GreaseSpot Cafe

"Bewitched" Movie

Pirate1974

This should be interesting.

Nicole Kidman is going to play Samantha in the big-screen version of the 60s tv show.

Will Ferrell is going to be Darren after Jim Carey and Mike Myers reportedly turned it down.

No word yet on who's going to be Endora, but Shirley MacLaine would be a great choice.

Set to start filming in April for release in 2005.

You know, Pirate, that was one of my favorite T.V. shows and now I find myself occasionally watching a rerun.

It was such a light-hearted comedy, but I still find myself going back and forth on whether I SHOULD, mentally citing the pros and cons, and then sometimes end up giving myself permission to go ahead and indulge. LOL!

WB

Cool! Me too, Pirate, loved that show. Catch the reruns on cable now and then. Nicole Kidman would be a great Sam. Elizabeth Montgomery, a total babe in the original. icon_cool.gif

Will Ferrel as Darren...hmmm. Dunno. He'll be good but Jim Carey would be perfect. Dick York was a good actor, Carey kind of has the same look and body language.

baby's calling me home,

she keeps on callin' me home....

(boz scaggs)

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Jim Carrey or Mike Myers or Will Ferrell as Darren would be wrong.

The part of Darren is not so much a comedic part as the part of a straight man.

That part didn't require comedic timing or anything. Neither Dick Sargent nor Dick York were comic actors, couldn't be funny if their lives depended on it.

It was the situations that were funny.

Put a straight (not referring to sexuality) actor in that role, I say.

quote:
Originally posted by Steve!:

I think that Jim Carrey or Mike Myers or Will Ferrell as Darren would be wrong.

The part of Darren is not so much a comedic part as the part of a straight man.

I think that Jim Carrey and Will Ferrell could potentially play that part, even if it will be a bit of a stretch. Darren was basically a guy stressed out by who his wife was, but tried to be calm about it. I think that those guys can do the stressed out thing well, although Jim Carrey is naturally overdramatic about it.

quote:
Darren was basically a guy stressed out by who his wife was, but tried to be calm about it.

Yeah, but what made it funny was those rubber-faced bug-eyed double-takes he did when he hollered "Sam!!" just before he was turned into a toad or something. The original Darren, not Darren II who was never as good.

I think Carey would be great at it.