GreaseSpot Cafe

Trojan

CWF

I don't know how this stuff gets by Norton Security but it does. Sometimes I think they invent the stuff just so I have to keep upgrading. Anyway I got infected by 2. One Called td.exe and the other tdd.exe. Norton slammed the door on them only after they did something. Now my R/W drive doesn't work, says it's not ready, yet everything says it's working properly, and when I click some program icons, Windows installer wants me to reinstall Office. The icon isn't related to Office

Is there anyway of getting around a full recovery?

CWF

It infected system restore, so I couldn't restore it to an earlier registry.

Talked to the guys at HP in New Deli Sandwich and it was as if they were reading a fix from a card prompt. Man they are hard to understand. Anyway in order to fix my problem I may have to save everything for a year, and reformat. If that doesn't fix the problem, HP will install a new R/W drive. It's still under warranty.

Edited by CWF

• 3 weeks later...

cman

Thanks for the input.

I have run all diagnostics and can't find the problem, so I'm just about done saving eveything of the hard drive. If restoring back to factory doesn't do the trick, it's of to HP. One question I have. Can I save all the Sevice Patches, and where would I find them. I think they are all in the Windows folder. Or should I just let the Microsoft Sight upgrade them?

Thanks

I've reasearched what that might be and its adware...

Here's the removal instructions:

The following instructions pertain to all Symantec antivirus products that support Security Risk detection.

Update the definitions.

Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Adware.IEDriver.

Delete the values that were added to the registry.

Reset the Internet Explorer Search page.

For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.

1. Updating the definitions

To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.

2. Scanning for and deleting the files

Start your Symantec antivirus program and run a full system scan.

If any files are detected as Adware.IEDriver, click Delete.

PS - Norton is a historian - it finds stuff AFTER you've got it on your computer. Try McAfee - I used to run both on my PC and really liked the McAfee...

2. Scanning for and deleting the files

Start your Symantec antivirus program and run a full system scan.

If any files are detected as Adware.IEDriver, click Delete.

PS - Norton is a historian - it finds stuff AFTER you've got it on your computer. Try McAfee - I used to run both on my PC and really liked the McAfee...

I looked up the same instructions as Chas before I saw this post. Found the same thing. I'd also heartily recommend NOD32 Antivirus. I use it everywhere.

Unfortunately, it cannot stop my hair from invading my laptop! (But that's ok, as I'm putting PurpleCow on retainer!)

Thank you all.

I followed all the instructions from Norton, and still can't run the DVD R/W. So I must restore before HP will look at the drive. I'll give NOD32 a try after the restore.

Have you uninstalled and re-installed the driver for the DVD R/W?

That would be a good place to begin on this... this seems like a boat load of trouble for a little adware....

Reinstalled the drivers many time to no avail.

Here's the drives symptoms.

Insert DVD or CD.

The light that I can see in the bay comes on for 3-4 seconds.

No auto play though it's turned on, and all other drives respond.

Say, I use NeroShowtime or Media Player.

Click to open movie.

Click appropriate drive letter.

2-3 seconds, Nero or Media Player says drive not ready.

All other programs respond in this manner, drive not ready.

I checked my BIOS and it's there.

Checked Device Manager and it's there with no issues.

It's recognized by Windows.

Click drive icon in My Computer.

Folder opens saying there's nothing there, even though I inserted a DVD or a CD.

Did scan disc, defragmenter, PC doctor, and the like.

PC Doctor says the same thing, drive is not ready.

Ready for what?

To Work?

Sheeesh............

I think the virus was coincidental.

If it's a corrupted system, Norton, Adware, Spybot, and Spyware Blaster has no knowledge of it, even in Safe Mode.

Even reinstalled Prevxl, another Norton type program that caught something awhile back.

So it's off to full system restore.

HP won't look at the PC until I restore it to factory.

Thank God I have another SCSI hard drive to copy files to.

I'm going to see if the drive works from a bootable disc.

I have a copy of pclinux -bigdaddy that boots and operates from a CD.

If the drive doesn't work from a boot, I think I'm safe to say the drive is dysfunctional.

What say ye?

Called HP again today and ran over everything once again.

I tried to boot into Bigdaddy Linux this morning and the drive ignored it and booted into Windows.

It's safe to say the drive is a gone.

I asked them why I should do a factory restore, since the drive is plug and play. and they said it's policy, otherwise

they can send me a new drive without the restore if I give them my credit card #.

Still under warrenty.

Strange goin on's at HP.

HP techs are very polite, but hard to understand, and for sure visa versa. The credit card thing is only if I don't restore to factory settings. I wanted around this loophole because it takes so long to get the PC the way ya like it. So I'll restore, get the drive, and install. I bought it at Sams Club in a bundle deal. Can't build one as cheep. Also I bought an extended warranty from Sams for 3 years, which will allow my kids to have it under warranty. I trade up every 3 years, and give one to my kids.

So I have 2 years left on this PC, and maybe by then they'll have all the bugs worked out of Vista.

Thanks all for you help and support,

God Bless,

CWF

HP techs are very polite, but hard to understand, and for sure visa versa. The credit card thing is only if I don't restore to factory settings. I wanted around this loophole because it takes so long to get the PC the way ya like it. So I'll restore, get the drive, and install. I bought it at Sams Club in a bundle deal. Can't build one as cheep. Also I bought an extended warranty from Sams for 3 years, which will allow my kids to have it under warranty. I trade up every 3 years, and give one to my kids.

So I have 2 years left on this PC, and maybe by then they'll have all the bugs worked out of Vista.

Thanks all for you help and support,

God Bless,

CWF

*hugs* CWF...really hope that goes well!

~QT

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Sounds like you've bee around the puddle more than once with the HP guys trying to get everything taken care of.

As for Antivirus programs, Norton is good but in my opinion leaves a lot to be desired. Especially when it comes to the vicious trojans and viruses that are running around.

A friend of mine that was a manager for a local Radio Shack in the town just south of where I live used to run Norton Antivirus, untill his computer started slowing down to a crawl. A friend of his told him that a virus or trojan probably got by Norton. My friend's friend suggested a free program called 'AntiVir', you can go to freeantivirus.com and scroll down to where they have AVG and the other free antivirus programs and click on the link.

My friend downloaded 'AntiVir' and did the update. Then ran the program. He had to uninstall Norton as AntiVir and Norton are not very compatable together. BUT, he did get rid of 3 trojans and 2 viruses that Norton didn't even know was there. Thats the antivirus program I'm running now on my computer.

AntiVir is a free german program and works really neet too. When you encounter a virus or trojan that is in it's data list it gives you an audable tone and a list of what you want to do with the 'little bugger' as i call it. I always tell it to delete the virus or trojan. That way it's not on the computer anymore.

Maybe some of the other people can help with other suggestions for a good antivirus program as well.

Take care and i hope you're able to get your computer taken care of soon.