GreaseSpot Cafe

Banning Booing

socks

Yep.... wuzzzifacation of America continued.... okay little league.. maybe not. But in school BOO BOO BOO, don't like it ??? Don't play. If you suck you should know you suck...... get better or don't play. Awwwwwwww he's doing his best....

Al I was thinking along the same lines as Linda Z. Booing a team mate of the visiting team is really uncalled for. And nobody in these games should ever boo a Ref! That's extremely bad taste

hmmmmmm you don't extend that sentiment to your surgeon do you???????? NO you want THE BEST! Not some mediocre guy who "is doing his best". Crap... get over it.

Actually, Al, my surgeon would have to be a pro, and if he screwed up, he wouldn't get boo'd - - he'd get sued!

Edited by krysilis

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I heard it on the radio I figured there would be a HUGE backlash, as it sounded like they said there was a guy trying to get "booze" banned.

So unofficially the counts seems to be pret' near all wouldn't support a ban on booing, across the board, but would encourage self-control with a dash of consideration. ? And allow for a difference between pro and non-pro sports. ?

I agree with kids sports for sure - we should give the kids a break, encouragement.

It just makes me kind of queasy to have another rule/law propose to govern personal behavior when it could be handled more directly at things like school events by simple reminding people - these are your kids. They need to get up tomorrow and feel half way decent about themselves, come on.

Edited by socks

Professional sports is a form of entertainment whose participants make (at least at the uppermost levels) ridiculously large salaries. Audience participation(ie: booing) is all part of the show.

"Kids' sports", on the other hand, is not primarily a commercial venture at its core.

It can be entertaining,yes, but that is not its primary purpose. There are moments when a healthy boo is fitting of the situation but those moments don't fit the same criteria as those applied to a professional event.

My son played hockey all the way from "learn to skate" through bantam. He learned a lot of great lessons about life, teamwork and sportsmanship. I asked him once if he could hear us shouting encouragement from the sidelines. He just gave me a puzzled look and said,"Nah, I just stay focused on the game."

Kids! Who can figure 'em?

As much as I don't like booing, I don't think a rule or a law against it should be put in place. That's silly. If we're going to legislate politeness, I'd much sooner see a law against bad table manners, like talking with your mouth full in public. :nono5: I once saw a man floss his teeth at the table in a restaurant.

Let's get our priorities straight.

We have to start somewhere....

Daniel Boo ne. Gotta go.

Boo ze - gone.

Inappropriate "boo yahs!!!" - out.

Boo lean logic - scratch it out. Gone.

Anyone named "Bo" - suspect. Keep an eye on 'em.

Boo ks. No deal baby.

Boo m. All noise, no poise. Scram.

Steps. We're going to have to take steps.

Nose pickers!!!!

Good point Excaneedra. We'll need a list, and some rules of engagement to deal with them. Instructional materials for how to handle nose-waste properly. Disposal locations. Toxicity standards. Sneeze Measuring technologies.

Much work to be done. MUCH work.

Edited by socks

Excordilla, it was an honor to be here for that!

Hmmm. Nose pickers get no boo's? Apparently the right to extract natural waste from one's nostrils using one's own finger(s) supercedes the rights of those who might accidentally see the extraction taking place and who would choose to express their own distaste for such a thing? Figuratively speaking?

Hmmm. I guess we can start spelling it Amerika too???

I'll see your boo and raise you two boo's!!!

Note to self: Exceptions to proposed Anti-Boo Legislation will need to be clearly spelled out.

Boo bs. Will be allowed, regardless and without prejudice.

Not to worry, ductape. Some things will have to be off limits, metaphorically speaking of course, in relation to the pending Boo Bans. Still there's crazies in every movement so it's good to get some things straight upfront and out on the table. So to speak. We can hope. Thanks for all the input and sharing! It's really given me a boost er-lift reading everyone's posts! I know if we put our heads to it we can make this work with all of these contributions! :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Edited by socks

Hmmm...I just noticed something. We may have been hacked, apparently by Anti-Boo's, or perhaps a fringe Pro-Boo group. I saw at the bottom of the page in the Ads - "Dixie Chicks Ringtones". I'm not sure what this means, it could be good, or no. Dunno.