GreaseSpot Cafe

Dish vs. DirecTV

Belle

Do you use either one of these?

I had horrible customer service issues with DirecTV when I tried to get them to quit sending me a paper bill. It's a long story, but I got so peeved that I canceled my service and switched to Dish.

I've had Dish for all of 14 days and want my DirecTV back! The reception on the 2nd tv is pathetic and I've had to call their service line five times because of reception problems and "service error" screens. I never had a reception problem with DirecTV. Never had to call their customer service about a technical problem.

AND when you change a channel on DirecTV, it happens instantly. When you leave the tv off for any amount of time, you don't have to push the "select" button to get channel reception back on.

The Dish "real life" folks are nice and all, but dadgummit, I shouldn't be talking to them almost every night. :realmad: I'm so glad Survivor hasn't started, otherwise I'd really be really, really peeved. :CUSSING:

I had Dish Network several years back and changed to Direct TV about three years ago.

I like the DTV better as they have a couple of channels that aren't available on Dish Network that I like and the rates are a little better. Not much difference with customer service that I can tell, but I agree the reception (equipment?) is better with DTV.

I heard recently they were both owned by the same company, but I honestly don't know about that.

I had Dish before I had Direct... then I voted for Dish again.... sorry for the flipflop...

Seriously, I did have Dish first... for about 3 years. Then I had Directv for about 3 years.

Directv has SERIOUS customer service problems, and it ain't JUST about paper bills. It's about EVERYTHING.

They S U C K.

When I sold my house in June 2005, I bought a manufactured home outright (no mortgage) AND a 50" LCD (HD) TV.

Direct has (at least had then) FAR FEWER HD channels.

There were things I had to get used to when I changed back to Dish, but I am FAR happier now than I ever was with Direct.

I had a similar problem early on like you described Belle. It ended up being that the installer failed to properly AIM the DISH. That could very possibly be what you're experiencing. Once I got someone out here to check it out, they fixed it and I've not had any problems with it since.

ALSO, the TIVO works FAR BETTER with DISH than with Direct.

With Direct, it took time to fast forward through commercials. With DISH it's a snap... VERY quick.

When I called Direct to end service with them, they were so arrogant that they TOLD ME I would be back with them soon.

THAT was the height of hubris, from my perspective.

So, IF you have HD and/or TIVO (DVR) you'll probably be happier with DISH, once they fix your signal problem.

IF you do NOT have hd/tivo, I don't know whether you'd be happier with one or the other.

After reading Rocky's posts, I was reminded that your signal is only as good as the installer and the installers don't necessarily reflect on the company.

The guy that came and put my Direct TV in was from the same office that had installed my Dish Network many years earlier. They both use local contractors and in my area, there aren't a whole lot for them to choose from.

I don't have all that stuff Rocky was talking about...I have an old late 70's vintage Zenith that serves my purposes...Andrew has a newer RCA teevee up in his room. I bought it back in the early 90's.

After reading Rocky's posts, I was reminded that your signal is only as good as the installer and the installers don't necessarily reflect on the company.

The guy that came and put my Direct TV in was from the same office that had installed my Dish Network many years earlier. They both use local contractors and in my area, there aren't a whole lot for them to choose from.

Exactly... and if you, Belle, live in a rural area with low population density, that may be the case for you too.

If you live in/near a good size metropolitan area, there might be more techs available.

I'm pretty sure they both use local contractors. I have DirctTV and I've never really experienced bad customer service. Heck, I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to call them in the 6+ years I've had them. Only once was I not getting the answers I thought I should and escalated it right there on the phone and they took care of it.

I've visited the DTV forums a couple of times, apparently Murdoch has sold DTV and the new folks are promising "better everything" (don't they all? I had heard the same thing, that they were both owned by the same company and DTV was being phased out- that was over 6 years ago)... anyway, DTV doesn't do Tivo anymore and has their own DVR thing that some are tickled with and some are not... but the 'talk' is that the new company will re-unite with Tivo (I hope so as I like it mucho)...

The only problems I've ever really had is that sometimes I lose signal during heavy storms so I'd ask some folk in your local area what their experiences are like.... the lost signal is a downer, but I still prefer it above cable and they're getting ready to add some more HD channels as well... we have two Tivo receivers (one HD) and a regular receiver. There are forums that discuss the pros and cons as well so you might want to google and check them out as well.

I've visited the DTV forums a couple of times, apparently Murdoch has sold DTV and the new folks are promising "better everything" (don't they all? I had heard the same thing, that they were both owned by the same company and DTV was being phased out- that was over 6 years ago)... anyway, DTV doesn't do Tivo anymore and has their own DVR thing that some are tickled with and some are not... but the 'talk' is that the new company will re-unite with Tivo (I hope so as I like it mucho)...

Dish also has their own DVR... I was just using Tivo because it's a recognizable name for a DVR system.

The only problems I've ever really had is that sometimes I lose signal during heavy storms so I'd ask some folk in your local area what their experiences are like.... the lost signal is a downer, but I still prefer it above cable and they're getting ready to add some more HD channels as well... we have two Tivo receivers (one HD) and a regular receiver. There are forums that discuss the pros and cons as well so you might want to google and check them out as well.

