GreaseSpot Cafe

"The Secret"...Anyone read or watched it?

whatsuptwi

Anyone seen or read "The Secret" yet? It was featured on Oprah a couple of weeks ago.

I'm pretty excited about this because it's a bunch of stuff that I truly believe in and operate. Actually, I learned everything that's in the secret years ago in a class called, "Power For Abundant Living". It was Christian focused, but taught the great principles of "Believing Equals Receiving", "Release From Your Prisons", "Believing Images of Victory" and so on which are also taught in the secret as "The Law of Attraction".

I like "The Secret" because it teaches these awesome laws without getting into any type of religious system. I've always been strong in believing and it's what has propelled my DJ career so far and so quickly. It can be applied to any part of your life for abundance and power in every situation. There are no limits, no ceiling to what you can accomplish.

So, just wondering if anyone else has read or seen it and if you have, have you begun to apply it in your life...and if you have...what results have you seen?

Also, for you past Way believers out there, do you see this as helpful or harmful to the Ministry? It's almost scary how much this book/dvd is "Power For Abundant Living" and the "Blue Book" incarnate. But, I think it is a good tool, spreading the message about the immutable laws of God, no matter what label they put on it. I've heard that churches are also using "The Secret" materials to teach their congregations, also.

post-772-1173128634_thumb.jpg

"Do You Want To Know a Secet?"--------The Beatles

Good tune. I always get a chuckle out of the part where the singer(I think it was George) flubbs the line and says "I've known a secret for THE week or two." instead of"---------for A week or two."

Believing = Receiving? Nah. I don't buy it.

While it may be true that a positive outlook on life is beneficial to ones mental and physical health, you simply can not make things happen or prevent things from happening by thinking them into or out of existance.

Whatsup----------I suspect if you examine your success as a DJ a little more closely, you may find that you excelled because you took the necessary course of action needed to bring about those results not because you willed it into fruition through a thought process.

"Believe" it or not, that's my opinion.

edited to correct some spelling.

Edited by waysider

I have been to a number of conferences that Wayne Dyer and Dr John DeMartini have been featured speakers, both are a part of "The Secret." Both are exellent speakers, both FAR EXCEED any speaker I ever heard during my 28 years in twi. That said, I agree, The secret is alot like pfal..........but their basic premise is different. DeMartini and Dyer come from the Depak Chopra school which teaches that "the universe provides" as opposed to identifying the power as the power of God.

Last year at the "Parker Seminar" in Las Vegas (a seminar for Chiropractors, John DeMartini started as a chiro) my boss asked my why I wasn't taking notes when John was teaching. I told her he was cute as a button but I could teach HIM a few things if he wanted to hear his teaching with bible references. :confused:

Whatsup.......if it makes you happy........coooool. But, do you REALLY need a PFAL clone to put its mark of approval on your life now? Are you still in twi???? or are you out?

radar

It seems to still load up the misfortunate with guilt and shame ---because they don't live by "the law of attraction"

Did these guys in Irag coming back attract all the injuries...?

Do we attract cancer?

Does a Mom and Dad attract a son or daughter born with Autism?

I dont think so....

It simplifies life a little to much for me.

this is the third thread on this subject,

I dont get how all these poeple keep on discovering some great secret (The Secret, The Greatest Secret In The World etc,,) that is the same same same old stuff repackaged in a different way over and over and over and over and over and over and over, and they keep pretending as if its something newly discovered for the very first time......

How much does this one cost?

ww, please send your questions to oprah

thank you

All questions to Oprah along these lines, will be forwarded to that

psychic she features weekly, in the afternoon.

What's her name?? Sylvia-something-or-other???

I bet she sees spiders too!!

:biglaugh:

I have been to a number of conferences that Wayne Dyer and Dr John DeMartini have been featured speakers, both are a part of "The Secret." Both are exellent speakers, both FAR EXCEED any speaker I ever heard during my 28 years in twi. That said, I agree, The secret is alot like pfal..........but their basic premise is different. DeMartini and Dyer come from the Depak Chopra school which teaches that "the universe provides" as opposed to identifying the power as the power of God.

radar

Here's a couple of thoughts from DeMartini and Chopra that illustrate a MAJOR difference in their basic premise from anything taught by TWI:

When the VOICE and the VISION on the INSIDE become more profound and more clear and loud than the opinions on the OUTSIDE you've MASTERED Your Life" ~ Dr John F. Demartini

Walk with those seeking Truth. Run from those who think they've found it. --Deepak Chopra

The Secret is an introduction to The Law of Attraction.

Law of Attraction = What you focus or put your attention on E X P A N D S

"As a man thinketh so shall he be" ~ Jesus

"All that we are arises from our thoughts" ~ Buddha

"We create our universe as we go along" ~ Winston Churchill

The thoughts we entertain form the basis of our core beliefs and they hold the key to what we are attracting in our lives.

Everything ~ is ~ ENERGY

Our feelings and emotions (which generate from our thoughts) are vibrational energy and they attract similar energy.

Like attracts like.

Thoughts (or more importantly FEELINGS) of lack, sickness, poverty, anger, sadness, fear vibrate at a level which attracts more of those circumstances.

FEELINGS AND EMOTIONS of health, love, peace, freedom and other joyful vibrations attract those positive people, circumstances and situations to our lives.

"When you pray, believe that you have already received."

