GreaseSpot Cafe

Kid Friendly Foods

ChasUFarley

I'm getting stumped at dinner time and need some ideas.

Here's the dilemma:

Kristopher, my 5 year old, will eat a lot of things but not spaghetti, eggs, green beans, or anything spicy.

Andreas, my (almost 2 year old!), will ONLY eat pancakes, mac-n-cheese, baby food in a jar, toast, bananas, sausage, hot dogs, crackers, and that's about it... There's not many foods he'll eat but boy, can he eat those on the list!

I'd like some simply, kid-friendly foods that I can make for the whole family that we can try.

:wink2:

Okay-- my kids were so picky--they didn't pizza until they found out ninja turtles ate it..(dates them huh)

Here is a list that were fail safes

Grilled Cheese

Hot dogs

egg burritos ( I eventually got them to eat wholw wheat tortillas--but it did not start that way)

chicken nuggets

chicken tenders (mini version of chicken parmesan and variations)

mashed potatoes

roasted potatoes

Baked potatoes with out the skin showing (god forbid)

french fries (baked)

pancakes with various breakfast meat --they did not eat sausage until over 8)

French toast

quesadillas with cheddar usually n( they ate a lot of these)

Tacos with just meat and cheese

fish sticks

Salmon...(yes they actually liked it)

Pasta with Butter and Parmesan...one kid would be willing to eat the spinach pasta

a lot of MILK

a lot of Orange and Apple Juice (no corn syrup kind)

Edited by washingtonweather

French toast can be done so many ways you can serve it a couple times a week and nobody seems to complain.

I like it with fresh strawberries when in season, or with any kind of jam (and butter), most syrups.

Some even sprinkle powdered sugar over it after they butter it.

Of course, French toast goes great with sausage or bacon, eggs of any kind - can be a supper or a breakfast meal.

I always made cheddar cheese quesadillas too - altho I love grilled cheese cooked properly and taught both my kids to make them just so, I usually fix a quesadilla when I'm thinking fast food at home.

Grilled cheese (or quesadilla) and tomato soup is something I've seen eaten in almost every home I've seen eating done in.

I also make a cold tuna pasta salad with chunks of cheese (not grated) and leave diced raw onions on the side for those who prefer it that way. I put large chunks of celery in there too, large so pickier eaters can easily remove them from what they're going to eat.

My rule has always been that if the kid tries something I put in front of them, honestly tries one bite and then decides they don't like it, then AS LONG as they don't complain about it, I don't make them eat it. I've never had to make a kid eat something they decided they don't like, but it's come close with the princess a time or two. She's more complainy than most kids I've fed.

I have found that kids have that built in desire to survive that won't really allow them to starve to death, even if they threaten to.

Check out kraftfoods.com . Click on the picture that says food and family.S ign up and get a free magizine each month with great recipes for those younsters. You will all have fun eating.

bona petite.

When my kids were younger, they didn't like to eat veggies or anything 'new' at the dinner table... they did however like to do what Mom was doing, and would ask to join in, whatever the task I was involved with...

This gave me the idea.... Made a large bowl of salad w/ raw veggies, sat down on the floor while some movie was on... they each gathered, wanting to have some too~

Since that point they've each loved raw veggies.

Sometimes I'll put a platter of cut up veggies out while preparing foods... they seem to love to pick at it before the meal... fruits too!

my kids hate veggies with the exception of corn.

All those "magazine tricks" never worked with my kids

and god forbid anythting should touch anything else...and it can't look messy.

Baby #2 ate tuna salad as a 1 year old...but one touch it now---messy looking.

Oh yeah--- My kids won't touch soup of any kind either---dont feel alone Chas

#1son is now 6' tall and size 14 shoe.

#1daughter is tallest in 5th grade and strong as an ox

Edited by washingtonweather

• 4 weeks later...

Our son will eat anything! but our DD is only 4 and she doesn't eat as well (yet):

chicken nuggets ( I keep the frozen chicken bites in the fridge)

mac n cheese

grilled cheese

corn

green peas

PB & J cut in heart, stars or other fun shapes

grape tomatoes, baby carrots to dip in to ranch or 1000 island (kids love to dip)

goldfish

as far as spaghetti, try sprinkling sugar on it.

Edited by mommy1968

• 5 months later...

hotdogoctopus4.jpg

The main thing with kids is KEEP IT FUN! Like this hot dog is now an octopus.

I've purchased cheese stars with grapes and had a "sand bucket" -- a clear plastic cup where we walked along the beach and collected food (in our imagination)

Have them make their own peanut butter and jelly -- kids love to participate and will be more likely to eat what they make.

Cutting sandwiches into hearts or shapes helps too

There are "lady bug" pizzas (biscuits pressed down with pizza sauce, cheese and topping)

Ants on a log (celery with cream cheese or peanut butter and raisons)

Sail boats -- bread, croissant with tuna salad, chicken salad, and carrots stuck on top (or another veggie)

Call broccoli trees , not veggies

Tell a story with dinner -- "One day the princess was walking through the trees (broccoli), and stumbled upon some pebbles (black eyed peas) - these pebbles were unusual --- etc.

As a picky eater myself my grandmother got me straight. I had to eat a little bit of everthing and then I was rewarded with what I wanted (brown sugar) - LOL.

I'm sure I have many more ideas if you're interested.