GreaseSpot Cafe

Banning Booing

socks

Don't know if this will generate much discussion, or what kind if it does. I heard this on the radio this morning, and found this story about it online. Apparently the practice of "booing" at sports games may be banned, if one person has their way.

I particularly liked this quote from the story - "In Philadelphia booing was part of our game-day experience. We even booed the booers if we felt they were booing the wrong player for the wrong reasons.

Now the executive director of the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association, Mike Colbrese, says he believes boos don't belong in sports, or at least in sports that his organization sanctions. "

Read the whole article HERE.

Waddya think? Will this affect Halloween too?

Edited by socks

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine what would happen if people started booing in church.
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

i heard this on the radio too socks and i thought "you've got to be kidding" what goes next ? cheering ?

maybe you can hold a big sign that says "BOO"

i haven't read the article but this is crazy. i love to boo and i boo really well

was thinking of a really long boring sermon and we all start booing and they bring out that giant cane etc.

Ha -Giant cane--I was seeing the Bishops Staff in my minds eye when you said that.....OK...preacher you're done....

The sermons might actually get alot better, if Vito from the Bronx and Sully from the South End, who are quick to tell you loudly exactly what they think always, acted in church like they do in real life

On a slightly related subject, I remember there was a much maligned baseball player for the Giants in the 80s named Lemaster. He got so sick of it he removed his last name from the back of his uniform and replaced it with "BOO". I think the league fined him for it.

Can't say I've been to alot of games, but concerts are my thing. Do you know how hard it is to get any enjoyment when someone or a group of people next to you are booing? I think it's rude...

Right, Hap. I was relating it to my experience with concerts, since I don't go to games. I think there are parallels here.

Thanks for the article, Socks…I agree with the author – booing is democratic…And a little off topic here - but awhile back my son came up with a name for a band: Boo – you suck! Which I thought would really generate a vicious circle of frustration – especially if the band was really bad. The audience would keep yelling “Boo – you suck” after each tune and the band would keep playing thinking the audience loved them.

I think that its ridiculous...however I see the touchy feely logic

If you have excessive emotional parent at siad game ...allowing this over the top jerk to express himself may cause him to walk out and slug the ref, the coach the whoever...and didn't some kid get attacked in Florida?

But in Pro-games ---no way Booing is part of it

Maybe they should issue a "booing license", affirming with reasonable certaintly, that said person won't go mad, run out on the gym floor, and bite the ref by the ankle..

Get a paper signed off by a psychologist, a therapist, and half a dozen personal references.

That oughta make some money, for somebody..

:biglaugh:

This is the way I think of it:

If I have to pay for it, I can boo if I want to. If I don't have to pay for it - I should refrain from booing! (we don't pay for little league games and other school sports events )

Yep.... wuzzzifacation of America continued.... okay little league.. maybe not. But in school BOO BOO BOO, don't like it ??? Don't play. If you suck you should know you suck...... get better or don't play. Awwwwwwww he's doing his best....

hmmmmmm you don't extend that sentiment to your surgeon do you???????? NO you want THE BEST! Not some mediocre guy who "is doing his best". Crap... get over it.

hmmmmmm you don't extend that sentiment to your surgeon do you????????

I cant recall if Ive ever actually booed a surgeon.

Im not emotionally invested enough in any high school teams to care one way or another whether or not they win or lose, Although I do applaud a well played game, I dont see any plus side for me booing a kid who makes a mistake or a bonehead play.

Fellow students, fans -sure-go for it, Its the overzealous parents and blood sport adults who lose perspective on what they are watching that can give me the creeps

I'm feeling like such a goody two-shoes after reading this thread.

I'll admit to occasionally having booed refs/umps at pro games when they've made a glaringly bad call, but it really irks me when people boo their own home team. Do they think that's going to encourage the players to do better?

I was taught as a child, both in school and by my parents, that booing is bad form, poor sportsmanship, and just plain rude. I still cringe when I hear it because it was so drilled into me as wrong.

I once took my little nephew, about 7 or 8 years old, to see his big brother (about 11 or 12) play in a little league game. There was this loud-mouthed mother sitting next to us, booing the ref, booing the other team---boo boo boo. She was an embarrassment. I said to my nephew, loud enough that the woman could hear me, "It's really not very classy to boo, honey." I'm sure she thought I was a big loser. Now all of you pro-booers know I am, too. Hahahahahaahahahaha!

Not only should booing be banned, but cheering should be mandated. There should be cameras set up to see who is not cheering enthusiastically enough. Students should even turn in parents that voice dissent to the team, or to anything the teacher union board promotes.

Dissent will be allowed during hate week, when people exposed as inadequate cheerers will be booed, while they are publicly flogged.

OK, just sayin' ... it seems a little Orwellian ...