagen

Copenhagen -

No apology is needed - I was just kidding around...

To answer your question -- The 1st through 3rd Corps programs were 2 in residence years in a row at HQs. VP started the Interim year with the 4th Corps and those Outreach Cities in 1974. That's when it became a 3 year program.

There were about 80 5th Corps if my memory is correct - and they started off at HQs. TWI purchased Emporia in 1975 and many of the 5th Corps lived there getting the place fixed up for the 6th Corps which was the first Corps to be in residence in Emporia full time. We had no "elder" Corps - the 4th remained at HQs for their last year in-rez. We had LCM and Sunny S@^ders and a handful of 5th Corps who were assigned there on their interim year as our elders. :biglaugh:

I don't know exactly when the "apprentice" year started - but I'm sure it wasn't in place for the 6th or 7th - though it was strongly suggested that you went WOW or into a Fellowlaborers program before going in residence. I was actually kicked off the WOW field 6 months before I went in-rez! Just goes to show ya they'd take ANYONE back then :rolleyes:

Hope R.

PS: socks, 3cents, alfakat, Evan, or anyone with a better memory -- please feel free to correct my foggy facts!

Copenhagen, The Way Corps were suppossedly Wierwille's attempt to creat a seminary-type training, similar to most denominations but with a twist of military training(what seminary ever had its students all jogging at 7am every morning?). Likewise the Word over the World ambassadors was slick Vic's answer to Mormon missionaires. Boy, VPW was Elmer Gantry in the flesh.

I went into the 5th corps. When we applied it was a 2 year program. By the time we got accepted, it had changed to a 4 year program - 2 years in residence interspersed with 2 years on the field. The first year was not in residence (and it turned out we were already doing that year by the time we got accepted). Then the next year was in residence. Then the 3rd year was the interim year and the last year in residence.

I was in college when I applied. I actually took a leave of absence and got some credit for my 1st year in residence. I went to a college with weird requirements. Then on my interim corps year I went back and finished up college.

FYI the fifth corps was the first really big corps (about 75 people if I recall) when we went in and by the time we came out, they had bought Emporia and we were the last small corps.

As to why I went? At the time it seemed like the thing to do. There was no "requirement" that you had to do it to get ahead in the ministry but it seemed like the way to get the best training the quickest.

Looking back, I realize I had no idea what else I was going to do with my life. This was just another avenue for me to have someone else tell me how to live.

I'll try to fire up a brain cell or two hope - maybe this will add something. 4th Way Corps was a 2 year program to start. Things were happening quickly back then, on-the-fly, compared to later. The 3 year program started as a way to accomodate the numbers of people and a way to add some depth to the training and experience.

It wasn't a bad idea at that point really - a lot of the people coming in were very young, average age what - ? early 20's? Some weren't old enough to vote, or drink in some states. :) But the driver for it was the increase in numbers.

VPW and Howard Allen met with the 4th corps mid-winter our first year and talked about how to figure out the next couple years as there wasn't room for everyone - they suggested - the 4th would have the option to choose an "interim" year, if we wanted to take one - a field assignment. Then come back and finish the 3rd year. That way, they'd be able to start a 5th Corps at New Knoxville that year and have room.

I think - 8 people/4 couples, decided to take the option to stay and finish. That worked out well, as they could be there with the 5th when it started it's first year. The rest decided to go for the field assignment, and come back after a year to finish.

The whole thing was still getting tooled at that point - The 1st Corps had come in and started. Then the 2nd Corps came in the last year of the 1st corps' residence, and they'd worked together, the 1st corp getting the 2nd off and running. (literally - more on that...)

Same with the 2nd they finished their first year, then the 3rd came in their second year and got going.

The 4th came in the second year of the 3rd Corps and in our first year was when it became apparent that there wasn't going to be room for everyone doing it that way.

We'd known everyone from the First Corps on for the most part and had been keeping in touch with a lot of people, seeing how it was going, sponsored a couple. (we'd met a lot of folks travelling the year when the First corps started, in fact met Hope, Evan and quite a few people that year!) VPW had talked to me in California about the whole Way Productions idea, and I was interested. We were interested in going in the 3rd Corps, he suggested waiting and going in the 4th, as it looked like several people were coming in and there might be a fit. I had talked to Ted the summer before and he said it looked like that might happen. So it was a fit for me, and our plans. I was a musician, and was interested in the idea of how music fit into the outreach and expressing what I'd learned into music. I felt a committment as a Christian to try something and at that point the Way was a very exciting environment, somewhat stilted by it's location but the people were great.

- On the running - the whole "Running" deal got so overblown - the 1st Corps started running "to the Stop Sign" and back, from the BRC driveway down to Shelby/Auglaize Rd and back, less than a mile, loosely scheduled. Big woopdee doo, right? By the time the 4th Corps got it we were running every morning everyday at "5:45" a.m for a mile or more, running "around the block", running our heads off. :biglaugh: I actually came to enjoy it and ran quite a bit on my own for years. Eventually all that running on asphalt didn't do my lower legs any good though.

- On the accomodations - the 4th corps applicants got a letter in the spring of '73, year we were going in - Howard let everyone know that they weren't going to have room for everyone, housing was slim, so we were asked - to buy and bring our own mobile homes. Howard gave some details with more to follow, as to how we could hook up.

If that sounds bizarre - it was. But we got in touch with a couple we knew going in, Mike and Sally M and started making plans to split one. I contacted Howard as to what would be needed and by the time an answer came back they'd canned that idea and were putting in the "trailers". Through the whole Fall and Winter the new trailers were on flatbeds in the lot behind the EOB.

Edited by socks