GreaseSpot Cafe

Artichoke Hearts

VeganXTC

Here's mine, because its from my daughter, and because it tastes soooooo good!

B's Pasta with Artichoke Hearts and Spinach

ingredients:

1 lb penne pasta

2 T olive oil

2 T margarine

4 garlic colves, finely chopped

2 small onions, thinly sliced

1 1/2 lbs mushrooms (any variety) *we sliced them

2 T fresh thyme, chopped *we used dried, only a bit less

salt

pepper

3 T flour

1/2 C dry white wine *we didn't feel like buying any for this, it still was good

1 C vegetable stock

1/2 C cream or half-and-half (i was thinking mom's sour cream?) Tofutti Sour Supreme

1 15-oz can quartered artichoke hearts, drained well

10-oz frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and wrung dry

1/4 t ground nutmeg

1/2 C parmesian cheese substitute

Cook the noodles al dente and defrost spinach. In skillet melt butter and olive oil. Add garlic and onions for 30 seconds, then add mushrooms and thyme. Cook until mushrooms are brown. Then add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and cook for 1-2 minutes. Whisk the wine in and cook it off for a minute, then wisk in stock. Thicken for a minute and then add cream. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Stir sauce, penne, artichoke hearts, spinach, nutmeg, and cheese together.

I had a relatively long-term assignment in France for a while. My landlady made artichokes this way...I have had great success with her recipe, and while I think it's much better (taste-wise) to use fresh artichokes and make your boullion, I have made it with frozen artichoke hearts (retrimmed the leaves) and canned boullion. (Apologies to Sushi...as it has mushrooms)

Artichokes and Mushrooms

Ingrediants:

• 2 1/2 dozen baby artichokes, smaller the better
  • 2 onions
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 3/4 pound Mushrooms
  • 2 T Olive oil
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 C boullion
  • 1/4 pound prosciutto
  • 1 T chopped, fresh parsley
  • 1/2 T Butter

Cut the stems of the artichokes and trim the leaves until you're left with the little hearts, about 3/4 of an inch wide. Cut about a 1/2 inch off the top and cut the hearts lengthwise in half. Soak them in the lemon water (Add the juice of 1 lemon to enough water to cover the artichokes).

Bring water to a boil, blanch artichokes for five minutes.

While you're doing that, chop the onions and garlic. Clean the mushrooms with a cloth (really clean them if you pick your own), and cut into 1/4 inch slices.

Heat the olive oil in the skillet, saute the onions and garlic until translucent. Add mushrooms, salt, pepper (to taste) and lemon juice. Saute over high heat for a couple of minutes, then, reduce heat, cover and let the mushrooms lose their juice.

Add the blanched mushrooms and the boullion. Simmer together, uncovered, until the artichokes are tender. I use the classic skewer test to check for doneness at pretty regular intervals.

Finally, add the prosciutto, cut into cubes. Mix well and then turn off the heat, to let them steep together to blend the flavors (this really kicks it on the second day). Reheat well, add the butter. Add salt only if needed. Add a little pepper and some chopped parsley.

I find this is delightful with chicken, but is best with a dark bird like pheasant...and is nice with veal or ham, too.

This guy, Artie, gets tired of working

so hard and not getting anywhere, and

seeing all these guys in the Mafia in

their fine three piece suits and fancy

cars, decides that he has to join the

Mafia.

He goes up to one of the guys and says,

"I want to join the Mafia."

The guy answers, " You ever kill any one

for money?"

Artie answers, "No."

The guy says, " Well, you either got to

be born into the mafia, or you gotta

kill somebody for money."

So Artie says, " How much will you

pay me?"

The guy says, " I'm not gonna pay you."

Artie says, " C'mon, just pay me a

dollar so I can get in."

The guy says, " Okay, I'll tell you

what. You kill somebody, tell me about

it, and if I see it in the morning

paper, I'll pay you a dollar."

Artie says, " Oh thank you, thank

you!" and heads off on his mission.

He goes to Safeway Supermarket, sees an

old lady pushing a cart, and decides

that she's lived a full life, goes up

to her, grabs her round the neck and

chokes her to death.

The bag boy sees him, and chases after

him. Artie realizes that he can't out

run the bag boy, turns around, grabs

the bag boy by the neck and chokes

him to death.

In the morning paper the headlines

read, " ARTIE CHOKES TWO FOR A DOLLAR

AT SAFEWAY"

sudo

• 5 months later...

Haha, that was a funny / cute joke.

If I buy a whole - fresh artichoke I boil it (I believe it's like 20 min. - have to double check) Then eat the pieces (you just slide the piece through your teeth) dipped in melted butter with spices and some people like it dipped in mayo.

Then you can cut the heart out -- which is soft and oh so yummy.

If I purchase artichoke hearts in a can -- I saute them with a little tomato sauce, black olives (I may try mushrooms now after reading all these posts) -- great side dish.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the first time I ever saw an artichoke was a some function in northern Ca.

Mind you, I am sitting next to a native of that area. Here comes the meal, it's placed in front of me. I asked what the green thing was and proceeded to eat the other food first. Then looking at the whole artichoke I tryed cutting it in to manageable pieces then started to eat.

Wow, I was pricked on the inside of my mouth, but continued to chew and chew and chew.The fiber I ingested was a lot. I finally got to the fuzzy stuff and looked over at my friend,and asked her what that was, she told me and asked me where all the leaves were? By then and said, I don't know what God was thinking when he made this, it's killing me. She then told me, You're not suppose to eat the leaves, you are to scape the tender part with you teeth and throw the other part away! By then the whole table was roaring with laughter to my dismay.

I have since learned the art of eating artichokes.

I have them on pizza in pasta salads in the summer,use them in dips in the winter. Cook them up and and dip them in butter.

I have learned my lesson, that was quite painful at the time. To ask questions first, and proceed accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...