GreaseSpot Cafe

Lamb

Ca_dreaming

Easter is right around the corner and well Lamb is a choice for some;

It is a weekly choice at our home. Try this:

2 lb. boneless leg of lamb, cut to about an inch thick when open.

Marinate : 1 Tablespoon each of minced garlic, fresh or dry.

1 T. course black pepper.

1 T. each of water and Cider vinegar.

2 Tablespoons olive oil.

Combine all and add lamb, and let set in frig for an hour.

Put oven on to broil and put meat and marinate in cast iron skillet.

Broil 10 min. each side. You want this to be med. rare or 140 degrees. Slice and serve.

4 serving.

You can also do the same and then dice up meat for shishkabobs on the grill in the summer with whatever veggies you like.

Enjoy!!!

Ca_Dreaming,

I've tried the boneless leg of lamb only one time but I was disappointed in the way it turned out. Probably all my fault in the way I prepared it. But I has a question fer 'ya... what's the advantage to boneless? When I do a leg of lamb, I use the whole leg (with the little end parts cut off), slather it with garlic juice, pepper and kosher salt and pop it into the oven with a meat thermometer.

Always turns out just right. Ummmm... lamb.

sudo

Roast Leg of Lamb is wonderful, the boneless is quicker to fix and gets that sizzle like a steak would. Crisper on the outside med. rare on the inside. For some reason, prepared in the broiler or grill, my husband says it doesn't have that gamey taste, (whatever that is) to me lamb is always sweet..Yumyum.

I love the lamb in a Gyros sandwich.

Flat bread, some kinda white sauce, onions, and lamb.

Never have tried it any other way.

So where does one get a leg of lamb??

I've not seen it in the grocery stores up here.

Do you have to go to a specialty meat shop?

We have a couple of those here in town.

Is this something they would have "in stock"?

Grandma's Leg of Lamb

Prepare a bone-in leg of lamb by "drilling" holes with a shap knife and putting mint and garlic in each hole (about ten holes.)

Make a wet paste out of:

Minced garlic,

Romano cheese

Italian Bread crumbs

Minced mint

Fresh lemon juice ( at least 3 lemons)

Extra virgin olive oil

Make about 2 or 3 cups of this paste. Completely cover the lamb with the paste.

Preheat oven to 450F. Place lamb on rack in a heavy roasting pan and put in oven, immediately reducing the heat to 350F. Roast at approx 20 min per pound. (Check a good cookbook for temperatures according to the way you like lamb.)

For a real treat - cut white potatoes and sweet potatoes in quarters and spray olive oil on them. Place around the roast when there is approximately one hour left. Let the roast stand for 12 minutes before carving.

The meat has a delicious crust that keeps the juices in and the potatoes will be a bit crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.

David,

Re:"So where does one get a leg of lamb??

I've not seen it in the grocery stores up here."

A lot of plain grocery stores don't carry lamb routinely because it doesn't sell well. They most often will carry it at Easter time if at all. Down here the Kroger's stores will have a very small lamb selection and usually no legs. Our higher end Schnucks will always have a large selection of lamb chops but not always a full leg. However, they will get you nearly anything you want on request.

I have four ladies who work for me. Three of them have never even tried lamb. Aren't interested in trying it out. The other lady says she doesn't like it from the one time she tried it.

I can't understand peoples' reluctance to try new foods.

sudo

Leg of Lamb - Greek Recipe...

Boneless or bone-in leg of lamb (I figure about 0.5 lb/person with a little extra for hearty eaters)

About 10 peeled cloves of garlic

FRESH oregano and thyme - probably about 4-6 oz/each

Olive Oil

Greek Seasoning (like Cavanders)

about 10 potatos peeled and cut into chunks

1 8-12oz can of tomato sauce

Rinse the meat and place it on a cutting board.

Let it get up to room tempreture - or darn close to it - I'm not kidding - this makes a difference...

Using a very sharp knife, make slits in the meat - like pockets - and place cloves of garlic in the slots.

Rub the outside of the leg with liberal amounts of olive oil

Sprinkle with Greek seasoning

Place the sprigs of FRESH oregano and thyme all over the meat.

Take the potatoes and lightly coat with olive oil.

Pour the tomato sauce over them and coat them some more.

Add some Greek seasoning

Place the meat and potatoes in a roasting pan. I place the meat on a rack.

Make a tin-foil tent over the leg of lamb.

Place in oven at about 325 degrees with a meat theometer in the leg, at the meatiest part.

The meat will cook and juices will help to roast the potatoes.

Remove the foil tent after about the first hour.

Drink liberal amounts of ouzo and greek wine (if you can stand the stuff) while waiting.

Remove from oven when theometer is just about to the 140 degree part.

*This is key: Let the meat sit for about 15-20 mins. before carving.

Cover it with a hot, damp kitchen towel while it is sitting. It will cook a little more once its out of the oven.

Carve and serve with the potatoes, Greek salad, rolls, fresh asparagras or peas (with lemon sauce), and lots of ouzo or greek wine (if you can stand the stuff.)

