GreaseSpot Cafe

pot and TWI

nandon

I heard a story...

about VPW...

When he was visiting the hippies in San Francisco--

he would be teaching, the hippis would be in a circle.. and they'd be passing a joint around the circle while he taught--

and he didn't mind--because he wasn't there to judge, but to teach God's word...

is this true, or is it just an old TWI fable...

was there a lot of pot smoking in TWI in the 70's? or did TWI pretty much frown on it?

I think it depended on where you lived. You know how those Californians were in the 70s. :dance:

I stopped smoking pot when I got into twi. I was shocked years later, when my roommate (a California girl) told me she took PFAL so that she could "finally sit in the back rows and smoke pot like the other grads."

In my neck of the Way-world woods, smoking pot or doing any drugs was a no-no.

I took PFAL in Cleveland in the early 70's.

Any type of drug usage was strictly taboo as were the kinds of sexual escapades that were to follow in later years. In Fellowlaborers(also '70's), we were not even permitted to keep any type of alcoholic beverages in our apartments. Of course, there were people who broke the rules and when caught were ejected from the program. There was a lot of peer pressure to conform to the rules. If someone in your "house"(6 per apartment) was breaking rules, you were expected to take corrective action lest you also be found guilty by virtue of association. Most of us had very little extra money for anything other than the basics so a pack of smokes was considered a big luxury. It is mind boggling to think how some things turned completely around and went in the opposite direction.

Edited by waysider

I can't say I experienced smoking pot while in the ministry. I was in from 1978-2004. I heard of pockets of believers who did. I think alot of us smoked plenty of it before we got involved. I know I did.

I saw people smoking pot at both ROA 1983 and 1984. The one in 1984 was in the back of the area I think in the Cathedral of the Woods where kids were acting in a play. VPW was at the same showing of the play I attended at the 1984 ROA. It's not like the pot smoking was being hid in any way.

Linda,

Re:"was shocked years later, when my roommate (a California girl) told me she took PFAL so that she could "finally sit in the back rows and smoke pot like the other grads." In my neck of the Way-world woods, smoking pot or doing any drugs was a no-no."

That was my experience as well. I had witnessed to my brother who was in the Air Force back in about '79. He went to a fellowship in Shreveport, LA where he was stationed and told me that all the TWI'ers were pot heads. I couldn't believe it. But... looks like 'twas so.

sudo

I can't say I experienced smoking pot while in the ministry. I was in from 1978-2004. I heard of pockets of believers who did. I think alot of us smoked plenty of it before we got involved. I know I did.

Now that would be a fun get together - bunch of 70's wayfers sitting around and sparking off

We knew a little hippie couple who wer TC and ran classes in a southeastern Ohio college town. In about 1989 we visited Ohio and saw them. They told us about what a great class they had just run; the students all went out on break and disappeared for 20 minutes. They knew these kids were smoking pot and the only thing they said, was "Well! At least you could have invited us to join you!"

WG

At a ROA I meet a man that worked on staff and claimed to be one of the original hippies that came to HQ for summer camp and stayed. Great guy, he reported that they did smoke pot during the live taught PFAL class. Then he said once at HQ he and a girl were toking up by the river Jordan and VP came walking up. VP took a puff shook his head and walked off saying he got high off of God.

But here is another TWI legend I never got to prove, but it was said Vince F and his WOW family in Kentucky chose part time jobs to be dealing dope. Brenda M*ll*ns was some of their fruit and it was claimed she backed the story. Never confirmed it.

At a ROA I meet a man that worked on staff and claimed to be one of the original hippies that came to HQ for summer camp and stayed. Great guy, he reported that they did smoke pot during the live taught PFAL class.

But here is another TWI legend I never got to prove, but it was said Vince F and his WOW family in Kentucky chose part time jobs to be dealing dope. Brenda M*ll*ns was some of their fruit and it was claimed she backed the story. Never confirmed it.

Dope during live piffle ... WOW ... got to keep the customer satisfied ... I guess

it would be way cool to get the vince story verified ... dealin' for the lord .... lordy pete! VP had to work with vince to get him comfortable "dealing" with a group ... LOL no wonder, he was used to working in an alley, too many people lookin' at him made him paranoid?

oh, and my mid 70's twig guru got "my friend" to quit smokin, and he never went back. Except for 20 years later when he tested and learned how much stronger the new stuff is. :)

Edited by rhino

I have to admit I was a Wayfer Pothead from 75-82. Then got married and it wasn't as important.

Do like the smell if I run across it though.

• Upvote 1

I took the class in December of "69 in Mill Valley, Ca. Jimmy Doop ran the class.

We never smoked pot at any time during the class, although we did smoke at home before the class.

We never smoked at twig, although we did in social situations.

There are a lot of "urban legends" out there, just be sure of the source before you believe it all!

We always made sure that we never smoked around new people, and only smoked with people who already smoked before they got in the Word.

It was never a common thing in our area to have "pot smoking" classes or fellowships.

Maybe we were the exception, but I don't think so.

Edited by Priscilla

I smoked plenty before I was witnessed to, even the night I was witnessed to... went to twig one time and never smoked again... it was the the old cliche that "whatever hole I was trying to fill was filled"... I know, sounds corny, but it's true... no one ever had to tell us not to get high... we just didn't any more...

Well, I for one, am very upset!! There were nothing but prudes in my area!

Sheesh.......

Belle, :cryhug_1_:

I can relate. It seems to me that everyone I was in contact with were pretty prudish also.

However it would be 6 months after I took PFAL before I finally gave up pot all together.

Chuck

• 3 years later...