GreaseSpot Cafe

Reading Comprehension 101

CoolWaters

Had this all typed up for the Open forum but realized it really belongs in this forum.

Hope I remember this correctly...

It was taught in piffle that the bible interprets itself in the verse, in the context and used before. It was also taught to understand the hard verse in light of the easy verse. Also taught in piffle was the whole add a word, delete a word stuff about Eve.

IMO, this wasn't revelation like it hadn't been seen since the first century church, but simple reading comprehension...like it should be taught no later than the 3rd grade.

All of this was done in twi to make people unable to see the forest for the trees. It is yet another perfectly good thing twi took and made bad.

However, just because twi twisted it all up for its own nefarious intentions doesn't mean that the thing itself is bad.

In fact, when I tutor students concerning reading comprehension, I borrow how things were explained in piffle to help students understand how to comprehend what they are reading.

Often the problems students have with reading comprehension are there because the students read something and then put their thoughts into the meaning as if that were what was written.

Take this sentence for example:

I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation.
Unless one recognizes exactly what this sentence is taken from, this is a quite an ambiguous sentence.

And this sentence:

In a sense we have come to our nation's capital to cash a check.

Again, unless one recognizes exactly what this sentence is taken from, this is quite an ambiguous sentence...and, dare I say, in this day and age it may even be a sentence to spark suspicion, hostility and explosive disagreements.