Greek Easter this year is on the same Sunday as western Easter - we will be coooking and serving leg of lamb for BOTH families, as we observe both holidays.

OPA!

Roast Leg of Lamb is wonderful, the boneless is quicker to fix and gets that sizzle like a steak would. Crisper on the outside med. rare on the inside. For some reason, prepared in the broiler or grill, my husband says it doesn't have that gamey taste, (whatever that is) to me lamb is always sweet..Yumyum.

Lamb won't have a gamey taste if it is spring lamb (which usually means that it comes from New Zealand) and if it was slaughtered before it was 3 months old, I believe.

If you've ever had mutton (sheep) - that's the definition of gamey - and stringy. I hate mutton - the texture is the one thing that really turns me off - no thanks!

Edited by ChasUFarley

I love the lamb in a Gyros sandwich.

Flat bread, some kinda white sauce, onions, and lamb.

Never have tried it any other way.

So where does one get a leg of lamb??

I've not seen it in the grocery stores up here.

Do you have to go to a specialty meat shop?

We have a couple of those here in town.

Is this something they would have "in stock"?

David,

My parents order 4 lambs every year from a local, organic farm. They're slaughtered, packaged and delivered to them, then they send care parcels to us kids. Maybe you can find a local supplier? I'm very much a lamb-snob and most of what is sold as lamb and ordered through stores is really mutton.

Now, that said...these recipes are really lovely, I think. I'll just slip in two more, which are favorites of my kids, and the only way I can get my son to eat anything resembling meat...

Shepherd's Pie

And the second, Lamb Puffs, is my own recipe, so I'll just tell you how I do it, but, be flexible with it, because it's not a hard and fast mix.

Lamb Puffs

lamb, either ground or minced, about a pound.

1 medium carrot

2 shallots

3 cloves garlic (more if you love it)

1 T minced chives, fresh

1 T minced rosemary, fresh

2 tsp. Worcesteshire

6 oz. mushrooms (I prefer dangakes) processed fine/

stock (I make my own lamb stock, but chicken will do, or even veggie)

butter

puff pastry

demi-glace sauce.

In a little butter, or butter and olive oil mixed, sautee shallots and garlic until sauce and fragrance is released. If your lamb is already cooked, add it now and heat through. If your lamb is raw, add it and brown. Process the carrot very fine, and add. add a little stock to moisten the mixture, then add the mushrooms. Cook over medium heat until the mixture has body and tends to lump up onto a spoon. Add the herbs, stir well, remove from heat.

Now, I make my own puff pastry, but, I have used those pastry shells that you can buy frozen in the store and they're just fine. So, make your puff pastry cups and bake in a 425 degree oven until risen and golden. Leave them slightly underdone...maybe 5 minutes before you'd normally take them out.

Fill them with lamb mixture until they are heaped nicely, then put a little pastry cap on the top. Pop them in the oven for 6-7 minutes until the pastry is just how you like it.

Top with a demi-glace sauce, drizzling it over the puff, don't make it swim.

I serve these with a green salad, sauteed spinach and spaghetti squash.

Yours Baaa-ingly,

~QT

QT- I look forward to trying your receipes, they sound wonderful. Mutton is bad, hard to get used to.

David- I purchase the boneless leg of lamb at a place close to us called TRADER JOES, you can locate any close to you by checking out their website.www.traderjoes.com Fun place to shop. If your cooking for one or two I would use the boneless, ask the local grocer too.

Enjoy everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
I have four ladies who work for me. Three of them have never even tried lamb. Aren't interested in trying it out. The other lady says she doesn't like it from the one time she tried it.

I can't understand peoples' reluctance to try new foods.

I can't understand people's reluctance to eat lamb - but all the more for those who love it (yum). Specially the NZ variety.

• 1 month later...

Here is an EXCELLENT lamb recipe....my family and all of our friends we've cooked this for have LOVED it!!!! It's from the Barefoot Contessa (she's the best!)

the barefoot contessa's grilled leg of lamb

2 pounds (2 pints) plain yogurt (regular or

low-fat)

1/2 cup good olive oil, plus more for

brushing grill

1 lemon, zested

1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3

lemons)

3/4 cup fresh whole rosemary leaves (2 large

bunches)

2 teaspoons kosher salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 (5-pound) butterflied leg of lamb (9

pounds bone-in)

Combine the yogurt, olive oil, lemon zest

and juice, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a

large non-reactive bowl. Add the lamb,

making sure it is covered with marinade.

Marinate in the refrigerator, covered,

overnight or for up to 3 days.

Bring the lamb to room temperature. Prepare

a charcoal grill with hot coals. Scrape the

marinade off the lamb, wipe the meat with

paper towels, and season it generously with

salt and pepper. Brush the grill with oil to

keep the lamb from sticking, and grill on

both sides until the internal temperature is

120 to 125 degrees for rare. This will take

40 minutes to 1 hour, depending on how hot

the grill is.