The constant thoughts, feelings, and emotions of your being are in essence your beliefs, your vibrational match to what you are attracting.

Change how you think about things, and the things you think about change.

This is all well and good for those who have a the faculties to think clearly about it...with the luxury of living past survival, but this really gets my goat that the affluent of the world can stay on this high horse of self righteous thinking while the majority of the world can't get past starvation, AIDS and malaria etc.

Im sorry. I cannot agree with the concept that all those people never tried to search for wisdom...while they were too busy searching for their next meal...

I will stay off this thread I guess, because to me -- just the luxury to choose is an affluent western cultural premise not possible in many parts of the world.

For me, if it has any ring of real truth, it has to fit globally which hardly any do.

When I was in 4TH grade I tried to levitate a table by thinking it into being.

Uh huh. Yup. Shore did.(Try it, that is.)

It's very humbling to find out you can be "out-believed" by a table.

Your thinking something will come to pass will only manifest itself in the real world if that thinking compels you to take the necessary action.

I can "think" about becoming a better guitar player 'til the cows come home but until I commit to some time spent "in the woodshed", my skills will not improve one iota.

The problem with a lot of this stuff is that people fail to see the real essence of it ." As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he".

It's talking about your outward character being an extention of your true heart, not the ability to float tables or play killah guitar licks or find an apartment that has red drapes or be oblivious to your parental instinct about the dangers of your child crossing a busy street.

Well, that's my opinion. SHHH! Don't tell anyone.(It's a secret.)

For me, if it has any ring of real truth, it has to fit globally which hardly any do.

Nicely put. It is not a global truth for sure. Although, I do believe positive thinking helps everyone to some degree, if nothing other than a better outlook on life, even if it is the positive thoughts of "we will find food for dinner tonight." It is better IMO to die having tried and hoped for something better than dying having lived a miserable unsatisfied life. I does need to be tempered with a dose of reality and common sense of course.

That being said, there is some truth to this concept. I think the basic idea is that you deside to strive for something you want achieve and you don't let anyone including yourself talk you out of it. In order to do that you have to think positively and continue to press forward. Although, with everything there is a cost. Not everyone can be Oprah and given the opportunity to become her not everyone would be willing to make the sacrifices that it takes, including a personal life, a family life and other potentially important things. I think most very successful people have given up certain things that many of us normal folk cherish, like a healthy family and social life.

Of course, IMO many people in our culture aren't willing to give up things like American Idol in order to read something that will help their business life or give up Starbucks in order to have more money to get out of debt, or giving up driving a few blocks instead of walking or riding a bike in order to get some excersize or save gas and polute less and etc etc. I am guilty of some of this petty stuff myself at times.

Anyways, I think this secret thing is more about taking what would have been called "believing action" and not just positive thinking. I don't think that is a terrible thing. Decide to do something and do it. Genius!

Don't get me wrong, I would not have gone back to college and now attempt a hard Master's degree while pushing 50 if I thought attitude wasn't important...

I think mental standards are extremely important and essential. I just think all the talk about choice and positiveness is lost on much of the world's population. So why is this so effective for the affluent western minority where we have running water and indoor toilets, but no one is sending "The Secret" or any of these other "truths" to Angola or Dafur....dont they know that its all about the law of attraction. please gag me.

That Oprah show did spark my interest with much curiosity and skepticism. I'm sure there are points to it, but the thing WW brings up about those who brought illnes, misfortune, and pain to their lives attracted it is alarming and unreal. What is the REAL answer these SECRET people have to that?

My wife was involved with Nuskin and its multi-level marketing business until it started to push this "Secret" nonsense. We don't create our own universe; that's God's business. Whereas PFAL seems to limit God's participation to our believing, The Myth of Attraction removes God from the equation altogether, in essence making us all gods (and not particularly wise ones, at that). One of the speakers on the videotape claims to be a quantum physicist, as if that somehow would give credibility to this hokum. It is true that Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle predicts that we cannot observe something without affecting it, there is no reason to predict an "attraction," and the effect is smaller the larger the matter is that we observe. I might kill a microbe by sticking it under a microscope slide, but my looking at Mt. Everest has VERY LITTLE effect on the mountain.

And, as another poster pointed out, they try to sway you with guilt. Instead of "You know what killed that little boy! It was the fear -- in the heart --of that mother!" you get bad stull by attracting it, so it's all your fault. I guess if I'm God, I'm also the Devil.

What a crock.

George

whatsuptwi wrote

"Also, for you past Way believers out there, do you see this as helpful or harmful to the Ministry? It's almost scary how much this book/dvd is "Power For Abundant Living" and the "Blue Book" incarnate. But, I think it is a good tool, spreading the message about the immutable laws of God, no matter what label they put on it. I've heard that churches are also using "The Secret" materials to teach their congregations, also."

Anything not officially approved by the Board of Directors and presented on their behalf is a work of the adversary.

• 3 months later...

A few differences between The Secret and PFAL come to mind...no slimy pervert who had figured out how to get HIS needs and wants lined up (in the motorcoach) hiding his degenerate behavior under the mantle of THE MAN OF GAWD for our generation...no required tithe of 10% just to be "spat upon" by GAWD...never mind living on a "need basis" and we'd appreciate it if you'd keep that need low...no debt, no house payments etc...so you can send everything above your meager need to us...and attempting to convince us that we are living the more than abundant life.

The Secret or Piffle??? Hmmm...no contest which one I'll choose.