I've had this happen with Dish AND Directv. Storms are infrequent here in the Phoenix area, so it's not a big deal to me. Plus, I have an antenna ON my dish so that I can get local HD networks over the air, in addition to whatever I get by satellite.

I'd like to have an HD DVR... but I understand they are very expensive (>$700.00).

I'm going to call today to have a technician come out to the house. I still have 15 days before I'm locked in for a year with them, so I'll give them one more shot. BUT, the satellite is in the exact same location as my DTV satellite and I never had any reception problems with it.

I didn't have a problem with DTV till I tried to quit getting a paper bill in the mail (see "Quirks" thread :biglaugh: ). The actual reception, technology, etc. wasn't the problem - it was the fact that they would not quit sending me a bill in the mail despite the fact that I am on their "auto pay" program.

I appreciate the input. :) Thank you. I kinda wish I had just bit my tongue and continued trying to quit the paper bill instead of all this inconvenience now. I don't use any bells & whistles - DVR or any of that. I don't see me having HD any time soon either. So, I really just want to be able to watch what I want to watch, when I want to watch it without having to deal with error messages every other day.

DirectTV kept sending me a guide in the mail, and then they would charge me something like $6 on my bill each month. I called their customer service and told them I didn't order it. They said I responded to an automatic choice on the phone???? I didn't. I wouldn't buy a TV Guide for $6 a month. I couldn't get anywhere with teh stupid people on customer service. I sent a scathing email. I finally got credited for the 3 months of $6 charges for the guide I never ordered. I also got HBO free one month.

I haven't had those kind of problems with DishNetwork.

I hope when I move somewhere else, I will be able to get Cox Cable. They had the best service IMHO.

By the way the industry is heading, we will all have to have HDTV in the next few years. It will be the "norm". Some cable and satellite providers may have a converter from HD to analog, but I wouldn't count on it if it costs too much money. They will just want you to buy a new TV.

Edited by Nottawayfer

belle

we have had direct for about 3 years and not a lick of problems with them

and we get local channels which you can't get with dish

paper billing yes but i can deal with that

I don't know what local area stations you are needing, but it's my understanding that you CAN get local channels just about everywhere in the US with DISH... as I do.

I'm going to call today to have a technician come out to the house. I still have 15 days before I'm locked in for a year with them, so I'll give them one more shot. BUT, the satellite is in the exact same location as my DTV satellite and I never had any reception problems with it.

Do you mean that your sat DISH is in the same location? Because the satellite (orbiting the earth) may not be in the same area. There are a couple of other equipment possibilities... but you should be able to get a tech (ask them to send out a technician supervisor, and you are likely to get the best one(s) they have) to figure it out fairly easily once they get out there.

I hope when I move somewhere else, I will be able to get Cox Cable. They had the best service IMHO.

AAACCKK! I had Cox Cable before either Dish or Direct. I absolutely hated them... they were by far the worst.

AND... ANY company that points to how well they did in customer service ACCORDING TO J D POWER & Associates... IS LYING.

JDPower and Associates is a company that other companies can PAY to get them to say how well they do. IMNSHO, a TOTAL fraud. There's background to my opinion, but I won't go into it here.

By the way the industry is heading, we will all have to have HDTV in the next few years. It will be the "norm". Some cable and satellite providers may have a converter from HD to analog, but I wouldn't count on it if it costs too much money. They will just want you to buy a new TV.

It's my understanding that soon all broadcast channels with have to be broadcasting in DIGITAL format... which supports HD (1080i) and Enhanced Definition (780i) which are both digital formats. I don't know the date.

Funny you bring this up, I was just researching it 2 months ago...............................

before I decided to cancel cable and go with an antenna!!!!!!

Man, I hated paying $55 a month, for hardly any TV watchin....

Now we have 5 local channels (Fox of course, CBS, NBC, ABC, CW)

and 2 ESPANOL channels....................

After the research I did, IF we go with anything in the future, it will be Dish. They had better prices, and, with an antenna, you don't have to pay the extra $5 bucks a month for local channels.

(check on that Belle, save yourself some moola.)

And I have a Dish Network satellite sitting in my garage.........when I called a guy from the paper offering ''CASH ON THE SPOT" for them, I called him (today) and he would give me $10.

How nice of him. <_<

When I asked him what he does with them, he said " I sell them to people who need them (for installs)".

I'll hold onto it , thanks.

For now, as long as I have Fox, for my 24 of course, we are fine...........................................................till summer.

Belle.....I have had Direct , Dish, Cable and once an antenna that I had to climb the hill and sycamore tree behind my house to turn when I changed channels. I prefer Dish over them all. From the sound of your troubles its probably a simple thing to fix. The guy that installed it should be able to fix things. I had Dish for over six months when I happened to open the instruction manual and realize I could program the remote that came with it to operate my tv . I had been using the tv remote to turn the tv on and off and the dish remote to change channels. After following the simple steps outlined in the instructional manual I now only use one remote.

I wish you the best of luck and Happy Viewing. Nascar Season starts soon!!!